Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:04 pm or the network wanted to get rid of them for another reason and used the pandemic as an excuse? Of course, that could be the case here too - maybe Netflix got cold feet about a Lynch show or Lynch got cold feet.
This is pretty much what I'm trying to get at. I don't picture Lynch and crew just sitting on the sidelines forever waiting for the pandemic to be completely 100% over (cause it may never be) but more Netflix/whoever getting impatient waiting for scheduling issues to get resolved (Dern and MacLachlan are awfully booked up) and/or unwilling to increase the budget to Lynch's satisfaction, etc.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Personally, my hunch is a combination of:

1. The Netflix deal was no longer in the project's best interests for Lynch and Co. after the major industry shifts and ViacomCBS pivot towards in-house streaming since 2019. I doubt Netflix would pull the plug for financial reasons as they have more money allocated for commissions than they're able to actually spend given current bottlenecks and the premium on fresh content. Meanwhile, binning the old contract and starting negotiations anew gives Lynch a lot more leverage than he had in 2019. Netflix had a huge discount on their hands given the recent spike in costs for acquiring new content (before considering the prestige aspect for these types of projects where they don't don't expect to turn a profit anyway).

2. Lynch is very particular about cast & crew. Cast & crew need new shoes. They take other jobs and then when one is free, the other is engaged in other projects. Repeat ad infinitum. Without a concrete resumption date, those involved can't really be expected to accommodate a speculative (and thrifty) project at the expense of other (higher profile and better paying) jobs. Especially after a year of inactivity and in the middle of a very favourable labour market for people working in film.

3. Covid-related bureaucracy was a turn-off. I posted about this recently but there's another potential issue: Imagine there's a crucial location/character without which the project cannot go ahead but that location/character falls foul of Netflix/government vaccination rules.

None of this answers whether there's an indefinite delay or a definitive cancellation. Maybe Lynch really is done with film/TV and maybe the Twin Peaks ship really has sailed, as has been suggested in this thread.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:07 pm
mtwentz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:12 pm Well there you go Mr. Lynch. Looks like you're all out of excuses.
I wasn't suggesting he's making "excuses".
I think mtwentz was simply joking, and I have to concur: we want a new David Lynch project, and we want it now! :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Lynch has prob gotten the booster shot. I've gotten it, it's pretty readily available.

I watched one of the Law and Order shows shoot a scene down the block from me other day, a lot of crew wearing masks, actors wore masks before they did the take, put them back on right after. I dunno if there's gonna be an official return-to-february 2020 turn on switch day any time soon, this may be the new normal.

I would say it's quite possible Lynch's heart just isn't in UN/Wisteria. Maybe his enthusiasm for it ran out. He's said in the past, Ronnie Rocket and other projects didn't make it cause he felt something was missing, and if he was really into it, he'd have made it happen.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:12 am
Histeria wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:07 pm
mtwentz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:12 pm Well there you go Mr. Lynch. Looks like you're all out of excuses.
I wasn't suggesting he's making "excuses".
I think mtwentz was simply joking, and I have to concur: we want a new David Lynch project, and we want it now! :)
Yeah it was a joke, stealing a line from Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, 'Luther, I guess you're all out of excuses'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Histeria wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:47 am

2. Lynch is very particular about cast & crew. Cast & crew need new shoes. They take other jobs and then when one is free, the other is engaged in other projects. Repeat ad infinitum. Without a concrete resumption date, those involved can't really be expected to accommodate a speculative (and thrifty) project at the expense of other (higher profile and better paying) jobs. Especially after a year of inactivity and in the middle of a very favourable labour market for people working in film.
necessity is the mother of all invention as DL says, in the past he's forged ahead when people weren't available cast wise. MJA becoming a tree, Robert Forster filling in for Ontkean, Chris Isaak filing in for Kyle when he wouldn't commit to more than 5 days shooting on FWWM, Donna swap w Moira Kelly, Helen Mirren he really wanted and couldn't get on BV, went with Isabella... he was looking around for other Jeffreys on BV when Kyle was being hesitant. hard to 100% get everyone you want.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXUNpIyDPg4 ... _copy_link

Lots to unpack here but looks like Lynch and Hurley are working on something with a seemingly hefty orchestral ensemble. The bundle is titled "FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME MMXXI [2021].

Plus there's a huge HDD for "sound effects" (and both drives seem to have a title/initial with the letter "N" that's just outside of shot (edit: it reads DEAN) on one label and concealed by a bloodied paper towel on the other. There's another view but it's too far for me to make out what's written on the label. Last word begins with T but is covered.

And it appears they've asked Vangelis to do the music for the film's documentary (whatever that means).

Then he scrolls through what appear to be thousands of tracks on a single audio project.

Is that a NIN logo on the notepad?

