Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 am All this time I've been rather hopeful that something is in the works, but recently I've been hearing otherwise so I will remain cautious.
Are you able to expand on that at all?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Not really. They came from second-hand sources so they may or may not be correct, but those rumors in combination with errors in the PW listing (incorrect email, incorrect filming date) and the lack of any update from my Netflix contact have definitely tempered my hopes and expectations.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Fair enough on all the rest, but remember that email error was not - as fatecolossal pointed out when I and others posted that too - in the PW (Production Weekly) listing, but in the less reliable PL (Production List) one. With regards to PW itself, they did quietly stop posting updates - so whatever that means, I suppose it could be viewed in a variety of ways, as either they heard there won't be a show or were asked to stop posting it until an announcement, or just because they heard no more.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I still doubt even the Production List "error" was actually theirs, or from googling the name and just clicking on the first they see - a NY-based dance troupe that hs been dormant since 2018 - and thinking "yep, this will be the company producing the next Lynch film in LA."
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

True, you're right. But the fact that the info was pulled from PW has added to my reservations about the project. I'm still hopeful though, but maybe a little less so these days.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It wasn't necessairly pulled from PW, was it? They just stopped posting it, which as I said above could be due to a variety of reasons, one of which could mean no show, but not necessarily - they might simply have had no more info or were asked to stop posting it until an announcement is made. (I might be wrong on this point so correct me if I am.)

I've decided I'm going to stick with the view that the plan is that more Twin Peaks is coming (this includes the possiiblity of a TP-adjacent spin-off style show, if not a direction continuation but lately I'm leaning back towards Season 4 for some reason) and there will be an official announcement at some point - if I'm wrong then whatever - but I'm personally sick of going back and forth in my own mind, so I'm sticking with that stance for now (though that doesn't mean I'm not skeptical or that I'll take every social media post as having extra meaning) but I'll pick that lane for now. Overall my feeling is there will be more or at least that they hope and plan to make more.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I totally understand and wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what to think. I can only speak for myself and advise others not to read too much into social media posts and likes as proof of anything. It's certainly frustrating for all of us how much this whole thing is dragging and I can say my morale is at a low point. I still remain an optimist that a new Lynch series is coming, but a more reserved optimist I guess you could say.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:41 am I still remain an optimist that a new Lynch series is coming, but a more reserved optimist I guess you could say.
Being cautiously optimistic is a good way to be!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Does anyone think there's gonna be episodes set abroad? Lots of references to Japan from Kyle, Fenn, Mary, and many others.

Imagine that.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It had occurred to me the Japan thing might be to throw people off the scent a bit (plausible deniability about posting wiseria pictures), but probably not.

The original Twin Peaks series and FWWM were VERY popular in Japan (not sure about The Return).
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:43 am
underthefan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:41 am I still remain an optimist that a new Lynch series is coming, but a more reserved optimist I guess you could say.
Being cautiously optimistic is a good way to be!
I agree, I think that's the best option!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 am
thedougpa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:58 pm I agree with Morden, though he's deleted his post. This thread is for Season 4 speculation - get all the other shit out of it, it's a headache.
Yeah he told me in private he's not at all happy and won't be around on dugpa. I completely understand, I've been on the verge of unsubscribing to my daily visits here when a similar discussion emerged earlier.

I'm not sure why but I don't see the rules displayed on the top of the forum anymore.
It's been very hard to stomach this episode, and I don't blame anyone who throws up their hands at this nonsense and leaves, even permanently. I don't know what Mordeen wrote, but I hope he'll come back. I think that most people do not want these arguments and just say nothing, hoping it ends quickly.

I don't see the rules posted either. Maybe they were accidentally left out following the extensive work done on the site recently. I do see the No Politics notice in the Hap's Diner off-topic forum from July 2012. At the time it probably seemed like the only place that the notice needed to be. If only that were the case now.
No Political Discussions Allowed
by Annie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Just a reminder-Hap's is for "friendly off-topic discussions." I've had to delete several disrespectful comments regarding the US elections and candidates. I don't know if overseas politics is as controversial, but it's probably safer not to write anything about politics anywhere in this forum. There are plenty of other places people on the internet can go to talk politics. Thanks.
To weigh in on the relevant topic, I can't help believe that something's afoot, though I have no opinion on what it is. I agree that the vast majority of possible clues are probably just wishful thinking, but there are a few things that seem meaningful, and, well, it just seems like something's up very recently. I've been very pessimistic, at least about more Peaks, but I'm also cautiously optimistic that Lynch is planning to direct something in the somewhat near future. (Emphasis on cautiously.)
Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 am It had occurred to me the Japan thing might be to throw people off the scent a bit (plausible deniability about posting wiseria pictures), but probably not.

The original Twin Peaks series and FWWM were VERY popular in Japan (not sure about The Return).
Wasn't an earlier one of these wisteria posts also a photo from Japan? Maybe the one by Sherilyn Fenn.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Insane that the pretty much the entire cast of Twin Peaks including a ostensible macguffin character like Alice Tremond would be all posting pictures of wisteria on their social media accounts, after a year of David Lynch saying he'd be working on a continuing story if not for the pandemic, copywriting 13 scripts, asking Laura Dern to shave her head... and people here are still doubting this is a) Twin Peaks b) happening at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

thedougpa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 am Insane that the pretty much the entire cast of Twin Peaks including a ostensible macguffin character like Alice Tremond would be all posting pictures of wisteria on their social media accounts, after a year of David Lynch saying he'd be working on a continuing story if not for the pandemic, copywriting 13 scripts, asking Laura Dern to shave her head... and people here are still doubting this is a) Twin Peaks b) happening at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Oh there are obviously so many signs, enough to understand why a lot of us are quite excited by all this. But the wisteria stuff could so easily just be the snowball effect of social media in action imo. No denying Mary Reber's involvement in it is super noteworthy tho!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Entirely possible most of the wisteria posts are just bandwagon jumping from actors who actually don't know a single thing about what Lynch is or isn't planning. Very unlikely most are, but plausible.

Not all of them, though. Not Kyle. Not Sabrina. Not only did Kyle post about wisteria, but about the bee. The bee is another recurring motif for this project, one also shared by Sabrina. Sabrina literally posted an image with the words wisteria on it and the head of Gordon Cole like some sort of bingo card for what he's going to say in the show. That's not a "coincidence."
vdcJaaN0Ej.jpg
vdcJaaN0Ej.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Surely people don't do that kind of thing. Surely most would grant that it's very implausible Sabrina would:

1. Suddenly open a very active social media page after years of being away from Twitter and Instagram
2. Dye her head the colour of the show's working title
3. Start posting very suggestive if ambiguous stories and images with equally suggestive captions
4. Actively monitor Twin Peaks social media fan activity and follow new pages as they appear
5. Suddenly start engaging on reddit again after years.
6. Start sharing memes and images like the above from Twin Peaks/Lynch fan pages which assume there's something happening, when there isn't actually anything happening.

Again, I'm not solid on social norms but can someone really claim the above would be a reasonable and logical thing to assume? I just can't see anyone acting that way, much less Sabrina who's a shining example of discretion and level-headed poise.

And even if all of them were made in complete ignorance. There's plenty of other evidence besides.