Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:51 pm
LateReg wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:11 pm White and Dern found a proper ending that I'm more than satisfied with.
Do you mean the ending to Season 2? I remember finding it abrupt, but maybe I need to read the recap and remind myself.
Yes, the end of season 2. I've seen it three or four times - including once within the last two months - and it seems to build properly to me, step by step, to a conclusion that perfectly bookends the opening of the series. The season is only 8 episodes, though, whereas the first season was 10. So for that reason maybe it can seem a bit more frantic, which I had chalked up to the twists and turns of the season more so than the brevity or the pacing.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I did watch it pretty quickly. I remember it but it's vague so going to have to refresh myself. I remember the Season 1 finale more - when she finds the password and imagines lighting the place up. That stands out stronger in my memory.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:13 pm I did watch it pretty quickly. I remember it but it's vague so going to have to refresh myself. I remember the Season 1 finale more - when she finds the password and imagines lighting the place up. That stands out stronger in my memory.
Definitely, that was a truly exciting ending to the first season.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I been watching Deadwood season 1. Funny how many spoilers they put in the next episode trailers back in 2004.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Been watching "Big Sky" on ABC. Can anyone recommend something similar that only has a few episodes or a season or two, something that has no standalone episodes and is completely serialized, meaning most episodes lead directly into the next, a "continuing story" as Lynch puts it. I don't want to make a big commitment so nothing with 100 episodes or 5 or more seasons. I've stopped asking for something that's like "Twin Peaks" or "Lost" as I've never been able to find that, but something in that ballpark would be cool. "Big Sky" is very hit and miss, but it's sort of the thing I have in mind if there's no better options - a mystery/thriller kind of feel, but not a procedural, not standalone, and not too many episodes. If it's supernatural or arty that's okay too, but I'm looking for something that's good but a bit cheesy - just something that's gripping and entertaining, it doesn't have to be a great show, just entertaining. (I'm ruling out anything already mentioned in the thread for now as most of them have a lot of seasons.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Had a look around and these seem to be the shows that fit a limited series/mystery-thriller vibe:

The Undoing
The Outsider
Big Little Lies (saw bits of Season 1 but haven't actually sat down to watch it)
Sharp Objects

Has anyone seen any of these and what are your thoughts if so? Anything else you can add to this list in a similar vein?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mystery/Thriller...

The Little Drummer Girl (john Le Carre adaptation) on AMC was limited to just a few episodes.
pretty good.

The BBC adaptations of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness were fantastic.
particularly Tinker Tailor.

the first Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren also really good mystery/thriller.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Big Little Lies and Sharp Objects are both really well done and fun, and both have a somewhat "cheesy" element to them.

Hannibal is three 13-episode seasons, and is what I would most recommend to you. More than almost any other show I can think of, it is both fully indebted to the Lynch style and wholly its own thing. You have to get through a few episodes to see how different it is, though.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’ll always second a Hannibal recommendation. ;)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I've heard good things about it (and I've seen all the movies) but think it would be too gory and disturbing for my tastes. I like mystery/thrillers but nothing too extreme. I used to have a higher tolerance for that stuff, but not so much anymore. Depends on the show, I suppose, but I've heard it's very intense and twisted. Is it?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:40 pm I've heard good things about it (and I've seen all the movies) but think it would be too gory and disturbing for my tastes. I like mystery/thrillers but nothing too extreme. I used to have a higher tolerance for that stuff, but not so much anymore. Depends on the show, I suppose, but I've heard it's very intense and twisted. Is it?
It's very intense and twisted, but something you might appreciate is that, like Twin Peaks, it aired on regular old network TV (NBC) and really danced around the restrictions. So that might add some interest for you in its relation to Peaks.

I will try to think of something else as well.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:03 pm Mystery/Thriller...

The Little Drummer Girl (john Le Carre adaptation) on AMC was limited to just a few episodes.
pretty good.

The BBC adaptations of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness were fantastic.
particularly Tinker Tailor.

the first Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren also really good mystery/thriller.
The Little Drummer Girl sounds good and I had completely forgotten about Prime Suspect, which began in 1991 and I love early 90's stuff and Helen Mirren. Not sure I ever saw it actually apart from maybe bits as a kid, must see if I can find it. Thanks.
LateReg wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:28 pm
Jonah wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:40 pm I've heard good things about it (and I've seen all the movies) but think it would be too gory and disturbing for my tastes. I like mystery/thrillers but nothing too extreme. I used to have a higher tolerance for that stuff, but not so much anymore. Depends on the show, I suppose, but I've heard it's very intense and twisted. Is it?
It's very intense and twisted, but something you might appreciate is that, like Twin Peaks, it aired on regular old network TV (NBC) and really danced around the restrictions. So that might add some interest for you in its relation to Peaks.

I will try to think of something else as well.
I definitely like the idea of a show dancing around its network restrictions, but if its too gory it probably won't be for me. I also kind of like to leave Hannibal to the movies with Hopkins et al, but I'll think about it. Thanks.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:16 pm
I definitely like the idea of a show dancing around its network restrictions, but if its too gory it probably won't be for me. I also kind of like to leave Hannibal to the movies with Hopkins et al, but I'll think about it. Thanks.
It can only be so gory since its network, but at the same time it is positively imaginative in its gore. I'm not sure if it's actually what you're looking for or not -- it's probably the most artistic, atmospheric series of its time, which is another mindblowing thing about it airing on NBC -- so I'll just say one more thing and leave it at that: Mads Mikkelsen is probably the definitive Hannibal Lecter, surpassing Hopkins, and the series thoroughly revamps and comments upon the Lecter lore. It's very much worth existing beside SIlence of the Lambs and Manhunter (in which Brian Cox played Lecter).
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I re-watched the first Prime Suspect recently. it's like 4 one hour episodes I think. Holds up really well to repeated viewings.
Helen Mirren's performance is off the charts.

the sequels were largely lame,
though Prime Suspect 6 (circa 2006) was some of the most satisfying TV I ever watched.

also, the Red Riding TV-Movies based on David Peace's books, pretty good mystery-thriller fare.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I also remember really liking the first "Prime Suspect" mini series, then being disappointed with the second series, and only checking out the first episode of the third. If you say one of the later seasons is good I am a bit tempted to seek it out, but do you mean series 6 from 2003 or season 7 from 2006?