Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Post by JackwithOneEye »

other interesting shows -

The XYY Man - I finished season 1 on you tube, currently on season 2. if you like 1970's cockney culture, can pick up a lot of interesting phrases watching this one, Full of british character actors, Don Henderson as Bulman, Paul Freeman etc.

The Good Place - I just started watching this on Netflix. pretty funny.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Another interesting show I've been watching of late is this british anthology series Thriller from the 70's- all the episodes are up on Shout Factory's site.

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/thriller

there's at least two episodes i've watched so far with psychogenic fugues, one with a car accident/amnesia and murder plot. may be of interest to Lynch fans.

also, there's one with a butler and maid that is like watching a rough draft of Parasite.

Very enjoyable pulpy series.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I'm in no position to make a list of the best TV shows - I have watched hardly any of even the most famous ones. No time. If I want to try, I rarely go beyond a season 1 of anything. Which is also why the mini-series format is good for me.

A few things, though:

- whatever else I'd try to watch, Twin Peaks remains unrivalled

- I haven't seen anyone mentioning Chernobyl, which for me was top-class and perhaps the best piece of film (cinema or tv) I watched last year

- I like all Game of Thrones, including the last season

- ... but I can't make myself watch Breaking Bad, which all my friends tell me is a wonder of wonders...... yes, I believe them and all, but the first four episodes aroused zero interest about what's gonna come next... I disliked all characters... I was bored... I managed to watch these four episodes within, like, a month... Perhaps it's just not for me?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Anyone been watching Loki?
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am Anyone been watching Loki?
You mean "scourge-on-society, going-to-ruin-cinema-as-we-know-it-for-some-reason" Loki? Yes, I have! It's great.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 am
You mean "scourge-on-society, going-to-ruin-cinema-as-we-know-it-for-some-reason" Loki? Yes, I have! It's great.
If WandaVision was a pleasant surprise in how far they moved away from the template, then Loki is an atomic bomb to the senses.

Fantastic filmmaking. And so PRETTY. Even the static dialogue scenes are artsy and have a curated sheen that has eluded the MCU to date.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 am
If WandaVision was a pleasant surprise in how far they moved away from the template, then Loki is an atomic bomb to the senses.

Fantastic filmmaking. And so PRETTY. Even the static dialogue scenes are artsy and have a curated sheen that has eluded the MCU to date.
I’ve only watched the first two so far, but I’m currently on the fence. I really enjoyed Owen Wilson’s deadpan performance and some of the Douglas Adams/Doctor Who style ideas, but I’ve found the humour a little flat and the whole thing a bit more sluggish than it should be. The character of Loki doesn’t quite work for me as a castrated antihero, and I thought the action scenes were quite sloppily directed. If you’re going to use a song like ‘Holding Out For a Hero’ then the action should be a lot more kinetic and tightly choreographed than what we got.

Watching episodes 3 and 4 tonight, hope I enjoy them more. I was a bit disappointed by the generic nature of Wandavision’s finale (skipped the Falcon and Winter Soldier series altogether), and am hoping they have a little more up their sleeve here.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

enumbs wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:03 am
Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 am

I’ve only watched the first two so far, but I’m currently on the fence. I really enjoyed Owen Wilson’s deadpan performance and some of the Douglas Adams/Doctor Who style ideas, but I’ve found the humour a little flat and the whole thing a bit more sluggish than it should be. The character of Loki doesn’t quite work for me as a castrated antihero, and I thought the action scenes were quite sloppily directed. If you’re going to use a song like ‘Holding Out For a Hero’ then the action should be a lot more kinetic and tightly choreographed than what we got.

