Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The puff pieces about the Donovan video I've looked at are not specific about production dates, and looks like they mostly use quotes from Donovan's facebook page to pad out the verbiage.

Indiewire said Netflix declined to comment about Wisteria/Unrecorded Night, so at least it's not a denial, or demanding it be removed and retracted from the article. so that's something at least.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:17 pm The puff pieces about the Donovan video I've looked at are not specific about production dates, and looks like they mostly use quotes from Donovan's facebook page to pad out the verbiage.

Indiewire said Netflix declined to comment about Wisteria/Unrecorded Night, so at least it's not a denial, or demanding it be removed and retracted from the article. so that's something at least.
Nice.

Found the article for anyone who's interested: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/watch ... 234636297/

Relevant bit: "Reports emerged in 2020 that Lynch was working on an episodic project with the working title of “Wisteria” at Netflix. (The streamer declined to comment.) Currently on IMDb, Lynch is listed as the creator of a 13-part series title “Unrecorded Night” now in pre-production."

Grasping at straws here perhaps, but is it possible this is why nothing has been announced yet - they didn't want to make an announcement before this video was released and pull focus from it
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, indiewire covered their bases and put it on Imdb.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:48 pm Would he have directed the video recently or pre-pandemic? If recently, do you think he did it remotely? Is this the sort of thing he'd do mostly by himself or with a team of people? Could that be what the Zoom meeting Sabrina Sutherland posted was about?
Good questions that I'd also like the answers to!

I'm guessing the song itself was recorded pre pandemic given it states it was "recorded in David Lynch's LA studio" and as far as I know Dean Hurley left LA some time in 2020? For a small passion project like this oriented around TM I'd also have guessed the video would've been done around the same time tho, especially as Lynch obviously has some studio/dark space where he can shoot at home (it reminded me of the Came Back Haunted video he produced in 2013 ish) which would make me think the whole thing was done pre pandemic but held off.

Obviously I could be totally off on this and it really was shot recently, either with everyone masked up post vaccines or indeed remotely. Although I do remain ambivalent as to whether Lynch would want to direct remotely - if he'd have the same level of control in terms of being able to focus in on mood if not there in person etc, though I appreciate he seems to have embraced technological changes like this to some extent in recent years (and I guess it's only a music video).

If it was shot more recently then I think there is a serious possibility the production meeting screenshot could have been for it though.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just to be clear — because most sources seem to be getting this wrong — “I Am the Shaman” is NOT a new song. Donovan recorded it in Lynch’s home studio in 2011 with Lynch producing (they also made a B-side, “Gimme Some of That,” and both tracks were released as a single). The only newly recorded thing here is the video footage of Donovan lip syncing, with the added effects. I’m guessing Lynch directed remotely since it’s basically one angle with a few closeups here and there.

Here’s one YouTube video of the song from 2011: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOaMfwrWDY

Journalism is really in a sorry state when reporters can’t even be bothered to do a cursory google. Also goes to show you how unreliable these sources likely are when they spout off about Wisteria/Unrecorded Night.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So if that's all that was shot would it require the Zoom meeting with the people we saw?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:27 pm Just to be clear — because most sources seem to be getting this wrong — “I Am the Shaman” is NOT a new song. Donovan recorded it in Lynch’s home studio in 2011 with Lynch producing (they also made a B-side, “Gimme Some of That,” and both tracks were released as a single). The only newly recorded thing here is the video footage of Donovan lip syncing, with the added effects. I’m guessing Lynch directed remotely since it’s basically one angle with a few closeups here and there.

Here’s one YouTube video of the song from 2011: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOaMfwrWDY

Journalism is really in a sorry state when reporters can’t even be bothered to do a cursory google. Also goes to show you how unreliable these sources likely are when they spout off about Wisteria/Unrecorded Night.
Ah, that certainly changes things! I'd be inclined to agree it was probably a remote job then.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, a lot of these sites are sorta clickbait. I don't subscribe to Rolling Stone, they wanted me to pay to read their write up, I dunno if there's more details to be had in there. a lot of them lift the home studio quote just off of what's on fb, which appears to be describing the song's inception from 2011.

yeah, I would think shot remotely / socially distanced shoot. my guess/ impression is that the video footage was shot recent and they planned to drop on Donovan's birthday. it's well shot and lit, but prob a small crew
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:42 pm yeah, a lot of these sites are sorta clickbait. I don't subscribe to Rolling Stone, they wanted me to pay to read their write up, I dunno if there's more details to be had in there. a lot of them lift the home studio quote just off of what's on fb, which appears to be describing the song's inception from 2011.

yeah, I would think shot remotely / socially distanced shoot. my guess/ impression is that the video footage was shot recent and they planned to drop on Donovan's birthday. it's well shot and lit, but prob a small crew
The Rolling Stone article does correctly note that the track was recorded in 2010 (guess I was off by a year) and was apparently released on his album Ritual Groove (Donovan fan sites list it as a bonus track on that album). Journalistic integrity lives to die another day! The Rolling Stone article doesn’t add any new info though.

EDIT: Credit where it’s due. The IndieWire article also notes that the song was recorded in 2010. And the PitchFork article doesn’t say it’s new...it just doesn’t say anything on the subject. I was mostly going off what was posted on here, so maybe I was a little harsh on the journalists. Mea culpa.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon May 10, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yep, they don't mention Unrecorded Night/Wisteria at all.

So do we think the Zoom meeting was related to this music video or something else?
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:38 pm So if that's all that was shot would it require the Zoom meeting with the people we saw?
If we were to fill in an imaginary skeleton crew for the Donovan video then to be honest that Zoom call would fill in the gaps pretty well. It's mostly people with a history of working with Lynch on Inland Empire and his other small web style projects from the 2010s (Mindy Ramaker and Anna Skarbek don't have any other IMDb credits at all, same with Michael T. Barile although he was also seemingly Lynch's personal assistant on The Return). Not sure about Jason S unless he was available and had a hand in the actual video work?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I concur Metamorphia.

Video production jobs prob hard to come by in pandemic, possible Jason S helped out on the shoot, or shot some BTS for it
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It might also explain why Sabrina Sutherland shared the image online - it wasn't a huge secret like the other project, and she knew there would be articles about it soon anyway.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ramaker and Skarbek have both been part of Lynch’s retained staff for years. Their involvement could mean literally anything or nothing.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon May 10, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Sorry, a Zoom call meeting with nearly 10 people for a Donovan video comprising of basically one or two shots and some stock footage of stars and the ocean?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.