Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:05 pm I agree with that but it just shouldn't surprise them if these things attract controversy online, especially in the current era. (Then again, no one's saying they're surprised but me, but you know what I mean - Sabrina going on reddit to clarify and defend it, etc.)
I don’t think she/they were surprised that it would draw some attention. Again, I think the footage has always spoken for itself without any clarification. It is what it is. He’s being a bit of a dick in that moment, but if you know how Hollywood productions work, you get where everyone is coming from. But she clearly likes and feels protective of Lynch, and maybe felt annoyed that some people online were blowing it out of proportion.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:05 pm I agree with that but it just shouldn't surprise them if these things attract controversy online, especially in the current era. (Then again, no one's saying they're surprised but me, but you know what I mean - Sabrina going on reddit to clarify and defend it, etc.)
I think she probably felt compelled to speak up since that clip, despite its age, is becoming somewhat "viral" at the moment, even getting picked up by media outlets: https://nerdist.com/article/david-lynch ... -too-long/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ickles wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:07 pm Also, the fact that they are willing to release stuff like that kind of demonstrates that they don't really view it as that big of a big deal. It's like being in front of a couple that bickers in public, maybe it's a bit uncomfortable but it's probably the really sensitive stuff they reserve to argue about behind closed doors. I would be more concerned if they tried to button down anything painting David in a somewhat harsh light because it would seem like there's more to it than just garden variety grumbling that they are overcompensating for. Everybody has moments of losing their patience and being frustrated. Hell, I've directed my own short films and various projects and I've lost my temper (usually due to the circumstances more than the human being delivering the message), apologized and moved on. No harm in showing how the sausages are made.
Yeah, I really appreciate that he’s abandoned the “Jimmy Stewart from Mars” public shtick to an extent and is willing to acknowledge that TM hasn’t cured all his anger. It makes him a much more interesting and honest human figure. We’re all works in progress.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wonder why it's only going viral now? I remember some stuff about it online when the set was released, but it seems weird it's going viral now.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Jonah wrote:I wonder why it's only going viral now? I remember some stuff about it online when the set was released, but it seems weird it's going viral now.
It's just cause it was a popular Reddit post. Blog sites that aren't far away from AI created content churn out articles on it and amplify the echo, then Google puts it into your news feed cause it knows you go to Twin Peaks fansites. There, it's "viral"

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That video of him talking about watching a movie on your “FUCKING PHONE” also blew up years after it was released, I think. I don’t get how this stuff works.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I've said this all before, but I'll frame it in light of today's conversation. Whether or not Lynch had his hands-off budget approved, it's still possible that he compromised to get that approved. While we all (mostly) agree that the more frustrated BTS clips are just human moments that are bound to happen under the pressures of working on such a large-scale project, I'd further absolve Lynch of being hypocritical, since it's obvious to me in those moments that he must have had to compromise in order to get that vision, as complete as possible, to the screen. And that's got to be frustrating whether you mostly got your way or not, to run into stumbling blocks that could have been avoided...in a non-existent perfect world of art production that Lynch would rather reside in, and often does! I've never been under the impression that he actually got everything he wanted, by the way. On such a huge art project, there's no way that he could have and I understand the frustration, regardless of what he had negotiated. In those moments, he probably felt like he needed more. And in that "who gives a shit how long a scene lasts" clip, as Sabrina pointed out, it was the result of repetitive questioning, which to me was always evident in that clip.

Also, Jonah, that particular clip is 40 seconds in 14 hours of BTS footage. So while I agree that it was bound to be scrutinized in this social media era, it really is just a small piece of a larger whole, which is probably part of the reason they decided to include it.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:51 am
Histeria wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 am I biggest problem I had with these BHS flare-ups is that Lynch is the one hiring these people to ensure his production actually gets completed.

So his complaints over not having enough time to "go dreamy" or enough money to "shoot sequentially" should be aimed at himself for negotiating the budget, writing the script, and directing the film to be so long in the first place.

