Poll: What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

An entirely new DL project/not TP related at all
31%
A new DL project but set in same universe as TP
No votes
A new David Lynch anthology-style show with elements being unrealized projects (TP related or not - doesn't matter)
14%
TP related (spin-off/spiritual successor) but not Season 4/direct continuation
7%
TP Season 4
24%
TP some sort of direct continuation (movie/series of movies)
14%
Combination of above/Something Else (specify in comments)
10%

Total votes: 29
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Re: Poll: What do you want Wisteria/Unrecorded Night to be?

Post by pinballmars »

I have no expectations at all. I think people sometimes ruin cool things for themselves by approaching them with heavy expectations for what it's going to be. They end up only being able to see what the work ISN'T rather than what it is.

Also, we don't know enough about this yet for me to expect anything. We're not even sure what the title is.

All I know for sure is that it's not TP-related. Mark Frost said on Twitter that he's not involved.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

pinballmars wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:50 am All I know for sure is that it's not TP-related. Mark Frost said on Twitter that he's not involved.
If you look in the main thread, that hasn't stopped people from still thinking it's TP-related (like FWWM). Though it does worry me and recently other things have also made me think it might not be TP, which I've also just been posting about in the other thread. http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=127079
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

If I had a nickel for every weird theory that came from nowhere other than someone's imagination about more Twin Peaks coming, I'd be dead.

Lynch and Frost are partners in Twin Peaks. Nothing happens with Twin Peaks without both off them at least approving it. Frost still has an exec producer credit on FWWM. He may have disagreed with its approach, but he still signed a few papers somewhere to make it happen. If Frost has zero involvement in this new Lynch project, it's NOT Twin Peaks and that's that.

It's nothing worry about, though! Lynch is a great filmmaker. Whatever this Netflix thing is, I will be planted on my couch for it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

pinballmars wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm If I had a nickel for every weird theory that came from nowhere other than someone's imagination about more Twin Peaks coming, I'd be dead.

Lynch and Frost are partners in Twin Peaks. Nothing happens with Twin Peaks without both off them at least approving it. Frost still has an exec producer credit on FWWM. He may have disagreed with its approach, but he still signed a few papers somewhere to make it happen. If Frost has zero involvement in this new Lynch project, it's NOT Twin Peaks and that's that.

It's nothing worry about, though! Lynch is a great filmmaker. Whatever this Netflix thing is, I will be planted on my couch for it.
I don’t really expect this to be TP, but remember that Frost appears to have transferred his ownership of TP to Lynch (Frost is no longer a corporate officer of Twin Peaks Productions as of the most recent filings). So there is a possibility that it would happen without him.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:48 pm
pinballmars wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm If I had a nickel for every weird theory that came from nowhere other than someone's imagination about more Twin Peaks coming, I'd be dead.

I don’t really expect this to be TP, but remember that Frost appears to have transferred his ownership of TP to Lynch (Frost is no longer a corporate officer of Twin Peaks Productions as of the most recent filings). So there is a possibility that it would happen without him.
I said a lot of this already in the Season 4 speculation thread, but is it possible Lynch and Frost wrote the script and/or a treatment or even just a bunch of ideas and Frost is taking a hands-off approach and leaving it to Lynch to actually film/produce the show with an executive producer credit but no direct involvement and/or Frost didn't write any of it and has given Lynch the permission to continue as he sees fit but with executive producer credit and/or he did write some or all of it then they had a quarrel and now he's letting Lynch proceed - or some combination/variation on any of that. In that case Frost could say he's not involved and it could still be TP.

But I am starting to (reluctantly) lean to it not being more TP based on other bits and pieces.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I would imagine that if Frost truly walked away from TP Productions (which is what it looks like), he probably completely washed his hands of whatever (if anything) is happening and wants nothing to do with it, for whatever reasons. I’m guessing he got a pretty big buyout from Lynch. Maybe it’s as simple as him just wanting the money as a nest egg (like how Dylan and other songwriters were recently selling their whole catalogues, Dylan after having spent his career insisting on keeping the rights for himself). Who knows. But it doesn’t sound like he’d have any credit/involvement in this.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm I would imagine that if Frost truly walked away from TP Productions (which is what it looks like), he probably completely washed his hands of whatever (if anything) is happening and wants nothing to do with it, for whatever reasons. I’m guessing he got a pretty big buyout from Lynch. Maybe it’s as simple as him just wanting the money as a nest egg (like how Dylan and other songwriters were recently selling their whole catalogues, Dylan after having spent his career insisting on keeping the rights for himself). Who knows. But it doesn’t sound like he’d have any credit/involvement in this.
I'm not sure I was fully aware of this fact until your most recent post. I remember us all discussing something along these lines a while back, but not sure I realised he'd fully walked away (or at least isn't on any of the paperwork). Interesting. If anything that would seem to indicate the new show is TP or TP-related/adjacent then. LOL, just when I was starting to swing the other way, I feel pulled back!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mark’s son Travis is also probably about college aged now. (I found an interview with Mark from 2016 that mentions Travis attending a fancy prep school in Ojai.) Could be that maybe Mark wanted some tuition cash and asked David to buy him out. Again, who knows. I guess he could cowrite/produce without having ownership of the property, but my instinct is to take him at his word that he’s not involved.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Pasted some of the above comments across into the Season 4 thread as feels more relevant there.
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 pm Mark’s son Travis is also probably about college aged now. (I found an interview with Mark from 2016 that mentions Travis attending a fancy prep school in Ojai.) Could be that maybe Mark wanted some tuition cash and asked David to buy him out. Again, who knows. I guess he could cowrite/produce without having ownership of the property, but my instinct is to take him at his word that he’s not involved.
Hmmm, it's certainly interesting - I would have thought Showtime/ABC/CBS might have bought him (and offered to buy Lynch out) as they'd have more cash. But maybe something like that went down with the new (presumably Netflix) deal. Maybe that was part of the quoted 85 million budget or whatever it was - a chunck to buy MF out. I'm not sure Lynch could have otherwise. It might have been part of the deal. Maybe he gets to keep an EP credit along with a created by or something. Maybe MF felt that after two books he had said all he wanted to about TP and was content to let Lynch go further down the rabbit hole especially if he disagreed with the direction/didn't connect with Lynch's vision/or simply didn't feel compelled to continue. (Such as not fully understanding Lynch incorporating the Richard/Lynda thing into Part 18, as we were discussing earlier, but not objecting to it either.)

How did it work with FWWM - I know he was off working on something else (Storyville or was that Season 2?) but presumably he must have gotten some proceeds from the movie, even if it didn't make much at the box office, and agreed to step aside and let Lynch write/direct.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He got a ceremonial EP credit on FWWM because he was the co-owner of the property. I’m sure he got a piece of the profits as well for the same reason.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, thats why I doubt Unrecorded is TP. I would think ceremonial EP credit on a high profile project with a legendary director is still enticing to get some salary/proceeds, unless he really hated the scripts and concept DL came up with a burning vengeance or something.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

He could still be getting some of those things though - if it's all part of the deal with Netflix. An EP and co-creator credit and being bought out by Lynch or deciding to step away himself but with some other financial and creative conditions agreed to.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Let's continue this discussion about Lynch/Frost and the new show - whether TP or not - over at the main "Season 4 or is it over after this?" thread as I've pasted all our comments across to there lol. It fits here but I think it fits even better over there and others are weighing in more there.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... start=4020