Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

So.

I reached out to someone we all know that is involved with TP and David. I was told this.

“Mr. Lynch is focused on his work right now and not accepting any emails, letters, submissions, etc. so that he can retain that focus.”

Pretty sure this confirms that he’s working on something. The way I read it implies that he’s maybe writing.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr Lynch, I expect you to be very busy and I apologise for the interruption in requesting comment on something as trivial as eating panties."
Histeria wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:19 am
www.vice.com/en/article/akv7e4/why-does ... -his-mouth

"I reached out to David Lynch, hoping he could provide just a little more information. An intermediary responded, telling me that Mr. Lynch was very busy and would not be commenting on the goings on in his web forum from almost 20 years ago."
Also note every single comment last year was working on "his art ever since covid started."

Also, he often said "day one of weekend projects which this recently is the same as weekday projects". Now he says "day one of boarding the fun work train for weekend projects", a much clearer distinction.

So there's a distinction now between weekend projects and weekday projects, where there wasn't one during 2021.

Ffs we're back at this literary interpretation of casual conversation again :mrgreen:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I used to be such an intermediary for an A-list director. We would receive crazy amounts of unsolicited screenplays, pieces of music, actors showreels and interview requests every day. Almost every single request we had to meet with a standard "The director can't be reached because he is busy working on a film" type response. And probably that was what we wrote even if that film was barely an idea yet. There was just too many people asking to give non stock repsonses.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:11 am So.

I reached out to someone we all know that is involved with TP and David. I was told this.

“Mr. Lynch is focused on his work right now and not accepting any emails, letters, submissions, etc. so that he can retain that focus.”

Pretty sure this confirms that he’s working on something. The way I read it implies that he’s maybe writing.
Sorry to say, Dougie, but that just looks like a standard form response to me - I wouldn't read anything into it. Lynch very well could be working on something but I don't think that's an indication that he is.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Unpopular opinion but I'd like Lynch to do perhaps a movie (as I've said before) following Carrie Page, Richard, and Audrey as a new FWWM type thing rather than an outright Season 4. I think the Return would have worked better shorter too. I think Lynch still has interesting things to say in the TP world and adjacent worlds, but I'd rather a tighter focus and shorter runtime next time around. Also an unpopular opinion but then I'd like to see Lynch and Frost either write a pilot for or simply transfer the rights to a new team of hand-picked writers to launch a new revival of Twin Peaks (on Showtime or even back on a network) as a TV series. That's what I'd love - a new Lynch TP film and then a new series helmed initially by Lynch/Frost but also with episodes written by small team like the original series. I can't see them giving the rights or creative control to others, though, but I think it would take the pressure of them to helm it all themselves, still allow Lynch creative freedom to create another film in that world, and keep the IP alive with them as creative forces behind it but not necessarily bogged down by it so they and he can still work on other projects, such as whatever Wisteria/Unrecorded Night was going to be.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

We discussed this six months ago but didn't really land on anything, if I remember correctly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSj1RILlKmZ/

It's back, for what it's worth.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZxleQpPiy7
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Histeria wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:14 am
*lots of hints at 1950s setting plus Mordeen with similar.

**Mordeen also said at one point that it's possible Wisteria was the name of one entry rather than the whole thing but that it was still up in the air.
Is dead
Is dead
The Source.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Call him Dick.

- ???????
Moving Through Time. . .
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Sorry to say, Dougie, but that just looks like a standard form response to me - I wouldn't read anything into it. Lynch very well could be working on something but I don't think that's an indication that he is.
I figured I’d pass it along just in case. I had asked about sending him a letter. The way it was worded at first to me made it seem like something but after reading the posts above I agree that it’s more formal speak.
"Jade give two rides."
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah I’m intrigued by your idea of having a continuous Twin Peaks with Lynch and Frost as showrunners and a team of writers. I feel like a lot of the fanbase would be game for a movie if they did a continuation. But regardless, I still believe Coop is out there fighting. I’d love to see more of Carrie Page as well.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

DougieJones wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:25 am I figured I’d pass it along just in case. I had asked about sending him a letter. The way it was worded at first to me made it seem like something but after reading the posts above I agree that it’s more formal speak.
Yeah, I've done this stuff before and we would send stock responses to letters (or just not respond at all) but we wouldn't ever tell people they shouldn't even send correspondence in the first place.

Though I prefer the honesty up front to the canned response you'd usually get after the fact.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

That just means he's working on another lamp or something in his workshop. Stock response.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

There's just as much evidence it means he's working on a lamp than there is he's referring to finally making that Star Wars film he was offered decades ago. Both are interpretations.

However, there is evidence that he reads physical letters sent to him. Being busy is a common response to correspondence but less so for telling people not to send it in the first place. For starters, that's not how the postal service works :mrgreen:

There's also evidence that his "fun" weekend projects (the lamp and such; which we get glimpses of at the weekend on instagram) are now distinct from his "weekday" projects. Again, that could be Twin Peaks S4, a PlayStation advert, a memoir, an Abraham Lincoln biopic, company tax returns, whatever. I'm not suggesting it's what we all want it to be. In fact, if you said TP is the least likely explanation I'd probably agree with you.

I'm just saying there's context to things and they aren't said in a vacuum. In 2021, he often said his weekend projects are the same as his weekday projects because of the pandemic. In recent months, there's an explicit distinction between the two.

Again, I must stress in case I'm misinterpreted, this does not mean I think the 'work' is Twin Peaks or Unrecorded Night or Wisteria or whatever. It could be comissions for a new bespoke carpentry business for all we know. All I'm saying is I take the message that he's busy with 'work' (as distinct from 'his art' which was the stock response last year) at face value. That doesn't actually change much in terms of what we know, so it's all a bit academic.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

DougieJones wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:29 am Jonah I’m intrigued by your idea of having a continuous Twin Peaks with Lynch and Frost as showrunners and a team of writers. I feel like a lot of the fanbase would be game for a movie if they did a continuation. But regardless, I still believe Coop is out there fighting. I’d love to see more of Carrie Page as well.
I like this as well. They can have some key episodes directed by Lynch and Frost
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Depends on who they hire. All the top directors in the world queue up for a chance to helm Twin Peaks. If they go down the television journeyman route then I'd rather they didn't make it at all.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I primarily perceive Lynch as an artist, in the broadest sense of the word, and not strictly filmmaker, and I believe that he sees The Return as his work of art, so I think that there is no way that he would let anyone else direct Twin Peaks ever again. Imagine if someone else wanted to write the planned sequel to The Brothers Karamazov, and Dostoevsky said: "Yeah, you do it, I'm fine with that."
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)