No idea what the final screen screengrab is from but the caption appears to be one added on mobile SM apps not as a subtitle file.

He says in a reply "I am an audio line cook, taking orders and then serving the internet."

Whatever it is, sounds exciting regardless of whether it ends up relevant to this thread or not.
Last edited by Histeria on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Vangelis is on board? Sounds like someone pulled more than a few strings there!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Pinky wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:12 pm Vangelis is on board? Sounds like someone pulled more than a few strings there!
If I'm reading it correctly Vangelis was asked to work on the documentary for a film and not the film itself.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

From that instagram post I can't really extrapolate whether Lynch is involved in whatever they are doing? Maybe from that drawing? I don't see his name mentioned. Disclaimer: I'm not too familiar with instagram.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Soolsma wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 am From that instagram post I can't really extrapolate whether Lynch is involved in whatever they are doing? Maybe from that drawing? I don't see his name mentioned. Disclaimer: I'm not too familiar with instagram.
There's a pic of them calling from their home studios via zoom.

It may just be a catch-all 2021 post rather than all about one project. In that case the documentary with Vangelis isn't related to the Lynch collaboration via Zoom.

Interestingly, Lynch mentioned recently how he can't afford a sound engineer after Dean moved away and therefore cannot make music at his home studio anymore.

Still, good to know that Vangelis is working with Dean and that him and Lynch have made it work via Zoom.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Soolsma wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 am From that instagram post I can't really extrapolate whether Lynch is involved in whatever they are doing? Maybe from that drawing? I don't see his name mentioned. Disclaimer: I'm not too familiar with instagram.
The only image in the story that draws a direct connection to Lynch is the one that shows a screenshot of a Zoom/video call where the other side (an empty studio on the image) is labeled as "David Lynch". Fatecolossal has a post on Twitter with that screengrab included specifically.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ah. Thanks guys. Did not notice those tiny letters ''David Lynch''

Now this surprises me. Even more interesting. Apparently David Lynch and Vangelis have already collaborated somewhere ~2017
https://open.spotify.com/track/4Yp58myc ... 3b8b6e4e11

Very FWWM mood too.

[edit] WELP! Sorry guys. Wrong David Lynch.
David Lynch, American Saxophonist Born in 1961 in Winnetka, Los Angeles, California, United States, is one of the most respected and accomplished musicians on the contemporary Greek music scene.(hence the connection to Vangelis Katsoulis) Though obviously not of Greek descent, the unique musical language he has developed by submerging his own expressive idiom into that of the Greek musical experience has earned him the reputation as being a musician of extraordinary sensitivity and versatility.
https://www.discogs.com/artist/658532-David-Lynch-3

So... this actually makes me wonder which David Lynch was on the zoom call with Dean Hurley. Enough with the doppelgangers already :lol:
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Soolsma wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:53 pm Ah. Thanks guys. Did not notice those tiny letters ''David Lynch''

Now this surprises me. Even more interesting. Apparently David Lynch and Vangelis have already collaborated somewhere ~2017

Very FWWM mood too.

David Lynch, American Saxophonist Born in 1961 in Winnetka, Los Angeles, California, United States, is one of the most respected and accomplished musicians on the contemporary Greek music scene.(hence the connection to Vangelis Katsoulis) Though obviously not of Greek descent, the unique musical language he has developed by submerging his own expressive idiom into that of the Greek musical experience has earned him the reputation as being a musician of extraordinary sensitivity and versatility.

So... this actually makes me wonder which David Lynch was on the zoom call with Dean Hurley. Enough with the dopplegangers already :lol:
It's definitely David Keith Lynch's music studio in the Zoom call pic. https://youtu.be/dfR_1HiMOY8?t=437

Curious what they were working on. You'd think it's some kind of music for picture unless DL was paying someone to operate the studio gear for him and it was another album project?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Metamorphia wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Soolsma wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:53 pm Ah. Thanks guys. Did not notice those tiny letters ''David Lynch''

Very FWWM mood too.

So... this actually makes me wonder which David Lynch was on the zoom call with Dean Hurley. Enough with the dopplegangers already :lol:
It's definitely David Keith Lynch's music studio in the Zoom call pic. https://youtu.be/dfR_1HiMOY8?t=437

Curious what they were working on. You'd think it's some kind of music for picture unless DL was paying someone to operate the studio gear for him and it was another album project?
Doubt they'd have a 6-piece ensemble for music, something they're usually minimalist on.

Then again, we don't really know if the DKL Zoom call is even the same project as the studio recording with the band (or the documentary Vangelis is scoring for that matter; though I do feel Maestro Vangelis sounds like a DKL term). Could be a random selection of highlights from 2021 as the caption suggests.

Maybe he's doing a Monroe/Kennedys documentary after all. He did comment that with the suggestion he's being told what to post.