Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by enumbs »

Thanks Norm and LateReg, great to hear your thoughts.

Just to clarify Norm, season 3 is my favourite instalment of Twin Peaks, so my desire for a different flavour isn’t to do with quality so much as an interest in seeing Lynch go to new places. I think it is true that a lot of his creativity is born out of constraints, but I think that element was also at play in season 3; most notably in the Audrey story but also in aspects such as Philip Jeffries or the evolution of the arm. I’m sure there will plenty of hiccups in this new series that inspire similarly inventive solutions, but I do hope he has a budget which allows him to go as dreamy as possible.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jackwithoneye - whilst I can see your point, I think that's going way too far back to apply how Mulholland Dr was as a film to what Lynch is doing more than 20 years later. I would argue that INLAND EMPIRE is far closer to being a single-person perspective and The Return definitely focused in on Cooper's fragmented psyche more than anyone else. You could easily see many of the other characters as just parts of his dream. One great thing with Lynch is he is able to produce different types of work of equally high quality. For instance, FWWM was very different to the series but was just as good.

So yes I do think anything is possible in a transition from The Return. I think 'season 3' was so fragmented and had so many brief stories that just led to dead ends, its rather difficult to imagine that whole approach being repeated ad nauseum in a further continuing story. Lynch definitely knows how to shift styles and stories. Frankly, I find it absolutely impossible that anything comparable to The Return will be appearing before us. Effectively, The Return is dead. Some fans claimed Twin Peaks was dead at the end of season 3 even!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

mtwentz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 pm
NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry, I missed your response. I think freedom is good yes, but I mean limitations in terms of the overall format of the show and story. As in, stories are played out over all the episodes and some reach a decent conclusion for all characters, including the lesser ones.

What do you mean by foreseeing a season 4 being being more visceral?
Lynch will have complete artistic freedom. I can’t imagine him agreeing to watering down his vision to make it more ‘mainstream’. That being said, he might be in the mood for more conventional storylines this time. You just never know with him.
yeah, I think DL is too up there in years and too legendary at this point to cave on artistic freedom to look for more mainstream audience. I think he would rather just do paintings if his only directing options were things that he had to compromise on.

In that catching the big fish book, he repeated that dogma in multiple chapters.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Today's song was I think the 7th 1956 live-recorded cover of a song.

Same year as the "unrecorded" night in Twin Peaks that the woodsman spoke into the radio in lieu of music

What's our burden of evidence for song year coincidences again?
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 pm I would think if it's 13 episodes, probably fragmented narrative with cross cutting, Mulholland, Inland, The Return being his most recent major works are all mosaics. That seems to be where his heart is at. The Straight Story I don't think there was much outside of the Alvin Straight point of view, except maybe the Sissy Spaceck scene at the supermarket was a cutaway.

I think in general he's moved away from having narratives like BV and Eraserhead where the focal point is only Jeffrey or Henry and stuff out of their sphere that they don't see or not involved in, just isn't shown.

He did get 45 minutes or so out of Crispin Glover and Alicia Witt doing a two-hander in one room in Hotel Room: Blackout though which he approached more like a stage play, so anything's possible.
It’s interesting how a lot of his work now is sprawling while also feeling a though it could be the product of a single character’s consciousness. I wouldn’t go that far with The Return, despite some compelling interpretations, but I can envision a season 4 which interweaves between the psyches of Cooper, Laura and Diane somehow, with the dimension seen in Part 18 acting as a collective dream space.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, It would be interesting how he would approach Blue Velvet nowaday. There might be a lot of sprawling story threads, and people arguing it's Jeffrey's or Dorothy's imagination or dreams.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm
So yes I do think anything is possible in a transition from The Return. I think 'season 3' was so fragmented and had so many brief stories that just led to dead ends, its rather difficult to imagine that whole approach being repeated ad nauseum in a further continuing story.
I think whatever Lynch does next -yes - it will be this exactly. I would expect storylines with dead ends, and more experimental , ambiguous, avant garde, and dreamy than ever.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Lynch going more gonzo with a much smaller cast, budget and audience always felt like the natural progression to me. Filmed sporadically with anything that would have required a studio done at his own speed on his own property.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Pinky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm Lynch going more gonzo with a much smaller cast, budget and audience always felt like the natural progression to me. Filmed sporadically with anything that would have required a studio done at his own speed on his own property.
I agree.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:22 pm
Pinky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm Lynch going more gonzo with a much smaller cast, budget and audience always felt like the natural progression to me. Filmed sporadically with anything that would have required a studio done at his own speed on his own property.
I agree.
This is just going against logic, to me, with respect. :o

Why would Lynch go to Netflix if he was aiming for a smaller audience? If you can get a big audience anywhere it must be there.

For me at least, The Return was Lynch - FULL HEROIN LYNCH as David Nevins said. I don't know what form of Lynch would be stronger than that.

Overall, I would say The Return was as alienating and abstract as INLAND EMPIRE for instance.

So where is he going to go next? Film 8 hours of Sheryl Lee walking through his hallway out of focus with intermittent shots of lightbulbs?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CQM5p8XlXD8 ... =copy_link

&
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQM_Y1Oln6t ... =copy_link

Wisteria is an Eraserhead sequel, confirmed. :wink:
Quoting this over to the new page just in case it got buried at the end of the last one. Not that I think it's all that meaningful for UN/W or anything but it's cool seeing Lynch and co. revisiting the Eraserhead stables. Pics look pretty recent too so seems like it's actually happening today, not something from a photo roll. Maybe part of a BTS doc or something? I would say maybe for a DVD release or something but the Criterion edition of Eraserhead came out not all that long ago and it's pretty well stocked with extras. Maybe somehow an IE extra for the long rumored Criterion version of that? Not sure what the connection would be but this is the kind of social media shit that actually gets me pumped. You can tell I'm clearly more of a Lynch fan than a TP fan. :lol:
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

re - the stables pic. I usually go by Lynch's weight to try and figure out if recent or not, but since just back of his head, hard to tell. He did some public speaking stuff at AFI in 2018, if I were to guess, I'd say that's when the pic is from. I don't know LA's policy on face masks right now, but It looks like he's not wearing any face mask, and he's kindof close to the person in front of him, so feels like pre pandemic to me.

The post itself seems to be in reply to someone called @ love_crime, who asked Sabrina when there would be another 'Do you have a question for David' video on you tube - on their instagram by way of tagging Sabrina, and her reply is the stable. My interpretation would be he plans to do a Q & A at AFI or do a you tube thing from the stable, I dunno.

Unless I'm missing something, Love_crime wasn't asking about Unrecorded Wisteria or TP s4 initially, seems to be just inquiring he's doing another video taking questions.

link here -

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQEOTikjKcj/
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I was confused about the love_crime call out too but it's actually a reference to the first stables post. There's 2 different IG posts, one is a set of 3 pictures captioned "I was going for a theme…but I don’t know if it’s working #davidlynch #eraserhead" and on that post the user love_crime commented "How amazing it would be to do a photo shoot a David Lynch in front of those doors and archways!" which prompted the second pic of Lynch actually in front of the doors at the stables in a follow-up post captioned "This is the best I can do right now @_love_crime_ "

The second one with Lynch in it seemed more recent to me because he seems noticeably thinner and the "right now" at the end of Sabrina's caption (as if she just took it) but it definitely could be older and another stroll down memory lane.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

ah i see it now, there's the overhead schematic and the photo of the archways, and love_crimes is asking about a photo shoot near the archways, and her reply is, here is a photo I found of him at the door with the archway. I think it's an old pic.