Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

A few more industry types (not super familiar with them myself but here are their names - Mark A. Altman, Mike Portnoy who mentioned a Season 4 AND a Season 5 so I'm guessing he watched the Obnoxious & Anonymous video, and Adam Huss) have started tweeting and a couple of more mainstream news sources (IndieWire, WhatCulture) are starting to pick it up (a lot seems to be from the AV Club article).

I won't post any more links or pics for awhile though as I think I've posted enough and don't want to bog the thread down anymore with every single mention/tweet. So I'll try to summarize anything I see and wait until something more concrete-looking or more intriguing appears to post pics/links. But yeah, there's quite a few tweets/articles starting to appear today.

Lisa Coronado just tweeted in response to Gwendoline Christie's tweet, saying "Yes please! Also, my character didn’t die soooooooo......."

Twin Peaks Season 3 Podcast changed their Twitter name to "TwinPeaks S4 podcast?" Lol.

So this is definitely continuing to build day by day, and yet still no one is (so far at least) shutting it down.

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the original Lynch/Frost tweets announcing Season 3/The Return.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am, edited 10 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jasper wrote:
Jonah wrote:She does look familiar to me. Is she British? I've never seen Game of Thrones! Could she be connected to a new season? She'd hardly tweet like this if she was, would she?
Loads of people, people in the industry and people not in the industry, have requested more Twin Peaks in similar fashion. There was also a lot of celebration from various public and private figures alike when TP S3 was announced.

It doesn't mean anything. (If she was ever going to be in TP, it would have been as the Fireman's consort in S3, because she's quite tall. 6.3")
Yes, it does mean something: the Profoundly Disappointed gang is just plain WRONG about The Return.

Just kidding Agent Earle. It's all in good fun...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote:
Yes, it does mean something: the Profoundly Disappointed gang is just plain WRONG about The Return.

Just kidding Agent Earle. It's all in good fun...
No worries, mate!
Anyhow, you got me thinking that I don't see many of us, "founding fathers" of that thread, around anymore, so I guess I'm one of the few still loitering about - others must have gotten TP out of their system and flocked to greener pastures. I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt, if only because it was such an integral part of my life for almost 30 years, though I realise the potential forthcoming material is very likely to go in the direction of The Return, not the old series. If anything, it might be even more extreme in that non-nostalgic, heroin-version-of-David-Lynch sort of way. Oh well, I'll probably part with it once and for all somewhere around season 7 :D
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

mtwentz wrote: the Profoundly Disappointed gang is just plain WRONG about The Return.
Really? So there aren't random characters, conversations that lead nowhere, there's plenty of Agent Cooper interacting with people in Twin Peaks, there's continuity beyond the pilot and FWWM, there's an ending and an actual plot? The whole thing isn't just some artists pet project with the sticker "Twin Peaks" on it to secure a budget? Maybe I'll have to rewatch it eventually because I sure missed those on the first run.

That said, I've been feverishly polling for news on the rumors for a few days now. Twin Peaks is so ingrained in my sub consciousnesses that I want more of it. I don't care if it mistreats me and hurts me like S3. Just bring it.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Kilmoore wrote:
mtwentz wrote: the Profoundly Disappointed gang is just plain WRONG about The Return.
Really? So there aren't random characters, conversations that lead nowhere, there's plenty of Agent Cooper interacting with people in Twin Peaks, there's continuity beyond the pilot and FWWM, there's an ending and an actual plot? The whole thing isn't just some artists pet project with the sticker "Twin Peaks" on it to secure a budget? Maybe I'll have to rewatch it eventually because I sure missed those on the first run.

That said, I've been feverishly polling for news on the rumors for a few days now. Twin Peaks is so ingrained in my sub consciousnesses that I want more of it. I don't care if it mistreats me and hurts me like S3. Just bring it.
Shall we form a new club? Let's say the Profoundly Disappointed, Eager for Seconds or something to that effect? :D
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Get me out of here!