Watching episodes 3 and 4 tonight, hope I enjoy them more. I was a bit disappointed by the generic nature of Wandavision’s finale (skipped the Falcon and Winter Soldier series altogether), and am hoping they have a little more up their sleeve here.
Would be very interested in your views on Ep5. Do update when you get there!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

No, Loki, Wanda Vision etc. won't ruin cinema - their cinematic counterparts have already done that. They'll only ruin what's still left to ruin - television.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Not yet, because I keep postponing WandaVision, since I either watch films when I'm alone or Star Trek: The Next Generation when I'm with my girlfriend, but yeah, I'm burning to watch Loki. He's my favorite character from all the MCU - I even have a T-shirt with his charming image that I wear on special occasions!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 am If WandaVision was a pleasant surprise in how far they moved away from the template, then Loki is an atomic bomb to the senses.

I finished Loki this morning. It's probably my favorite of the three series so far, but I don't see it as any sort of artistic leap or thing of great beauty--though it certainly is attractive, creative and fun. However, I'd be interested in hearing more about why you feel the way you do.

FWIW, I do think all three series have taken steps to advance the MCU (up to a point, I very much liked aspects of Falcon and Winter Soldier and thought that it was credibly grappling with deep seated issues of race, for example). But I still see it all as baby steps. For many reasons, for me WandaVision ended up being the most disappointing of the three (not necessarily weakest, just most disappointing relative to expectations and the promise of how it began). By the fourth episode, when everything began tying so wholly into the rest of the established Universe, I felt that the series had already become more or less typical...even as I was aware enough of the unprecedented things it was doing to bring serialized comic storylines to life that I spoke out loud things like "man, I wish I were a fan of this stuff because if I were I'd be happy as a pig in shit right now!" Needless to say, by the time the last two episodes returned fully to formula I was thoroughly disappointed; requiring a PhD in the ways of the MCU, the series seemed to me to be rather meaningless other than to itself--which can be fine in general, but here did not sit well with me. Its potential depth was not lost on me, in that the central storyline was about dealing with trauma, and I especially admired the time/genre-specific aesthetic imitations of the series, but I often found it unfunny (intentionally unfunny, perhaps?) and its finer points obscured by clutter, as it was eventually mostly in service of the established formula and a slave to advancing the Universe (which often hinders the MCU's storytelling, imo). In the end, it really didn't feel any different as a whole. Similarly, the last episode of Falcon/Winter Soldier also fell flat and failed to capitalize on the greater ideas of the previous episodes (one episode contains what I believe to be the MCU's most meaningfully loaded image, a high point of the series and one of the few times the camera captures an image that tells a story beyond the plot), while succumbing to further Universe building. Loki fared a bit better in the end simply for dropping the bombast, but I also have this tingling sensation that I should have known all along where it was going based on where the MCU itself may be going.

One thing I will say is that I like how they are unafraid to let some of these episodes breathe thanks to the longer runtimes for series. In Falcon/Winter Soldier during a late episode when you'd think things would be heating up, they surprisingly allow a good 20 minutes for the pals to basically hang out and go fishing. I think this approach is a definite strength.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

BOB1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:57 am Well, I am this strange kind of Starwars freak that was raised with the original trilogy and yet has no issues with either prequels nor sequels... I just love it!
I have decided to post my question to you here since this is a television-related thread: have you seen The Mandalorian, and what did you think of it?
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Bron/Broen
Dekalog
Ethos
Fleabag
Succession
Sharp Objects
The Fall
The Night Of
True Detective S3
WandaVision
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:48 am Bron/Broen
Dekalog
Ethos
Fleabag
Succession
Sharp Objects
The Fall
The Night Of
True Detective S3
WandaVision
Twin Peaks doesn't even make the top 10??? What is this, Histeria? A truly controversial opinion indeed!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:09 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:48 am Bron/Broen
Dekalog
Ethos
Fleabag
Succession
Sharp Objects
The Fall
The Night Of
True Detective S3
WandaVision
Twin Peaks doesn't even make the top 10??? What is this, Histeria? A truly controversial opinion indeed!
Twin Peaks is a given, would have been a waste of a spot in both movie and TV threads :lol: