Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

I knew I could get someone to talk just by posting a picture of a city sign.

;)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DougieJones wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm The person deleted their account for some reason and deleted their replies on the post
I guess that lends credence to the fact that it was legit and they’re worried about job security. Someone just trying to get hype/clicks wouldn’t delete everything a few minutes later.

Unless it’s someone who just likes trolling.

And heh, well played, Jerry!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Hopefully this person is legit and continues posting.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Kinda wondering if it's the same person who posted then deleted that supposed leak about building a 50s set for it a while back. I believe it was also in the same /twinpeaks subreddit and set construction/design would be considered pre-production.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'm probably way late on the draw here but I just realized May 21st is the 4 year anniversary of S3 first airing on Showtime. I feel like if whatever UN is is TP related that day would be as good as any to make some sort of announcement.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You know, I’ve always thought the date of the joint Lynch/Frost tweets announcing TR was random. I can’t believe I never put this together given all the time I spent on my damn timeline. Per the dates on the scroll that Garland left in the tube for Bobby, Coop going through the door in the Great Northern in Part 17 (i.e., the moment when reality as we know it arguably ends) takes place on October 2, 2014. The L/F Twin Tweets came out the day following that, October 3, 2014.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Mr. Reindeer is a born detective.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jerry Horne wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:51 pm I knew I could get someone to talk just by posting a picture of a city sign.

;)
You crafty devil. :D
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

If it weren't made for a special occasion - the first anniversary of his weather report routine - I would have considered the fact that the yesterday's entry was the first one without a video a major clue that something is afoot. However, since it was a special occasion, we must wait for the new one, and I'm guessing it will be back to usual.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

If it was just a lack of video I wouldn't think anything of it, either.

But the fact he was doing it through an inferior mic held a lot closer to his face and at a much faster pace is what's suspicious.

Then add the lack of video, and then the lack of weather report tweet for the first time I could see (haven't checked all the way to the start but I've been following them for months and this was the first miss I've seen).

It's not like we can really glean anything from it even if we know he wasn't at home. Just interesting how every single slight alteration to the normal routine or ambiguous phrase has just enough plausible deniability to dismiss them as coincidence or insignificant.

Well, it's more than interesting. I've started to find it really funny once I stopped getting mildly frustrated. Now I actually appreciate how committed they are to this. It's very endearing.

I think it's hilarious that we can all credibly dismiss every single tidbit we have if viewing them without the context of all the others. And tbh if looking at each one in isolation they don't really inspire confidence, do they?

When people started speculating all those months ago, the 'clues' were so abstract and ambiguous that those of us entertaining them were (perhaps rightly) ridiculed. And it's been ramping up so methodologically and incrementally since then. After all, it's still reasonably likely these alleged teases actually are all coincidences :D
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Ah well, David is back on video doing his weather report in his usual spot.

Season 4 cancelled.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

No surprise there. I would have been shocked if it was two deviations from routine in a row.

Meanwhile, lyrics for La Grange:

Rumour spreadin' 'round
In that Texas town
About that shack outside La Grange
And you know what I'm talkin' about
Just let me know if you wanna go
To that home out on the range
They got a lot of nice girls

Have mercy
A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw
A haw, haw, haw

Well, I hear it's fine
If you got the time
And the ten to get yourself in
A hmm, hmm
And I hear it's tight
Most ev'ry night
But now I might be mistaken
Hmm, hmm, hmm

Have mercy
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I thought this reddit comment from Drooch was cool:

"Mulholland (Drive) was originally going to be about Audrey trying to make it in Hollywood, so it’s conceivable that Unrecorded Night is yet another spinoff."

I'm taking a bit of a back seat to the speculation for awhile now though, still reading through the thread and will be replying here and there but won't be posting on it as much re speculation until we get more concrete - or at least much more juicy - stuff to speculate on. It's been fun (and a little infuriating), but I think until major news breaks - or even if several cast members start up again with a lot of major hints - it's a bit like treading water. I believe things are probably, as the reddit post said, in some stage of pre-production, so I'll let Lynch take his time with this one.
Last edited by Jonah on Fri May 14, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 pm
johndaker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 pm
LateReg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am All I can say about that is that is that subs are sometimes an obviously artistic choice on Lynch's part - especially in Inland Empire for the Polish parts (which are necessary) and the street scene near the end (a purely artistic choice).
Re: the home media subtitle situation, Lynch's reluctance to include subs on DVDs and Blu-rays is part and parcel of his "room to dream" aesthetic. I believe he strives to give the viewer just enough to understand, and no more. Sometimes the possibility of alternative hearings or seeings is vital. Subtitles nail something down. And, incidentally, subtitles in films in general and especially in Lynch's films are often wrong, which is probably another reason why he just says no to them when possible: as when FWWM's SDH track identifies the Monkey's voice as Jeffries's voice, or my favorite example (to quote from my own writing, an endnote in an article I published in the journal Discourse): The Region 1 DVD [of INLAND EMPIRE]’s optional French subtitles translate this line [from the psychoanalyst scene] incorrectly as “Bien sûr, je vais en ville,” an excellent example of the effectiveness of Lynch’s strategies of obscuring. The French translator apparently mistook the muffled Polish words “Czerwony, tak” for the English phrase “Sure, going to town.”
Sorry to bring this back up in lieu of actual news, but I just wanted to say that while I feel your pain and completely understand your position, Histeria, I have to say that what johndaker said is exactly what I was thinking and believe, right down to examples he cites. While it may be "wrong" to the degrees that you discuss, I think Lynch might treat subtitles the same way he treats chapter stops or commentaries - as merely additional. I'm not here to argue or promote a position, just to say that I believe that may be Lynch's purist position. I also believe that he would cave if he actually thought about the practical reasons for including subtitles, just as he's softened on chapter stops and watching on smaller screens.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

LateReg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 am
Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 pm
johndaker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 pm
Re: the home media subtitle situation, Lynch's reluctance to include subs on DVDs and Blu-rays is part and parcel of his "room to dream" aesthetic. I believe he strives to give the viewer just enough to understand, and no more. Sometimes the possibility of alternative hearings or seeings is vital. Subtitles nail something down. And, incidentally, subtitles in films in general and especially in Lynch's films are often wrong, which is probably another reason why he just says no to them when possible: as when FWWM's SDH track identifies the Monkey's voice as Jeffries's voice, or my favorite example (to quote from my own writing, an endnote in an article I published in the journal Discourse): The Region 1 DVD [of INLAND EMPIRE]’s optional French subtitles translate this line [from the psychoanalyst scene] incorrectly as “Bien sûr, je vais en ville,” an excellent example of the effectiveness of Lynch’s strategies of obscuring. The French translator apparently mistook the muffled Polish words “Czerwony, tak” for the English phrase “Sure, going to town.”
Sorry to bring this back up in lieu of actual news, but I just wanted to say that while I feel your pain and completely understand your position, Histeria, I have to say that what johndaker said is exactly what I was thinking and believe, right down to examples he cites. While it may be "wrong" to the degrees that you discuss, I think Lynch might treat subtitles the same way he treats chapter stops or commentaries - as merely additional. I'm not here to argue or promote a position, just to say that I believe that may be Lynch's purist position. I also believe that he would cave if he actually thought about the practical reasons for including subtitles, just as he's softened on chapter stops and watching on smaller screens.
I regret if it sounded like I was arguing against johndaker. I really wasn't.

I was criticising what we both assumed was Lynch's position. I agreed with the diagnosis.