What? What?!!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Kilmoore wrote:

I was just kidding...who cares what a celebrity thinks about TP? I couldn't resist lightly ribbing our good friend Agent Earle :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Kilmoore wrote:
Actually, I think you're absolutely right about all of those things. Well, except for the insinuation there's a lack of an ending (it's the mother of all endings, imo) and the fact that it isn't exactly what the creators consider to be Twin Peaks (I think it absolutely is). It's just a matter of interpretation about whether those things you mention are good or bad.
Agent Earle wrote:
Kilmoore wrote: That said, I've been feverishly polling for news on the rumors for a few days now. Twin Peaks is so ingrained in my sub consciousnesses that I want more of it. I don't care if it mistreats me and hurts me like S3. Just bring it.
Shall we form a new club? Let's say the Profoundly Disappointed, Eager for Seconds or something to that effect? :D
It's great to know everyone is still excited about the possibility for more! And while I do think, as Agent Earle said, that it will be extra Lynchy again, I also have a feeling that it will be different from The Return at the same time.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Well, to be profoundly disappointed in something to me means that it must had been something you had cherished or valued dearly. Getting another season though would be great even if I were to end up disappointed again. :-D
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

It is interesting that so many profoundly disappointed remain so ardently interested that they remain in internet communities. I'm not sure I can relate to that, I pretty easily lose interest in things that disappoint me.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

At first and only briefly I was disappointed with some of Season 3, but after I let go of what I wanted it to be. Season 3 became another Lynch masterpiece to me.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm more of a fan of the original series, than the Return, but I realize I'll probably never see another season that feels like the original series, so for any upcoming Peaks, I'll just weed my way through it and take what I can out of it and ignore the rest - pretty much what I did with the Return and it mostly worked for me. I just sat back and let it do its thing and tried to enjoy what I could of it.

In other news, non-news, maybe-news, now George Griffith is tweeting "The Stars Turn And A Time Presents Itself". So jumping on the rumor bandwagon perhaps. He's also at the UK TP fest this weekend, so it might just be about that too. And John Pirruccello cancelled his appearance at said festival due to an "acting job".
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:Well, to be profoundly disappointed in something to me means that it must had been something you had cherished or valued dearly. Getting another season though would be great even if I were to end up disappointed again. :-D
One thing that will be different if there is a Season 4: the expectations game.

No one will be expecting a show like the original series in a Season 4; plus the nostalgia stuff will be mostly out of the way.

So I think a hypothetical Season 4 might still be disappointing to some, but going in with lowered expectations will probably temper reactions.

I went into Season 3 expecting Inland Empire with the name Twin Peaks slapped on top of it. So I was pleasantly surprised at just how Peaksies it ended up being. Others felt blindsided, thus the negative reaction.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Indeed, this time (if we get something, and it is not yet clear that we are getting anything at all), it would be hard to anticipate. Most common theme that has been out there is that Carrie and Richard go around trying to remember how to get back/out. I had thought S3 would show me something of what may have transpired to Annie, and yet she was not mentioned at all, to name just one.

To be fair: to be disappointed in S3 (or large parts of it), does not mean one all of a sudden hates S1 and S2 and should not stick around anymore, at least sometimes. ;-) Some people left, some did not. If there is S4 it'd be great to get everyone back.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
boske wrote:Well, to be profoundly disappointed in something to me means that it must had been something you had cherished or valued dearly. Getting another season though would be great even if I were to end up disappointed again. :-D
One thing that will be different if there is a Season 4: the expectations game.

No one will be expecting a show like the original series in a Season 4; plus the nostalgia stuff will be mostly out of the way.

So I think a hypothetical Season 4 might still be disappointing to some, but going in with lowered expectations will probably temper reactions.

I went into Season 3 expecting Inland Empire with the name Twin Peaks slapped on top of it. So I was pleasantly surprised at just how Peaksies it ended up being. Others felt blindsided, thus the negative reaction.
Yes, after having to tackle a 25 year gap and address expectations in The Return, if anything it seems to me that Season 4 will be even more free to be its own thing. And that's extremely exciting!