Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by AXX°N N. »

Plus, who knows if this might not fall through? How many Lynch projects have failed to have the stars align? Heck, he walked out of negotiations during S3, and it's almost miraculous it ended up existing. I know he has maybe the highest degree of clout following the critical reception of S3, and the environment for certain projects is totally and specifically different today all things considered, but anything can happen good OR bad even if he wants something to happen.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

dustoff wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 am
Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am
A perfect example. The diversity terror is so dominant now, that even in completely white (historic) societies, progressive filmmakers tend to cast black actors these days. Politics isn't even a side argument, but the main dish in many cases.
Wow. Good thing there were only white people in the 50s, otherwise that would make it very hard for Lynch, wouldn't it.
Not to return this thread to the discussion that has seemingly elapsed since then (which perhaps deserves its own thread elsewhere?) but since I made the initial remark about the 50s that Rhodes then quoted I just want to clarify my own position here -which is that Lynch is clearly deeply entrenched in the experiences and POVs that he grew up with in the midwest and that in turn his films very much reflect white America and a deeper white horror (if you think of that childhood memory he recounts in The Art Life about the nude woman on the sidewalk, just think how much that single experience imprinted almost his entire narrative-artistic perception). If he's making a series/movie set in the 50s I'd expect it to be heavily white in line with the kind of prevailing white culture he grew up in - not that there was no such thing as black experience at the time.

This is why I mentioned the potential issue of the "mandate" (if there is one - I don't really follow Netflix shows or anything so not sure how heavily they enforce ideas about on screen representation) and how it might start to affect narrative ideas Lynch has. Without knowing the ins and outs, I find it somewhat unlikely Netflix would be too hardline on this especially given it may be a period piece and knowing what Lynch's worldview is like?

As I said, best discussed separately perhaps but wanted to just make sure my own position was separated here.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Brad D wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm I know nothing for certain, and I have serious doubts anyone on this board does. My only hard evidence came “before covid”. All the clues don’t really add up to me. Yeah, there are copyrighted scripts, but some of you act like you have read signed contracts between Netflix and Lynch, and it’s about to be surprise dropped tomorrow. As a longtime fan and observer who has heard hundreds of false rumors over the *decades*, my expectations are zero. So then, tomorrow, when FWWM part deux is released, I can do a backflip.

I am not raining on any parade here, just going by what I see and read and hear. (Easter 2015, anyone?) I try not to give you guys any BS I can’t back up. I don’t begrudge anyone running wild with speculation - I and many others did for years, and had lots of fun in the process, leading up to 2014. Have fun with this thread, I’m not sold on anything at the moment. When and if there’s good news, I’ll be celebrating with you guys.
Thanks for the input.

Must say, after the mooted filming date came and went I am becoming more skeptical and definitely open to the idea that it could have fallen through or been sidelined - I'm also with AXX°N N. in that knowing the amount of abandoned Lynch projects over the years (right the way up to The Return, which was touch and go until really late in the game with the public withdrawal of Lynch) that I'm not exactly super confident despite evidence like the script and Balthazar Getty/Dern comments.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't think any of Lynch's previous abandoned projects had copyrighted scripts if that gives anyone any hope.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Is that actually true? There were several leaked scripts for Ronnie Rocket, he even had some of it cast at different points. I think there were actors attached to One Saliva Bubble and that it was heading into production before being yanked. Unfortunately I'm not up to snuff on the details, maybe someone else can input.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Metamorphia wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:46 pm Not to return this thread to the discussion that has seemingly elapsed since then (which perhaps deserves its own thread elsewhere?) but since I made the initial remark about the 50s that Rhodes then quoted I just want to clarify my own position here -which is that Lynch is clearly deeply entrenched in the experiences and POVs that he grew up with in the midwest and that in turn his films very much reflect white America and a deeper white horror (if you think of that childhood memory he recounts in The Art Life about the nude woman on the sidewalk, just think how much that single experience imprinted almost his entire narrative-artistic perception). If he's making a series/movie set in the 50s I'd expect it to be heavily white in line with the kind of prevailing white culture he grew up in - not that there was no such thing as black experience at the time.

This is why I mentioned the potential issue of the "mandate" (if there is one - I don't really follow Netflix shows or anything so not sure how heavily they enforce ideas about on screen representation) and how it might start to affect narrative ideas Lynch has. Without knowing the ins and outs, I find it somewhat unlikely Netflix would be too hardline on this especially given it may be a period piece and knowing what Lynch's worldview is like?

As I said, best discussed separately perhaps but wanted to bjust make sure my own position was separated here.
Good observations about Lynch’s upbringing. I by no means think that Lynch is a racist, except in as much as like all of us he has a certain level of unconscious bias (sorry if the term triggers anyone). With so much of his consciousness shaped by the world of his childhood and the media he consumed during that time, I think it is possible that this might affect who he considers “right for the part”. If his black characters are stereotypical and few and far between, this could be why.

I don’t believe Netflix have any set quotas of the type that have been discussed - just look at The Irishman for evidence. They are famously creator-friendly, with the exception of their willingness to cancel shows before they reach completion. In any case, I wouldn’t see it as a tragedy if Sabrina or a Netflix exec broach the idea of more diverse casting I.e. suggesting a particular actor for an appropriate role. I wouldn’t want Lynch to be forced Into anything creatively, but he does always say “Never accept a bad idea, never turn down a good one” so who knows how receptive he might be?
Last edited by enumbs on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:01 pm Is that actually true? There were several leaked scripts for Ronnie Rocket, he even had some of it cast at different points. I think there were actors attached to One Saliva Bubble and that it was heading into production before being yanked. Unfortunately I'm not up to snuff on the details, maybe someone else can input.
IIRC Ronnie Rocket was copyrighted and One Saliva Bubble was registered with the WGA but not copyrighted. JackWithOneEye looked this up, and I later also saw it when I was nosing around the databases. I think the rest of the unproduced stuff was not.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:58 pm I don't think any of Lynch's previous abandoned projects had copyrighted scripts if that gives anyone any hope.
Devil's advocate: none of his other produced scripts were copyrighted right before a pandemic though. For me the assumption would be that he/they had every intention of making this thing and went through the steps accordingly but the pandemic delay ground things to a halt that is either cost prohibitive/too difficult to pick back up, or there is no longer a mutual interest in starting things back up. Again though, I don't necessarily think that's the case. I think there's a good chance things are finally starting to pick back up but I'm not taking any pre-covid evidence as gospel given how much it impacted the industry.

Glow, for example, the Netflix series about wrestling, was renewed for a 4th season and they even shot the first episode of S4 before it was shut down and cancelled entirely:
.In March 2020, production was shut down on the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which had stopped nearly all TV and film productions in Los Angeles. They had already finished the first episode and were about to start filming the second episode.

On October 5, 2020, creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch revealed in a statement that the fourth season was canceled and would not be completed or aired. It was explained that the show had some of the biggest obstacles to overcome as Netflix was trying to figure out how to get their shows back to work, mostly due to uncertainty about how to prevent an outbreak on set with its wrestling theme and increased COVID-19 related costs added to an already expensive budget.
That's one example. There's another Netflix series called The Society that was green-lit for a second season but it was scrapped entirely in the wake of covid, etc.

Not trying to be a Debbie/Donna Downer here as again I very much am optimistic that something is still happening myself but I think we might be underestimating the toll of the pandemic on the timeline of this thing.

There's also On Becoming a God in Central Florida:
Season 2 production halted in March 2020, series cancelled by Showtime in October 2020 citing scheduling conflicts with its cast brought upon by the pandemic.
Last edited by Ickles on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm Netflix didn't cancel Manhunter and Glow this late because of the pandemic. Brie Larson wasn't told to not report to work while working out at the gym. They were cancelled before pre-production.
Like I quoted above Glow actually shot their entire premiere episode for S4 before it was scrapped, about 3 weeks into filming.

Edit: not that I disagree with you entirely. I do think something is afoot. I was just calling out some high profile examples of other projects that were scrapped due to the pandemic but you're right that a lot of the circumstantial evidence and buzz seems to indicate things are still humming along.
Last edited by Ickles on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm
Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm Netflix didn't cancel Manhunter and Glow this late because of the pandemic. Brie Larson wasn't told to not report to work while working out at the gym. They were cancelled before pre-production.
Like I quoted above Glow actually shot their entire premiere episode for S4 before it was scrapped, about 3 weeks into filming.
Yes but that was due to the pandemic actually stopping the shoot for so long. It wasn't mid shoot.

Still, I should have qualified that. Glow was cancelled because production halted and they decided not to restart it as it was no longer financially viable. That's a show already on shakey ground pre-pandemic, was very expensive, and was a toss-up for renewal. It had a huge ensemble cast that proved very hard to manage from a human resources perspective due to each having multiple projects in the pipeline.

Lynch, in contrast, presides over cowboy productions that YOLO the casting process on a day-to-day basis. And the question wasn't "it was cancelled in the pandemic" because they've all discussed waiting for the pandemic to end before even starting it. Glow's production had already exposed itself to much of its budgetary liability just by starting principle photography.

Thanks for pointing it out!
branvol

Post by branvol »

Brad D wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm I know nothing for certain, and I have serious doubts anyone on this board does. My only hard evidence came “before covid”. All the clues don’t really add up to me. Yeah, there are copyrighted scripts, but some of you act like you have read signed contracts between Netflix and Lynch, and it’s about to be surprise dropped tomorrow. As a longtime fan and observer who has heard hundreds of false rumors over the *decades*, my expectations are zero. So then, tomorrow, when FWWM part deux is released, I can do a backflip.

I am not raining on any parade here, just going by what I see and read and hear. (Easter 2015, anyone?) I try not to give you guys any BS I can’t back up. I don’t begrudge anyone running wild with speculation - I and many others did for years, and had lots of fun in the process, leading up to 2014. Have fun with this thread, I’m not sold on anything at the moment. When and if there’s good news, I’ll be celebrating with you guys.
Did Kyle mention anything about those copyrighted scripts during your chat with him in January...?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I'm with Brad. There is definitely room for skepticism here. Even though I'm really hoping something is happening, there's no hard evidence to prove it and I have to say I see a lot of conjecture, wishful thinking and bias confirmation online. All the wisteria posts and so-called hints are not evidence but a bit of fun, curiousity or angling for a job on the part of posters (or even complete coincidences).

The only solid piece of evidence are the copyrighted scripts but plenty of scripts get copyrighted without getting made (including RR). My only other evidence is my source who told me about the Netflix deal but that was more than a year ago and I haven't heard a peep since. It's very possible that the pandemic messed up the original plans and now the production has become unfeasible for whatever reason.

That being said, I still very much hope for a new Lynch project but like I said there is room for skepticism.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"It isn't happening" is more that just scepticism, imo. It's a statement of fact.

--

Plus, I don't know which other productions have their producers stalk fan communities like obsessive exes to re-tweet/re-share speculation they themselves are fueling "for fun."

What's the Lyncian translation for "gaslighting."

Also, I like your profile pic, underthefan. Never stopped to look at it before I think.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Thanks, Histeria! I thought it went well with my user name. I've always used that name online because it's a kind of thing only TP fans would get and no one else. One time I had someone who was confounded by my name ask me "are you hot?" :lol: