Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

Jerry Horne wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 am Nope. I know nothing.
Ha! So that was them on May 3rd.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

@fatecolossal
To mark 1 year of David Lynch’s daily weather reports (in their 2nd stint - the 1st coming in the early 2000s), he’s celebrating w/ a sign:

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY
THE WEATHER REPORT
(THE RETURN)”

in an apparent playful nod towards the promo name for TWIN PEAKS’ 3rd season, THE RETURN
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 am
That one felt especially egregious. My disc has one "English" subtitles track for the Polish dialogue. They went through the effort of not hard coding them and including a seperate track only to refuse to include text for the English language parts on an SRT that's already there.

I get pushback whenever I suggest it might be an artistic choice but if it is then it's really indefensible. Some of us don't have good ears or have other difficulties requiring captions. No one is excluded by not adding chapter breaks but many are with not hearing stuff.

I've heard it's a rights issue or a Studio Canal choice but even then I have 20 Studio Canal titles and only two don't have subs. Both are Lynch films. The Mulholland Drive one includes subs for five other languages and English CCs for the extras. Just not the film itself.

Anyhow, sorry if I took this thread off track.
All I can say about that is that is that subs are sometimes an obviously artistic choice on Lynch's part - especially in Inland Empire for the Polish parts (which are necessary) and the street scene near the end (a purely artistic choice). For what it's worth, there are a handful of lines of English dialogue in Inland Empire that are almost impossible to make out...and so unless Lynch provided the subtitles himself, then they would likely be wrong and therefore be worthless. Now whether Lynch should provide clarification on dialogue so subs can be included is another story. I do think it may be because he values the experience above all and doesn't want people referencing subtitles or being distracted by them, especially since some dialogue isn't necessarily meant to be fully heard, but obviously it does discriminate against the hearing impaired to not include any subs whatsoever.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

LateReg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am
Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 am
That one felt especially egregious. My disc has one "English" subtitles track for the Polish dialogue. They went through the effort of not hard coding them and including a seperate track only to refuse to include text for the English language parts on an SRT that's already there.

I get pushback whenever I suggest it might be an artistic choice but if it is then it's really indefensible. Some of us don't have good ears or have other difficulties requiring captions. No one is excluded by not adding chapter breaks but many are with not hearing stuff.

I've heard it's a rights issue or a Studio Canal choice but even then I have 20 Studio Canal titles and only two don't have subs. Both are Lynch films. The Mulholland Drive one includes subs for five other languages and English CCs for the extras. Just not the film itself.

Anyhow, sorry if I took this thread off track.
All I can say about that is that is that subs are sometimes an obviously artistic choice on Lynch's part - especially in Inland Empire for the Polish parts (which are necessary) and the street scene near the end (a purely artistic choice). For what it's worth, there are a handful of lines of English dialogue in Inland Empire that are almost impossible to make out...and so unless Lynch provided the subtitles himself, then they would likely be wrong and therefore be worthless. Now whether Lynch should provide clarification on dialogue so subs can be included is another story. I do think it may be because he values the experience above all and doesn't want people referencing subtitles or being distracted by them, especially since some dialogue isn't necessarily meant to be fully heard, but obviously it does discriminate against the hearing impaired to not include any subs whatsoever.
Yeah. if dialogue isn't meant to be heard (or heard easily) then it shouldn't be transcribed, either. But a blanket veto on captions for regular dialogue would be a difficult position to defend.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I wish Deadwood had english subtitles when Swerengen argued with Mr Wu
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 am I wish Deadwood had english subtitles when Swerengen argued with Mr Wu
I literally could not get through 1 minute of Deadwood (no matter who was talking to whom) without having English subs on. And even then, deciphering the meaning was a not inconsiderable task. It was like Shakespeare-does-Wild-West.
Full disclosure: I loved the show the first half of the first season. Then it lost me, I got bored, and I couldn't understand why everyone was raving about it (I watched it some 12 years after it went off the air). Then it grabbed me throughout the 3rd season again and just when I got hooked, it was over!..

Sorry, I felt like derailing the thread :) It's tiresome waiting for some news on the Lynch front, with nothing truly happening day in, day out... Radio silence.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agent Earle wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 am Sorry, I felt like derailing the thread :) It's tiresome waiting for some news on the Lynch front, with nothing truly happening day in, day out... Radio silence.
Agreed. I usually try to keep things active during downtime, but even I grow weary of it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I keep waking up thinking that maybe I’ll get the notification that this new project is announced. It’s going to be one of these days! If it’s really Season 4 I’m more than fine with this wait #TwinPeaksUnrecordedNight

Edit: Also Kyle has been noticeably quiet on social media as of late
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh well. The twenty-five years between S2 and S3 were worse. We're not even five years into this wait yet. LOL.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:35 am Oh well. The twenty-five years between S2 and S3 were worse. We're not even five years into this wait yet. LOL.
I was just thinking about that. I can’t even imagine how it must’ve been for the people on here who watched when it was first on like that. I don’t know how you guys did it lol
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

When I joined this site back in 2007, one of the first things I said in my introduction was something like, even though it may not be a popular opinion, I hoped Twin Peaks comes back one day. It seemed so unlikely back then, as 16 years or so had already elapsed, but come to think of it a lot more cast members were still alive and a lot younger, so it shouldn't have seemed so unlikely - but it did.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I consider myself a David Lynch fan more than a Twin Peaks fan so that wait wasn't that brutal because we was doing other stuff, including making a handful of the greatest films of all time. Honestly the wait between Inland Empire and The Return was more frustrating because he wasn't doing much of anything besides some random shorts. In all honesty I'd personally prefer Unrecorded Night be its own thing and not necessarily TP4 as I was satisfied with how The Return ended and I would like to see him tell another story but I'll take what I can get just because I love being in his world, no matter what it is.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Ickles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 am I consider myself a David Lynch fan more than a Twin Peaks fan so that wait wasn't that brutal because we was doing other stuff, including making a handful of the greatest films of all time. Honestly the wait between Inland Empire and The Return was more frustrating because he wasn't doing much of anything besides some random shorts. In all honesty I'd personally prefer Unrecorded Night be its own thing and not necessarily TP4 as I was satisfied with how The Return ended and I would like to see him tell another story but I'll take what I can get just because I love being in his world, no matter what it is.
agreed, I would like to see something entirely new
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... 96709?s=19

Didn't realise Kyle MacLachlan liked this tweet.

I swear at this point Netflix could drop Twin Peaks Season Four: A Sequel To The Return, Limited Event Series Number Two - The Rise of Judy tonight and I'll watch it all then still be on the fence on whether it exists.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Histeria wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:06 am https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... 96709?s=19

Didn't realise Kyle MacLachlan liked this tweet.

I swear at this point Netflix could drop Twin Peaks Season Four: A Sequel To The Return, Limited Event Series Number Two tonight and I'll watch it all then still be on the fence on whether it exists.
Haha I’m the same way. I’m more than fine with this being an entirely new thing but if he wants to make a fourth season I will NOT not say no. I just think all of the signs have been pointing to this being TP related.

Edit: That’s two posts he’s liked now relating to the new project for those keeping track at home
"Jade give two rides."