Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Frost may have even viewed that as being too kind to the then president and too forgiving. I think Frost was just of the opinion, as many were, that there was no possiiblity of turning any ship around. I'm surprised Lynch was so nice to him. I mean, pretty much everyone thought he wouldn't improve as a president and indeed he didn't, he only got worse. So that post may have just angered Frost just as much if not more. But I don't know, this is just conjecture. It's not even a topic I think I've weighed in on before though I've seen Frost's political tweets and the famous unfollow discussed on here before, this is the first time I think I've weighed in on it. I'm not from the US and viewed all this stuff as an outsider, so I don't fully understand Frost's deep entrenchment in politics, but given how his social media is or was full of that stuff almost constantly I imagine his feelings on it all are very very deep and could definitely be a cause of him disliking and unfollowing others.

Does anyone know the approximate date of the unfollow? Does it coincide with all this stuff and/or the release of the book?
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Really don't thin Frost would unfollow because of that. In fact I didn't think he'd unfollow for practically anything.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

But as others pointed out, if he was angry about the Room to Dream stuff, that and the political stuff (which he was tweeting about several times a day at that point) might have been the final straw. He did unfollow Fenn too. And maybe others? But I don't know - maybe there was behind the scenes stuff involving TP or other disputes. None of us can really know.

All we know is that he seemingly did unfollow him at some point - and the TP Productions filings. Both of those things would seem to indicate some sort of feud, not necessarily of course but seems to indicate that everything isn't exactly completely rosy between them, and we know they've had contention in the past too so it's not the first time. Maybe the unfollow was just a simple, I'm not interested in these tweets, but then why not mute especially when he knows fans would notice? The TP Productions filing thing could also be innocuous, but it is a little strange, isn't it?
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Just checked into the Twitter thing. Seems as though Sabrina is following Mark but Mark isn’t following her back. So basically it’s only DKL and Sabrina he isn’t following out of everyone TP. I feel as though that maybe this is related to the change in management at TP Productions.

I definitely think this is a bit strange Jonah.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Had he been following Sabrina before? It's all very strange, but it's not like they could have forced him out is it? I mean if he did sever ties with TP Productions, it would have had to have been a consensual decision, right? And others - such as histeria - have pointed out he did mention the possibility of Season 4 after all this?

I don't know. It's a mystery.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Southerland’s statements about Mark’s contributions to the Return, and her seeming to distance him and the books from everything always came off so odd. As an invested fan, that diminished the importance of the books in the grand scheme to me. I know not all agree, but a United front across mediums would have been more exciting.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:28 pm Had he been following Sabrina before? It's all very strange, but it's not like they could have forced him out is it? I mean if he did sever ties with TP Productions, it would have had to have been a consensual decision, right? And others - such as histeria - have pointed out he did mention the possibility of Season 4 after all this?

I don't know. It's a mystery.
I’m not sure if he followed her before but I don’t think they forced him out. I see this as DKL wants to take TP in a new direction that Mark doesn’t agree with. Maybe DKL is making a 1950’s TP season that will be very different than Frost’s books and they agreed to part ways.
"Jade give two rides."
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm Southerland’s statements about Mark’s contributions to the Return, and her seeming to distance him and the books from everything always came off so odd. As an invested fan, that diminished the importance of the books in the grand scheme to me. I know not all agree, but a United front across mediums would have been more exciting.
Mark said this in an interview in 2017 that feels very relevant

“David and I talked for a year before we ever started working, so there’s no doubt that some of those ideas [in the new book] came up during that period of time. But also, you know, it was [me saying], “David, you go make the show, and do what you do best, and I’m gonna do that with the books.” So you have to trust your partner.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 03360/amp/
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Maybe Frost just got sick of feeling in Lynch's shadow (I know there was discussion that it seemed he had accepted that and didn't seem to mind it, but none of us know what he was feeling in his heart) and decided to bow out. As Brad says, it was odd how she seemed to distance him.

Or maybe he just felt, as I've said before, he felt he had said all he had to say with his books, was a bit tired of it being Lynch's show, or else he was fine with it and just decided to let Lynch run it from here on out. Sure, he talked about the posisiblity of more seasons, but that could just be saving face/for the benefits of the press and the show itself. (Plus there still could be future seasons, he just doesn't feel like being a part of them right now.) What people say publicly and what they feel privately are very different things. You know, maybe he was, as the quote above seems to indicate just fine with Lynch taking the show one way and him taking the books another way, and that feeling may have increased and he's just content now to step aside and let him do whatever he wants to do.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I think Mark will receive a ceremonial executive producer credit like FWWM and The Missing Pieces. After all it still will be characters he co created. I think at this point I’m at the theory that this will be a 1950’s TP season without Frost’s involvement
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm I think Mark will receive a ceremonial executive producer credit like FWWM and The Missing Pieces. After all it still will be characters he co created.
I agree, at the very least he has to get a "based on characters created by" credit, plus if he did step aside there's clearly going to be a financial agreement to do so, and he is likely to still receive a percentage of any sales. There could even be an agreement in place for him to right more books, though the last one had "Final" in the title.
DougieJones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm I think at this point I’m at the theory that this will be a 1950’s TP season without Frost’s involvement
I'm not crazy about that idea myself, but we'll see. (I'm fine with some 50's stuff but not a whole season's worth.)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Ugh, I hate this political crap constantly getting mixed up in art.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It seems to have filtered in to a lot of stuff lately - other movies, books, Stephen King is another good example. Then again, the current era has been very political, the whole world was watching the US president, that one in particular, and great art often does reflect the world's climate. (Brexit also filtered into some stuff, though not nearly as much?) It is a bit annoying seeing people fighting about it on social media and falling out over it, or it being worked into every storyline, etc. (Even the sitcom WIll and Grace, and all kinds of other media too!) But it is what it is, I guess. At least Twin Peaks itself didn't really have very heavy examples of this bleeding into it's actual on screen storyline.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:47 pm
DougieJones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm I think Mark will receive a ceremonial executive producer credit like FWWM and The Missing Pieces. After all it still will be characters he co created.
I agree, at the very least he has to get a "based on characters created by" credit, plus if he did step aside there's clearly going to be a financial agreement to do so, and he is likely to still receive a percentage of any sales. There could even be an agreement in place for him to right more books, though the last one had "Final" in the title.
DougieJones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:45 pm I think at this point I’m at the theory that this will be a 1950’s TP season without Frost’s involvement
I'm not crazy about that idea myself, but we'll see. (I'm fine with some 50's stuff but not a whole season's worth.)
That’s one of my big questions Jonah. Whether or not it takes place entirely in the 1950’s. Also sorry for exposing all of your posts Mordeen I feel bad! But I realized that the radio pic uploaded by Mordeen was of a girl listening to FDR. Obviously we know Kyle played FDR very recently so will we see a grey haired Coop sent back to the 50’s?
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I feel it won't be entirely set in the 50's if it goes that route. It might explore more of the origin of Judy/Sarah as a little girl, but I can't see a direct time travel route, plus it didn't seem like Richard and Carrie were in the past (if it picks up there, if the dream wasn't shattered with the scream, etc.). Also, as others have pointed out on here, Frost would likely have been interested in a 50's-set prequel, so I don't see it myself. Might be a part of it, certainly, but doubt it will be a full thing or a direct time-travel storyline.