Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by madeleineferguson »

My top 5 are Coppola, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Lynch and Scorcese. I'm anxious to see what more Ang Lee does in the coming years, I think he's incredible too.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:43 am
I can appreciate this, and am aware of Hitchcock's status, importance, and influence, but there are a few clear reasons why I dislike this film. (I watched it recently, last year, so it's not like my taste and judgment might have changed in the meantime.) The main thing is that I just don't like spy thriller / adventure films, especially not from the 60's (I'm talking specifically about American films of that genre from that period; it's not that I don't like 60's in general - there is so much to adore, just the French New Wave would be more than enough), and when these films are combined with comedy and romance, that makes it even worse. I am not trying to bash something other people might enjoy, and I know North by Northwest is regarded as a great film, but if I could use only one word to describe it, I would say it is just too silly. The film lost me in its first few minutes, at the moment when the bad guys manage to kidnap Cary Grant's character in the middle of a high-class club / bar - he should have just yelled "Help!", and that would be the end.

The fact that the film was so influential does not help either; I kind of blame it for that whole genre, the James Bond films, etc. Another example I can think of that really irritated me was Charade (1963), also starring Cary Grant... Give me black and white film noir intrigues from the 40's and 50's anytime, and spare me the goofy suspense thrillers from the 60's :)

À propos Alfred Hitchcock: I have seen around a dozen of his films - Rope (1948) is one of my all time favorite films, and I always liked Psycho - but generally he is just too plot driven for my taste. We mentioned Ingmar Bergman in another thread; now there is a director who is nothing like Hitchcock, but who may serve as a great example of the style, themes and "genres" I tend to lean to, as opposed to the more famous things Hitchcock did. (I might try seeing more of his earlier films.)

I would also like to hear which are, according to you, other 4 from the top 5 four-film runs in movie history. I'm guessing Stanley Kubrick and Francis Ford Coppola must be among them?
Thanks for the great and nuanced response! My only disagreement is that I think that silliness is just all part of the fun. There's a winking quality to North by Northwest (as in all of Hitchcock), but I get what you're saying. I don't have the time to get into the plot-focused side of Hitchcock, because I think that's a very nuanced discussion that requires a deep dive into all of his films, themes, obsessions, and what he was doing within the studio system/genre. He certainly SEEMS plot-focused at times, but needless to say I think there's a lot more to it (and I know you're not saying that that's all there is, either). I'm not trying to be short or withholding, either, so please don't take it that way. I'm just in the middle of a sad family situation right now.

As far as the other four-film runs, I don't know that I actually had all 5 in mind, and was more so just citing an arbitrary number to be filled out later. That said, I have thought of this before, and three others are unquestionably Kubrick, Coppola, and Tarkovsky. Off the top of my head, I can't recall others I've thought of in the past, but I will say that I think Godard has the best-ever run of films from 1960 to 1967, but I'm not sure which four-straight within that 15-film run would qualify.

Sorry to derail thread!
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Well, looks like another week without any real updates. Honestly, despite all the evidence to the contrary (i.e. checking Kyle MacLachlan’s second cousin’s Pinterest to see if they posted any pictures of wisteria…just kidding but only barely), I’m not really all that anxious for spoilers or major leaks. I’m fine with not knowing who is in it, if it’s TP related or anything about the plot, etc. In fact, I’d prefer the mystery but even just a “hey, yeah, we’re making a thing…it got delayed. Be patient!” would be nice just because I’m getting a little nervous whatever this is, or was, isn’t happening anymore.

I’m fairly certain something at least was in the works based on the early evidence but it seems like any momentum that was building kind of fizzled out. According to somebody on reddit who had “inside knowledge” (the impression I got from talking to them is that they know somebody in Lynch’s orbit, they are based out of LA) Lynch was “personally upset that Wisteria got leaked before production could get underway, and so he pulled the plug until attention winds down” but who knows how long that will be or if Netflix decides to abort, etc. Part of the reason I've been so drawn to figuring out what's going on with this thing is the fun of living in the mystery of it and being able to dream on the possibilities. As Lynch has said though “mystery is good, confusion is bad” and this is starting to feel more confusing than mysterious the longer it drags out.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ickles wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:51 am According to somebody on reddit who had “inside knowledge” (the impression I got from talking to them is that they know somebody in Lynch’s orbit, they are based out of LA) Lynch was “personally upset that Wisteria got leaked before production could get underway, and so he pulled the plug until attention winds down” but who knows how long that will be or if Netflix decides to abort, etc.
I hope that's not true. Could he really pull the plug on a major Netflix production though if contracts are signed etc? Maybe he just instructed everyone to go mute and stop hinting, hence Kyle's backpeddling on his
#wisteria post, etc.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

LateReg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:43 am
I can appreciate this, and am aware of Hitchcock's status, importance, and influence, but there are a few clear reasons why I dislike this film. (I watched it recently, last year, so it's not like my taste and judgment might have changed in the meantime.) The main thing is that I just don't like spy thriller / adventure films, especially not from the 60's (I'm talking specifically about American films of that genre from that period; it's not that I don't like 60's in general - there is so much to adore, just the French New Wave would be more than enough), and when these films are combined with comedy and romance, that makes it even worse. I am not trying to bash something other people might enjoy, and I know North by Northwest is regarded as a great film, but if I could use only one word to describe it, I would say it is just too silly. The film lost me in its first few minutes, at the moment when the bad guys manage to kidnap Cary Grant's character in the middle of a high-class club / bar - he should have just yelled "Help!", and that would be the end.

The fact that the film was so influential does not help either; I kind of blame it for that whole genre, the James Bond films, etc. Another example I can think of that really irritated me was Charade (1963), also starring Cary Grant... Give me black and white film noir intrigues from the 40's and 50's anytime, and spare me the goofy suspense thrillers from the 60's :)

À propos Alfred Hitchcock: I have seen around a dozen of his films - Rope (1948) is one of my all time favorite films, and I always liked Psycho - but generally he is just too plot driven for my taste. We mentioned Ingmar Bergman in another thread; now there is a director who is nothing like Hitchcock, but who may serve as a great example of the style, themes and "genres" I tend to lean to, as opposed to the more famous things Hitchcock did. (I might try seeing more of his earlier films.)

I would also like to hear which are, according to you, other 4 from the top 5 four-film runs in movie history. I'm guessing Stanley Kubrick and Francis Ford Coppola must be among them?
Thanks for the great and nuanced response! My only disagreement is that I think that silliness is just all part of the fun. There's a winking quality to North by Northwest (as in all of Hitchcock), but I get what you're saying. I don't have the time to get into the plot-focused side of Hitchcock, because I think that's a very nuanced discussion that requires a deep dive into all of his films, themes, obsessions, and what he was doing within the studio system/genre. He certainly SEEMS plot-focused at times, but needless to say I think there's a lot more to it (and I know you're not saying that that's all there is, either). I'm not trying to be short or withholding, either, so please don't take it that way. I'm just in the middle of a sad family situation right now.

As far as the other four-film runs, I don't know that I actually had all 5 in mind, and was more so just citing an arbitrary number to be filled out later. That said, I have thought of this before, and three others are unquestionably Kubrick, Coppola, and Tarkovsky. Off the top of my head, I can't recall others I've thought of in the past, but I will say that I think Godard has the best-ever run of films from 1960 to 1967, but I'm not sure which four-straight within that 15-film run would qualify.

Sorry to derail thread!
Thank you for your response, and I wish all the best to you and your family.

Regarding Godard, I actually wanted to ask you about him, but had the same issue of determining precisely four in a row from that 15-film run. As for Tarkovsky, he made only seven feature films, and they are all great, in my opinion. He's an absolute master.

