Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i've had zoom meetings with 10 people over stuff far more trivial, uninteresting, and not necessary at all, than a video shoot with Donovan.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

im always having zoom meetings that coulda been a two sentence email.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:11 pm Sorry, a Zoom call meeting with nearly 10 people for a Donovan video comprising of basically one or two shots and some stock footage of stars and the ocean?
The flip side of this is that, as others have noted, it’s a little odd that no production designer or cinematographer would have been on this call if it were in fact about a major production. It’s just Lynch paid staff and/or former paid staff/inner circle.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I've always wondered if the Zoom call has anything to do with an Inland Empire DVD release, potentially via Criterion. I know there's been rumblings of a Criterion edition of IE for a while and I think a fair amount of the folks on the call had something to do with IE directly or at least from that time period (save maybe Mindy Ramaker? I know she was his personal assistant around then though). Perhaps a meeting to go over materials for special features or a new transfer, etc. At least that's where my mind went when that Zoom pic originally started floating around.
Last edited by Ickles on Mon May 10, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Right, but that's you. The way Lynch works and his focus on such a video I can't see ANY need for him to have a Zoom meeting like that to work on it.

In terms of the prod designer or cinematographer, they could have been working on something else at the time or busy.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I'm not sure about that, I think if Lynch were instructing a crew to shoot footage, he would want to give clear directions and stuff, "i want close ups of his hands stroking he chords, i want to see his eyes, i want it to be pitch black behind him, i want it to be dreamy". etc

dunno if he would say "just shoot some shit, im busy, no time"

Donovan is also a legend and old, and he probably wants to avoid re shoots, and wants people to get it right and make stuff clear n whatnot.

but what do i know, it coulda been Twin Peaks Ultimate Wisteria Endgame discussed too.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Ickles wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 pm I've always wondered if the Zoom call has anything to do with an Inland Empire DVD release, potentially via Criterion. I know there's been rumblings of a Criterion edition of IE for a while and I think a fair amount of the folks on the call had something to do with IE directly or at least from that time period (save maybe Mindy Ramaker? I know she was his personal assistant around then though). Perhaps a meeting to go over materials for special features or a new transfer, etc. At least that's where my mind went when that Zoom pic originally started floating around.
yeah that would make sense.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:30 pm it coulda been Twin Peaks Ultimate Wisteria Endgame discussed too.
I think you mean Twin Peaks Ultimate Wisteria Unrecorded Night Endgame. Let's be sure to get the full title correct. :lol:
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

In terms of the US release of INLAND EMPIRE that's due, how many units can you see that shifting? I've got plenty of time for the film and extras would interest me but I am just wondering how much interest there really is in the US for that release now?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Criterion releases stuff like 'The Tales of Hoffman' , 'Symbiotaxiplasm', 'Koko: A Talking Gorilla' that they have a very hard time recouping, they probably really do well with Lynch I think , all things considered.

I don't think they totally look at it as commerce. a lot of obscure art films under their banner, and they have that channel now too. the fact that people like us exist and type into Lynch forums endlessly like this, is something. I dunno if William Greaves gets this kind of interest.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Criterion releases stuff like 'The Tales of Hoffman' , 'Symbiotaxiplasm', 'Koko: A Talking Gorilla' that they have a very hard time recouping, they probably really do well with Lynch I think , all things considered.

I don't think they totally look at it as commerce. a lot of obscure art films under their banner, and they have that channel now too. the fact that people like us exist and type into Lynch forums endlessly like this, is something. I dunno if William Greaves gets this kind of interest.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Greaves is overdue for a resurgence!
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I check in on various Criterion forums and subreddits from time to time and anytime anybody starts a thread about what's on everybody's Criterion wishlist somebody will inevitably mention Inland Empire, without fail. Also if the replies to this tweet are any indication...they'll sell some copies: https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1 ... 2591137793
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I believe the thread where canthaveit started all this stuff about Wisteria was on Criterion's reddit page.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I dunno what a 4K scan of the 35mm blow up of SD video would look like....
I'm guessing that film blow up is the look Lynch wants.
but there may be ways to up rez the SD tapes he shot Inland Empire on a bit better now.

a lot of SD-shot Dr Who getting released to blu ray these days. I dunno how good they look.