Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:17 pm Frost may have even viewed that as being too kind to the then president and too forgiving. I think Frost was just of the opinion, as many were, that there was no possiiblity of turning any ship around. I'm surprised Lynch was so nice to him. I mean, pretty much everyone thought he wouldn't improve as a president and indeed he didn't, he only got worse. So that post may have just angered Frost just as much if not more.
I get that but what I'm saying is that Lynch's initial comment in the full interview was not in any way approving or disapproving. It was strictly matter of fact, distanced, analytical (albeit without much analysis attached). That’s what I'm saying Frost would have understood, though I understand how political Frost is and so maybe it was Lynch's offhandedness that might have upset him...but I don't think so. Pointless talking about it, was my other point.

And Agent Earle, I'm in agreement with you. Which is all I was trying to get across, that in this case I don't think we should look at political talk as having anything to do with the unfollow.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:58 pm I feel it won't be entirely set in the 50's if it goes that route. It might explore more of the origin of Judy/Sarah as a little girl, but I can't see a direct time travel route, plus it didn't seem like Richard and Carrie were in the past (if it picks up there, if the dream wasn't shattered with the scream, etc.). Also, as others have pointed out on here, Frost would likely have been interested in a 50's-set prequel, so I don't see it myself. Might be a part of it, certainly, but doubt it will be a full thing or a direct time-travel storyline.
Yeah I have to agree with you. It’s supposed to be 13 episodes according to the copyright so it’s possible we get one or two episodes in the 50’s but I can’t see the whole thing being set during then.
"Jade give two rides."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pm It seems to have filtered in to a lot of stuff lately - other movies, books, Stephen King is another good example. Then again, the current era has been very political, the whole world was watching the US president, that one in particular, and great art often does reflect the world's climate. (Brexit also filtered into some stuff, though not nearly as much?) It is a bit annoying seeing people fighting about it on social media and falling out over it, or it being worked into every storyline, etc. (Even the sitcom WIll and Grace, and all kinds of other media too!) But it is what it is, I guess. At least Twin Peaks itself didn't really have very heavy examples of this bleeding into it's actual on screen storyline.
The Return is extremely political, imo, but it works so well precisely because it isn't agenda-driven and because it presciently taps into the tenor of the times rather than being about a specific, trendy, on the nose thing.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I meant the specific stuff, direct references, etc.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:04 pm I meant the specific stuff, direct references, etc.
Sorry, I was actually agreeing with you. :D
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Lynch's comments always came across to me as being very in line with his belief that disruption is both natural and can be good, and I think his comment was about this theoretical potential in the situation, not the job performance in practice.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

These last few pages have been a great read! Thanks to everyone, this is getting exciting.

Sorry to keep going back to this, but… consider that part of Lynch’s deal with Netflix is that the entire project is filmed in secret, with no announcements. I imagine that Netflix would be game. Footage from Snoqualamie has already been shot, either quietly during the pandemic or during the Return. And everything else is being filmed on stages at Calvert.

We do know that Lynch was incredibly bothered about spoilers during filming of the Return. Perhaps he decided he didn’t want to deal with that again?
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

This is obviously not really based on anything but rampant, Lazy Sunday fueled daydreaming on my part...but when I imagine a 50s set thing with the Sarah/Judy origin story/prequel type stuff in it I don't imagine it being strictly limited to that narrative thread or even the rest of the TP world. Perhaps there would be a thread set in Hollywood in the 50s with a Marilyn Monroe type character or a Hollywood director character, with nods to MD. Maybe the threads intersect eventually if Sarah/the girl from New Mexico eventually moves to LA to pursue her dream of being in the movies, maybe Coop travels back to that time period somehow (Kyle has been referencing time/time travel a bit). Or, hell, Roswell is right there in NM so maybe there's a thread similar to what's described in Antelope with space aliens. Obviously none of this is probably true but there's a lot of possibilities for Lynch to take the 50s thing and run in a million different directions in it, if you don't assume he's strictly adhering to the world of TP/making a direct S4.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

madeleineferguson wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:47 pm These last few pages have been a great read! Thanks to everyone, this is getting exciting.

Sorry to keep going back to this, but… consider that part of Lynch’s deal with Netflix is that the entire project is filmed in secret, with no announcements. I imagine that Netflix would be game. Footage from Snoqualamie has already been shot, either quietly during the pandemic or during the Return. And everything else is being filmed on stages at Calvert.

We do know that Lynch was incredibly bothered about spoilers during filming of the Return. Perhaps he decided he didn’t want to deal with that again?
Netflix has been known in the past to drop stuff without any prior notice. I’m sure that if Lynch wanted to do this in total secret they’d do it
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The upcoming new Scream movie was mostly filmed on soundstages and as a result very few spoilers have leaked. Some did for the early outdoor-shot stuff, but everything shot in studio has remained mostly secure, apart from a lot of what's likely fake pseudo-leaks.

Not sure how Lynch would feel about shooting mostly in a studio, but he's certainly no stranger to it, and may like the extra control and security it provides like Hitchcock did. So I wouldn't be surprised if he amped up the in studio stuff even more. Additional loction stuff could be happening towards the end of the shoot. That said, I'm not sure anything is actually filming, or if it is it started very recently, last week or two. Deming being in NYC potentially discredits that too, though.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I don't know about the political issues (I thought Lynch's quote was pretty clear to begin with) but reading Conversations with MF, I had a distinct feeling he was slightly annoyed or frustrated with Lynch and that he felt Lynch was at his best working alone. Now some of those questions were a bit leading as well, I'd have to try and look for some of those quotes but that's the impression I got. It certainly made me think their future collaboration was unlikely.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

When I was rewatching part 18 of S3, the interior of the car that Cooper and Diane were in (after they had "crossed the threshold") caught my attention, it was not a modern car, its steering wheel was rather old fashioned (slim), likewise for the seats, while Cooper and Diane had that retro look (cue Cooper's hair). As they entered the motel room, you could see that the camera panning was halted just as it was about to expose the part of the wall where the TV set would appear in the morning. They did use the same room, but they tried to hide anything modern looking about it (which is why I think it was shot in the dark, did they ever turn the lights on?). It was not the same motel in the morning though, and neither was the car. I'd have to rewatch this though once more though. So time travel seemed to play a role there. When Richard wakes up it is the "present", but when they crossed the threshold "the day before" it looked like 50s to me. So maybe the story could be about something related exclusively to this piece of part 18, which would make sense if that were the place where to continue the story anyway.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Oh shit.

I'll see you again in 25 years. Who said it had to be in the future. What if it was 25 year in the past.

What year is this?

Just got a slight chill through my spine.

I do think Cooper has been on this crossing/mission dozens or hundreds of times. That's possibly why he's so jaded in P18. So functionary and mercenary. He knew what "430" was without being told it means miles on a dashboard. He knew exactly what he wanted from Diane at the motel. By rote.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

There was something about that scene, especially when I realised that transmission towers behind Cooper resembled the giant and the dwarf from the Owl Cave map.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm Southerland’s statements about Mark’s contributions to the Return, and her seeming to distance him and the books from everything always came off so odd. As an invested fan, that diminished the importance of the books in the grand scheme to me. I know not all agree, but a United front across mediums would have been more exciting.
Hasn’t that always been Lynch’s attitude about tie-in material? He tolerates it but wants his films to stand alone.

Jennifer Lynch once said she thought her dad never read Secret Diary.

If he never even read his own daughters tie-in novel, why would he read Frost’s?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly