Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by Rainwater »

How they even manage to fuck that up is a bit mystifying to me. Is it just that much of a low effort release?
I'll see you in the trees
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by LateReg »

Vier Sieben wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:54 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:12 pm
IcedOver wrote:Quick question though I think I already know the answer. This set does not have any new remasters of the original series, it's the exact same transfer used in 2014, correct? The only differences I can tell are the UHD disc (which is unusable for me) and a few extra special features. I have the 2014 and S3 sets so am on the fence about buying this. It looks like I waited too long anyway because even though I looked last week and it was $100-$125 or so, this week it's over $200. It feels like it isn't worth it.
It’s the exact same discs as The Entire Mystery and A Limited Event Series sets, repackaged. There are two additional discs of new special features (all BTS footage from TR) and the 4K disc. Otherwise, one and the same.
It sounds like this is the case but just o make sure: does this mean the "Z to A" set has the same audio sync issues as the 2014 "Entire Mystery " set?
I replied in the other thread, but yes, the sync issues still exist with the same workarounds by changing settings. Changing the settings fixed any issues I had with the original series (around the time they're discussing the smoked cheese pig), but did not fully fix the Missing Pieces 2 x 4 scene. At any rate, same discs, same issues.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rainwater wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:24 pm How they even manage to fuck that up is a bit mystifying to me. Is it just that much of a low effort release?
I had said in the other thread that I think it was never considered an actual flaw in the disc because it was fixed for many people by changing the settings. That doesn't change the fact that the settings don't need to be changed to make other discs work, of course, which means there is a flaw, obviously! But it's also only in a few brief moments. Still, there should have been a replacement issued and never was.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I ordered a set from abroad and the 4K disc doesn't work at all, taking minutes of stuttering to get past the CBS animation. That disc was the only reason I ordered this, my third boxset and seventh version of the show in various mediums.

CBS told me to F off and getting it back to the retailer will cost me more than it cost in delivery and/or time off work. I've been waiting for this to come in stock somewhere for months and this happens.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:30 pm I ordered a set from abroad and the 4K disc doesn't work at all, taking minutes of stuttering to get past the CBS animation. That disc was the only reason I ordered this, my third boxset and seventh version of the show in various mediums.

CBS told me to F off and getting it back to the retailer will cost me more than it cost in delivery and/or time off work. I've been waiting for this to come in stock somewhere for months and this happens.
Geez, I'm sorry to hear that. That's especially tough given the out of print status of it. I haven't heard of other issues with the 4k disc so that's extra frustrating.
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

Thanks to all for their responses. I want to apologize for asking the same question in two different threads. I wasn't sure which one would be active. Is everyone else okay with moving discussion over to the tech thread (http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131045#top) to avoid unnecessary repetition?
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:30 pm I ordered a set from abroad and the 4K disc doesn't work at all, taking minutes of stuttering to get past the CBS animation. That disc was the only reason I ordered this, my third boxset and seventh version of the show in various mediums.

Well F to CBS! Where is the customer service?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
rocketsan

Post by rocketsan »

What is in Z to A that isn’t released anywhere else? Have two vhs sets, two DVD sets and two blu ray sets…

Is there anything in Z to A to make it worth buying?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

rocketsan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:02 pm What is in Z to A that isn’t released anywhere else? Have two vhs sets, two DVD sets and two blu ray sets…

Is there anything in Z to A to make it worth buying?
There's 2 exclusive Blu-ray discs, with these features:

18 (one for each part) segments of 'Behind the Curtain,' which is extra footage from the same source as 'Impressions' from the standard Blu-ray edition. There's a lot of footage, but you can think of it as a Part-specific collection of anything not deemed "highlight reel" worthy for 'Impressions.' In other words, 'Impressions' was all the best stuff and was edited as a cohesive feature whereas these are all extras. These are split over 2 discs, the majority on the first disc. The rest of the second disc contains:
A (very short) interview with Kimmy Robertson & Harry Goaz (Lucy & Andy). Kinda cute.
A lengthy (hour plus) talk with Kyle MacLachlan (Coop) & Sheryl Lee (Laura) moderated by the co-author of the recent Lynch memior. It's an interesting talk, but not that much more penetrating than other interviews with the same participants.
Creditless Roadhouse performances, including another Au Revoir Simone number that didn't make it onto the show but was filmed, and much more of Julee Cruise's performance, more resembling the length/style of other numbers.

There's also a 4k disc with new 4k scans/masters of the Pilot and Part 8. Some have reported this is frequently glitchy, but I haven't tried it because I don't have a 4k capable player.

All in all, I wouldn't say any of these individually or in sum warrant the investement, given how much the price has shot up.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
rocketsan

Post by rocketsan »

Great, thanks! Have the opportunity to pick one up opened for $80
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

AXX°N N. wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:00 am
There's also a 4k disc with new 4k scans/masters of the Pilot and Part 8. Some have reported this is frequently glitchy, but I haven't tried it because I don't have a 4k capable player.
I've experienced no glitches or glitchiness in the 4k discs. I think that's just an anomaly.

As for the rest, great descriptions. But while you may be accurate in your description of the 18 part making of consisting of non-highlights, I don't think of any of that footage as being less exciting than what was previously released. It never ceased to fascinate me and I think its all invaluable and worth having. (The price anygiven individual may want to pay is a different story.)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

My first set had a faulty 4K disc and I heard from others on Twitter who said the same.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

LateReg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:27 am But while you may be accurate in your description of the 18 part making of consisting of non-highlights, I don't think of any of that footage as being less exciting than what was previously released. It never ceased to fascinate me and I think its all invaluable and worth having. (The price anygiven individual may want to pay is a different story.)
As exactly what it is, tons of fly on the wall footage, I did absolutely enjoy it. Any reason for being interested (wanting to see more of Lynch's process, spending more time with the performers, etc.) holds up and is rewarded. It's just that Impressions was less of a grind sheerly due to length and editing; I enjoyed it as a condensed experience and feel like I remember more of the clips therein.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

rocketsan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:26 am Great, thanks! Have the opportunity to pick one up opened for $80
No problem. That's a steal! :)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

AXX°N N. wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:38 pm
LateReg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:27 am But while you may be accurate in your description of the 18 part making of consisting of non-highlights, I don't think of any of that footage as being less exciting than what was previously released. It never ceased to fascinate me and I think its all invaluable and worth having. (The price anygiven individual may want to pay is a different story.)
As exactly what it is, tons of fly on the wall footage, I did absolutely enjoy it. Any reason for being interested (wanting to see more of Lynch's process, spending more time with the performers, etc.) holds up and is rewarded. It's just that Impressions was less of a grind sheerly due to length and editing; I enjoyed it as a condensed experience and feel like I remember more of the clips therein.
Yeah, no argument there. At the same time what's really great about the later collection of bts footage is that it is divided by parts. In its own way it provides a condensed experience as well, unique from Impressions (and without the controversial Herzog narration).