He's their employer and he acts like they're the corporate overlords encroaching into his creative utopian dominion.
I disagree with this, insofar as the same people (Cori, Scott, Sabrina) keep working with Lynch for the past thirty years. Clearly, one moment of anger here and there doesn’t deter them and they clearly like him and find the experience rewarding. Arguments are a part of life and relationships and work and artistic collaboration. It happens. Not to absolve him completely, but I don’t see it as that terrible (Scott in particular seems to be almost amused by Lynch’s grouchiness at points in the BTS footage).

What I will agree with is that Lynch chose his budget for TR. After walking away from the production, he gave Nevins an ultimatum: this is my budget, no compromise or negotiation. It’s this or I walk. This is from Lynch’s own mouth. So for him to bitch about it later is a tad hypocritical. But it’s also possible that he low-balled himself, coming up with the lowest number he felt was realistic?
Sorry I meant these things are inevitable, too. I didn't say they act of snapping was terrible or anything like that. They're going to happen whatever the context.

It's just just anyone who sees these would assume he was complaining to Showtime or a production company that hired him to direct something. He's complaining against something he's personally responsible for but these clips (without context) portray him as some sort of marytr of corporate constraints on artists. He's the corpo in this situation.

"You don't let me go dreamy."

The next sentence should be:

"Erm David you hired us to produce your $200m 18 hour film on a $50m 2-hour budget and schedule. Who exactly are you blaming that on?"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I agree that he probably compromised on the budget. In his own head (and Sabrina’s) just to get the job done. Even if they didn’t negotiate directly with Showtime. They did the negotiation in their own heads.

But you still have to live in reality and know that you are never get to get unlimited resources or perfection.

That’s frustrating. And we all get pissed about that at times.

But doing so (especially when you did set your own terms) is a bit childish and hypocritical.

And eminently human. And I think that’s what it comes down to. I’m comfortable calling him a bit of a hypocrite, and also seeing parts of myself in that behavior. And IMO it’s admirable that he is comfortable letting that mildly uncomfortable type of moment be aired in public. It’s a refreshing change from the way he used to carefully curate his public image to seem like he was Mr. Rogers or something.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:56 am I'm surprised they even released that clip - but why is it generating controversy now, 3-4 years later? But again, I'm surprised they just didn't cut it out. I get they were looking for a raw bts footage feel. Fair enough. But it must have occurred to them it might cause controversy at some stage. They should have just cut it or put some sort of explanation along with it at the time.
It's potentially controversial when taken isolation which is what tends to happen online. Sabrina's quite right to point out how it's removed of context, not just in the sense that most people probably don't 'get' what he's actually mad about but also that it lacks the continuity of the rest of the BTS series that shows what a Lynch set is actually like and how he gets on with those crewmembers in the video! It's pretty clear that he and Cori Glazer have a great working relationship and you would expect frustrations to arise like that now and then in any high pressure industry.

(Also somewhat noteworthy to me that the clip in question is not really about Lynch railing against any individual but more an abstract foe - time constraints - much like the other viral clip of him chainsmoking and complaining about Showtime)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Metamorphia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm

It's potentially controversial when taken isolation which is what tends to happen online. Sabrina's quite right to point out how it's removed of context, not just in the sense that most people probably don't 'get' what he's actually mad about but also that it lacks the continuity of the rest of the BTS series that shows what a Lynch set is actually like and how he gets on with those crewmembers in the video! It's pretty clear that he and Cori Glazer have a great working relationship and you would expect frustrations to arise like that now and then in any high pressure industry.

(Also somewhat noteworthy to me that the clip in question is not really about Lynch railing against any individual but more an abstract foe - time constraints - much like the other viral clip of him chainsmoking and complaining about Showtime)
Also a great point (the last one you made). I think Cori and Scott both get that. Cori may be a little more chagrined in the moment (no one likes being yelled at), but I think her continued affection for Lynch shows that she understands. As I said earlier, Scott just seems kind of amused by Lynch’s mini-tantrums.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Metamorphia wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm much like the other viral clip of him chainsmoking and complaining about Showtime
Which one is that.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Screenshot_20210603-154752_rif is fun.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-154752_rif is fun.jpg (154.06 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
I tried!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

We need a few pages of literary interpretation for that semicolon placement in the emoji at the end there
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

When she said she was popping in, I wonder if she meant here or on reddit.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.