And sorry to everyone for derailing the thread, will continue in the appropriate place!
Last edited by Stavrogyn on Sat May 08, 2021 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I just don't know how far along in the process it was with Netflix. I know a Breath of the Wild/Zelda show was in the works with Netflix but Nintendo "pulled the plug on it" after early leaks and it isn't happening anymore so there is a precedent for it.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 am
Ickles wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:51 am According to somebody on reddit who had “inside knowledge” (the impression I got from talking to them is that they know somebody in Lynch’s orbit, they are based out of LA) Lynch was “personally upset that Wisteria got leaked before production could get underway, and so he pulled the plug until attention winds down” but who knows how long that will be or if Netflix decides to abort, etc.
I hope that's not true. Could he really pull the plug on a major Netflix production though if contracts are signed etc? Maybe he just instructed everyone to go mute and stop hinting, hence Kyle's backpeddling on his
#wisteria post, etc.
That's someone just inventing tales to post on reddit. Whilst I am sure Lynch didn't want the Production Weekly details going public, the pandemic is far more significant in any delays. As he said before on a weather report the first time he mentioned Dire Straits, he said we are now in dire straits what with covid-19. Of course he did his KCRW call-out this week for Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing. Whether that's Lynch saying he's still in 'dire straits', I can imagine so.

Imagining for a moment that Lynch really did halt the production due to #wisteria posts, they have not subsided at all. Fenn re-posted Susan Sarandon's wisteria post just recently.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

She also gave that interview where she revealed he is working on a new TV show (and that she's "not there"), though a lot of her comments and even her retweet could be just reading about the rumours like the rest of us. The original rumours about Wisteria surfaced a long time ago, right? That all happened on reddit pre-pandemic, and there was also that flurry of social media posts with shushing gestures and other hints (not sure if that stuff pre-dated the Wisteria rumours or not), so it seems odd Lynch is suddenly so upset he's pulling out of the deal, and seems to only be a response to the copyright filings/Unrecorded Night title/PW listings with the person forgetting the earlier rumours.

I think you're right that it's probably pandemic delays, could also be a bit of budget rumbling, as with Showtime before.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I mean, it's probably all of the above. Certainly covid delays were the main culprit but Lynch is notoriously tight-lipped and hates leaks. I don't think he would be so rash as to just halt a multi-million dollar production because of some social media posts of wisteria flowers but if the pandemic halted things and the momentum stopped who knows where it's at right now. It's just weird to me that there hasn't even been any sort of announcement something is even happening. I mean, various shows and films that were previously announced and in development had to halt production because of covid and it was public knowledge.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Well, it's been said on here before that he filmed Inland Empire for 2 years before he announced anything. He wouldn't be able to do that with this production, but it shows how tight-lipped he can be. With regards to The Return, that was in the works for a good 3-4 years (maybe longer) before an announcement was made, during which time he point blank denied more TP was coming (correct me if I'm wrong on that, fellow Dugpies). That announcement seemed very synchronized, so he and Netflix may be planning something similar, or waiting until budget/contracts finalized, shooting starts, something else.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

We haven't really had "updates" per say, anyway. It's all regulatory affairs, leaks, journalist hints, forum posts and finally conjecture.

But from the whether report today I'd wager we don't have much longer to wait.

News will come within the next week. Surely.

Hopefully.

Please.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 am But from the whether report today I'd wager we don't have much longer to wait.
What makes you think that?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Ummm.....

Do tell.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

In the PW listings Netflix was removed from the Unrecorded Night/Wisteria prompt so could it be possible that Lynch did in fact pull the plug on the show being on Netflix and is bringing it back to Showtime? I definitely think something is happening still but I think if he really did pull the plug we would’ve heard about it by now
"Jade give two rides."
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

So many people wandering around claiming inside knowledge on Reddit. Red is reddit. Makes things appear in your mouth that aren't real.

The only orbit that matters is Jupiter and her rings.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .