Alt.Tv.TwinPeaks - Twin Peaks Usenet Archive

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Alt.Tv.TwinPeaks - Twin Peaks Usenet Archive

Post by Jonah »

A thread to discuss the link found by Mr. Reindeer:

https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Alt.Tv.TwinPeaks - Twin Peaks Usenet Archive

Post by Jonah »

A couple of comments on Episode 7:

" Cooper is NOT dead!
Cooper, as would any FBI agent, wore a bulletproof vest
before entering upon his undercover mission to One Eyed Jacks.
He would have put it on underneath the tux shirt. Since he was
still wearing the tux when he returned to the hotel, we can
assume he was still wearing the vest. Thus the shots will be
ineffective. Cooper lives! To be continued . . . ."

-

" Twin Peaks _WILL_ be renewed (but should we be happy?)
> > Bessie Clary, who has been in charge of coordinating the various
> > directors of this season's episodes, will be in charge of the new
> > direction Twin Peaks will be taking next season. "We envision a more
> > encapsulated version of Twin Peaks -- with a single mystery being raised
> > and solved each show. Of course the strange elements will still be
> > there: Lucy's remarks and Cooper's personality -- but these will take
> > backstage to a more easily digestible plot."

I love how that was considered to be a plan for Season 2 - when arguably the plot got much more complex, not to mention paranormal! (I believe a similar thing was floated by the writers of LOST to trick the network into buying the show, that every episode would be self-contained, they even created a document to back up their claims.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’m guessing that second one was intended as a gag? I’m not aware of any Bessie Clary working on the show, let alone being in charge of the direction. However, a character by that name appears in Otto Preminger’s ‘Laura’ (a film which inspired Waldo and Lydecker’s names in season 1, as well as of course Laura herself).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh, ha! I thought it was real. Second reference to "Laura" I've seen today (though I've already seen it and knew it was an influence) - they were also discussing that movie on reddit as one reason there were votes on the poll saying Laura might still be alive/introduction of Maddie. I remember those theories too. That Maddie was really Laura.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Laura is a great film noir (I am a fan of the genre). I went into it without even thinking about Twin Peaks, and only during the film started picking up the names, and other similarities... I love it when things like this happen.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BTW, it seems like Scott Frost was in contact with some people in the fandom, and they would occasionally post tidbits from him (such as reassuring them after Episode 4 that it was in his view the weakest episode of the season...I love Episode 4!).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

According to Wikipedia, "Hunter's direction of "Episode 4" was influenced by the techniques of Otto Preminger." So far everything in this thread keeps coming back to Laura lol.

Although, again according to Wikipedia, it was different movie he drew influence from for this episode: "Hunter's direction in some scenes was inspired by Otto Preminger's work on the 1945 film noir Fallen Angel. That film featured several scenes shot in tight spaces with a very small mise en scène; Hunter found himself using several of Preminger's techniques to make the most out of several of the episode's smaller sets such as the RR Diner. Several scenes in the episode were also shot using a split diopter lens, allowing for a greater depth of field. For example, a scene featuring Sherilyn Fenn and Richard Beymer talking had the actors at either side of a room; the split diopter lens allowed for both of them to still be in sharp focus. The episode ends with a shot featuring a Dutch angle; Hunter was the only director on the series who Frost and Lynch allowed to use this shot, which was otherwise forbidden."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I believe all that info is taken from Hunter’s audio commentary from the season 1 Artisan DVD set. I know Lynch hates those commentaries, but they’re well worth tracking down if you can find a set for a reasonable price.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have them somewhere, probably listened to them back in the day but not sure. I have most my physical media in storage or boxed away somewhere - tend to mainly try to track things down online/virtually now.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Very early post from a guy who is apparently related to Scott Frost somehow through marriage. He would post “insider” info from Scott occasionally. Possibly the first public reference to Lynch’s minimal involvement in S1 (with the source—presumably Scott—saying that Lynch was only involved in the Pilot and E2 due to the filming of W@H): https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep02/1990042 ... lks-156366

This is a funny one. Evidently, proper creation of a new group on Usenet involved discussion on alt.config. Here, the administrators seem rather vexed that the only discussion was a Dale Cooper-esque “rambling,” and it seems the group came close to deletion! https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep01/1990041 ... aks-156634
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Also interesting that people were already aware of the “European ending” right away, although not necessarily the content of it: https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep01/1990041 ... ode-156663

A Norwegian (!!) gives a pretty OK summing-up of it (although he refers to Mike as “Bob” and gets some other stuff wrong): https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep01/1990041 ... ode-156679

So that stuff was out there in the Internet consciousness before Episode 2 even aired (although it weirdly appears that pretty much everyone either missed/ignored/didn’t credit this post...I haven’t found any subsequent references to it).
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I've never noticed this before. Episode 28.
https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep28/1991061 ... ___-148626
The sound Ben hears is quite similar in timbre to what we hear in the return, albeit higher in pitch, it's also very different in tone to what the other characters hear when their hands start shaking. Like the OP says, it's indeed highly similar to sounds we hear around supernatural/surreal occurrences throughout the series. I did however, think it was striking that Ben hears it distinctively, in the great Northern. I have a feeling either F or L picked up on that. IIRC Lynch praised Peyton (maybe Engels too) for his idea of the inhabitants becoming physically aware of the nearing events, with the hand shaking and all.

Anyone care to look it up, it's around 25 minutes in.
Last edited by Soolsma on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 pm Also interesting that people were already aware of the “European ending” right away, although not necessarily the content of it: https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep01/1990041 ... ode-156663
"Lynch said, in response to speculation about who the American tv series will
reveal as the killer, that no murderer will necessarily be identified, although
the possibility does exist."

- Interesting that this was known. I thought Lynch not wanting to reveal the kilter was only known to the public after the fact. So while watching fans were aware the kilter might never be identified, yet they were also growing tired of it not being revealed. I wonder if Lynch saying it might never happen publicly contributed to the backlash/impatience. E.g., people got fed up with Lost even though they kept promising answers would be revealed. That didn't necessarily end up being the case (at least not fully - it's debatable), but they did keep claiming all the answers would be known, but if they had said there might never be restitution, people would have gotten even more fed up.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Overall, it seems the reaction to FWWM in the online fandom at least was refreshingly positive right out of the gate. There were of course some naysayers. Here’s someone who liked the film replying to a pretty shockingly misogynistic take on Sheryl’s performance:
https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/fwwm/199209 ... me-144123

The key sentence for me is, “On the whole, I thought her acting job was pretty wretched, and the only real reccommendation [sic] I could give is, 'go see the movie if you want to see Sheryl Lee's breasts'.”

Wow. Just...wow.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Scott Frost giving his relative the low-down on FWWM, three days after E29 aired: https://alttvtwinpeaks.com/ep28/1991061 ... ...-148201