Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

No location scouting. Also the Purple Heart emoji.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

he also wearing that pink wrist band in the stables pic. I dont think he's worn that in awhile, I dont see it in the recent lottery number videos where you see his wrists. I have seen him wear a wrist watch though in the past year that has a more scarlet red band.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Lynch was at AFI 's Greystone Mansion in 2019 for some 50th anniversary celebration. I think that's where the pic is from.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifes ... y-1241595/
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CQM5p8XlXD8 ... =copy_link

&
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQM_Y1Oln6t ... =copy_link

Wisteria is an Eraserhead sequel, confirmed. :wink:
Nice caption on that first one
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm No location scouting. Also the Purple Heart emoji.
It may already have been scouted.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 pm
krishnanspace wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm No location scouting. Also the Purple Heart emoji.
It may already have been scouted.
Ever the optimist. :)
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Definitely have already done location scouting. And the question was in reference to the posted image, anyway.

The fact all direct questions are ignored apart from one where they're being asked if they're doing something that would have been done ages ago points to something.

As does the "trying for a theme" line.

Can't quite place my finger on what. But something.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:58 pm
Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 pm It may already have been scouted.
Ever the optimist. :)
Lol yeah, I've spent close to a decade trying to get one particular project off the ground when I sometimes think I should have given up after a year, two or three tops, so I know about loooooooooong waiting games (long stretches of despair and despondency, punctuated by optimism to keep you going)!

But it did occur to me she could be answering literally. If locations have already been scouted or decided upon, they're not scouting now. It does look like an unusual place, of course it could be just somewhere they go to chill/explore, nothing to do with filming, but those doors and buildings do look unusual enough to feature in some footage.

As I said a few pages back now, I don't care if I'm wrong - I'm going to stick with the "something is happening" stance, for awhile anyway (with full permission to change my mind later lol, like if we go another 400 pages without news or something, but let's all hope that doesn't happen!).

Speaking of which, I asked a question on page 400 that might have gotten lost in the shuffle as we were discussing the board's policies. Is this now the longest thread on the forum? (Does anyone know how to search for long threads? I know the Profoundly Disappointed Support Group is rather long too, but that topped out at 375 pages when it went dormant in 2018 - and we've already gone quite a bit beyond that on this one.)

Edit - Nope, NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread is 568 pages! It went dormant in 2017. Is THAT the longest one then? (The deleted spoiler thread may also have been very long too.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 am It does look like an unusual place, of course it could be just somewhere they go to chill/explore, nothing to do with filming, but those doors and buildings do look unusual enough to feature in some footage.

As others have already noted, those are the stables at AFI where he shot Eraserhead in the 1970s. JackWithOneEye identified the photo as probably being from 2019. They’re just reminiscing about Eraserhead in these posts. We would
all do well to remember the aphorism Sigmund Freud never actually said: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"I was going for a theme. Don't know if it's working," to mark the pivot from #twinpeaks to #eraserhead

That's the cigar. That and answering an insta question so banal that the act of answering it is itself a tautology :lol: of all the ones to pick in wanting to "respond" to baseless rumours unfairly picking at her "personal photoblog". It's that one.

Almost all of these pics have been archival ones and so are the ones at the stable.

I do hope they get to Mulholland Drive soon. I bet the other Lynch films won't get anywhere near the number of pics and stories The Return got.

@underthefan, do you know if Netflix ever commission non-union productions? Or would their three-year SAG AFTRA deal prevent that?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:18 am
Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 am It does look like an unusual place, of course it could be just somewhere they go to chill/explore, nothing to do with filming, but those doors and buildings do look unusual enough to feature in some footage.

As others have already noted, those are the stables at AFI where he shot Eraserhead in the 1970s. JackWithOneEye identified the photo as probably being from 2019. They’re just reminiscing about Eraserhead in these posts. We would
all do well to remember the aphorism Sigmund Freud never actually said: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I must have missed those posts and didn't make the other connection. I was posting at like 7 am with or before my first cup of coffee, after all (which is decaf anyway). :lol:
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:24 am
@underthefan, do you know if Netflix ever commission non-union productions? Or would their three-year SAG AFTRA deal prevent that?
fascinating question here ^ underthefan may understand it more than me. but I would think anything Netflix produces, would have to be a union shoot. particularly in Los Angeles county.

they could get around it by licensing a non union production maybe, that was financed by someone else. I dunno how DL worked this angle on Inland Empire. Anything he initially shot for his pay site was prob non union.

As Pinky pointed out, I think the notion of DL shooting stuff gonzo on the quiet in his house, What Did Jack Do/I Rabbits style is a possibility.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:22 pm
Pinky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm Lynch going more gonzo with a much smaller cast, budget and audience always felt like the natural progression to me. Filmed sporadically with anything that would have required a studio done at his own speed on his own property.
I agree.
This is just going against logic, to me, with respect. :o

Why would Lynch go to Netflix if he was aiming for a smaller audience? If you can get a big audience anywhere it must be there.

For me at least, The Return was Lynch - FULL HEROIN LYNCH as David Nevins said. I don't know what form of Lynch would be stronger than that.

Overall, I would say The Return was as alienating and abstract as INLAND EMPIRE for instance.

So where is he going to go next? Film 8 hours of Sheryl Lee walking through his hallway out of focus with intermittent shots of lightbulbs?

I wasn't basing anything on the Netflix rumours. All I meant was if he was up for continuing the story himself, then he'd probably not be expecting to get a similar sized deal to The Return, given that a new season wouldn't have quite so much hype around it etc. If Netflix could offer him something worthwhile then of course he should run with it, definitely (and he'd do just as good a job of getting as much of the money up on the screen as he did with s3). I just never expected the lack of such an offer as being likely to stop him, were he fired up for a s4 in the first place. I'm surprised s3 wasn't some form of webisode series back in the mid late 2000s, if Peaks hadn't been firmly in its 'dead as a doornail' phase
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The actual show would almost certainly be union. Even The Return was.

Another suplementary question (I swear this is all going somewhere but requires due diligence): Does Netflix have any in-house reality shows. I know they commission many non-scripted series. But do they do any non-scripted documentary projects in-house?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I would assume that anything shot with the 4 million Studio Canal put up for Inland Empire,
after he decided to abandon Axxon N, probably was union also.

In any case, I can see him doing a down and dirty indie, and then licensing it to a streaming service.

Netflix has funded documentaries. Seaspiracy and so sorth. But at the same time, I don't know if all their docus are Netflix funded start to finish. sometimes they just license and acquire material, and act like it's a Netflix original in the promotional campaigns.