Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I remember ppl on the ground saying it was Mary Reber/ real owner of the house in the spoiler thread on dugpa, when it was shot in 2015, and I thought, oh that's weird, maybe a mistake/typo, but then again Lynch is not Ron Howard or someone traditional, grabs people like Frank Silva off the set to do a shot, so I guess it's possible. and so it was..
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Are we still sure it is with Netflix? Weren't they left off one (or more) of the PW listings? I seem to recall they were back on the next one or something, but just wondering how sure we are that it is with them.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm Are we still sure it is with Netflix? Weren't they left off one (or more) of the PW listings? I seem to recall they were back on the next one or something, but just wondering how sure we are that it is with them.
Yeah I saw that too. That’s why I brought up earlier that it could end up being a joint venture from CBS/Showtime and Netflix. On the Calvert Studios website Netflix is nowhere to be seen even though Hulu and a bunch of other companies are on there.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm I remember ppl on the ground saying it was Mary Reber/ real owner of the house in the spoiler thread on dugpa, when it was shot in 2015, and I thought, oh that's weird, maybe a mistake/typo, but then again Lynch is not Ron Howard or someone traditional, grabs people like Frank Silva off the set to do a shot, so I guess it's possible. and so it was..
That's right. I think some people assumed he just used whoever was there and might cut in other footage - of Grace Zabriskie or someone - another time. There was a lot of speculation (some of it from me!) that Laura was alive again and Cooper was bringing her home to Sarah. We didn't have a lot of context for the scene and a lot of it assumed it would be the opening scene or an early scene (as it was also shot relatively early, I think).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I do recall people talking about Kyle “karate-chopping” someone, which I imagine was just Kyle goofing around between takes (as he is prone to do).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Nope. We can't really know but I doubt Showtime would match Netflix's offer so that leaves HBO, Starz, Paramount and Amazon Prime, I guess? The network channels can be discounted out of hand.

They stopped updating their Twin Peaks twitter account months ago and I think had to be prodded to plug the Vannen watches because it took them a month before they tweeted them (in contrast to the licenced biking attire which got timely tweets from Showtime's TP account.

I don't see why Lynch and other studios would find a co-production with CBS desirable unless CBS decided to play hardball on archive footage rights. And I sincerely doubt they'd try to hustle Lynch for that because it isn't in their interests to piss him off. They're still doing the conventions with him, after all. And they still own merchandising rights.
Last edited by Histeria on Thu May 06, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Netlfix is what canthaveit/reddit guy said initially in Feb 2020, and then the first PWeekly listing said Netflix, and then it was taken out in subsequent ones.

There is a photo of DL at neflix, but I think that might be something to do with The Happy Worker, which Duwayne Dunham
is directing, and Lynch was helping him with EP'ing maybe.

he did get What Did Jack Do onto netflix.

There's also some quotes out there from years and years ago from a Netflix exec saying they'd love to have Lynch do a show or more TP or something.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I do recall people talking about Kyle “karate-chopping” someone, which I imagine was just Kyle goofing around between takes (as he is prone to do).
Yes! And a small person he was looking at? Did he karate chop the small person? I can't recall.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

For me it's not so much that the Unwrapped guys are just making something up or speculating out of thin air but it's possible that even their sources/the cast members aren't entirely sure what's going on. They could hear from a cast member they interview, off the record, "we're definitely doing more" and assuming it's TP S4 but it could very well be part of a larger project like an Antelope Don't Run No More type thing with elements of TP woven in along with IE and MD. Or an anthology thing with one standalone TP related work, etc. Maybe it is as black and white as a large number of cast members point blank saying it's 100% season 4 but knowing how secretive Lynch can be with even the people working with him it's possible all they know is they will be working together on something soon again and inferring it's a full TP season, without seeing a full script, etc.
Last edited by Ickles on Thu May 06, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:48 pm Netlfix is what canthaveit/reddit guy said initially in Feb 2020, and then the first PWeekly listing said Netflix, and then it was taken out in subsequent ones.
Has it stayed out ever since or was it put back at any stage?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

thedougpa wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 pm
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I do recall people talking about Kyle “karate-chopping” someone, which I imagine was just Kyle goofing around between takes (as he is prone to do).
Yes! And a small person he was looking at? Did he karate chop the small person? I can't recall.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Seems like that would make more sense for the scene with the hitman and where the little man was supposed to come through the ground? Maybe that was supposed to happen in the final scene too once Richard/Coop figured out he wasn't where he wanted to be.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:31 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm
waste is a thing with performance and art. most every movie or TV show has some scenes that don't work out.

Blue Velvet had tons of stuff, Jeffrey being notified about his father, while away at college, etc that didn't fit in the end.
Interesting you brought that up in relation to The Return. Lynch has stated that almost everything he shot made it into The Return, that "it just worked out" or something to that effect. He could have trimmed it down to 14 episodes if he wanted, but it wasn't in his plan. The difference with Blue Velvet, is that I believe it was stipulated that the film had to run only 2 hours, so Lynch was forced to make those kinds of decisions to fit a runtime. I think he totally wanted to avoid that with The Return, but then used almost all the footage anyway.

The only thing that looks like it got left out is this shot of the giant in the red room... I dunno, I don't think it's a big deal. maybe it's the giant saying the same stuff he said to Cooper about Richard and Linda, and DL wanted coverage and decide in editing where to use it.

He may also have decided the Fireman/Giant should only appear in black and white footage, and looked sloppy having him in red room too, especially with the metaphor the Giant lives in this other layer of the unconcious separate from the lodge as we know it.

Not like they brought in Jack Nicholson and paid him 10 mill , then cut him out , and stuck CBS with the bill.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Thu May 06, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

So many people online and so many people posting at the moment (which is great)!! It almost feels like an announcement has been made.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t remember the little person on that night (which isn’t to say it wasn’t reported, I was trying to tune that stuff out while simultaneously being unable to resist reading). But I do recall when the “squeeze his hand off” scene was filmed, Arbo said (correctly!) that MfAP was supposed to be on set, and when people spotted Ike, they immediately assumed a recast. I think by that point all the actors were wearing cloaks everywhere to avoid being seen, so it must have looked like a bunch of Sith lords (including one very short one) wandering around Glendale
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:59 pm So many people online and so many people posting at the moment (which is great)!! It almost feels like an announcement has been made.
I’m glad I decided to make an account today! You guys are a great group to talk with
"Jade give two rides."