What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: What is your Twin Peaks unpopular opinion?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am
Anyway, I thought of this the other day and was going to ask "Am I the only one who..." which I suppose means that I view this as an unpopular opinion, so here goes: While I think that the Red Room antics of Episode 29 cannot be improved upon, I feel like I'm the only one who, overall, prefers the new look of The Red Room in The Return to that of the Original Series. Am I the only one?
Hmm. I think they each serve their particular iteration of the story well. But I do prefer the more claustrophobic original. Although I can see why the more expansive version in TR is potentially more terrifying to self-professed agoraphobe Lynch.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

LateReg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 amAnyway, I thought of this the other day and was going to ask "Am I the only one who..." which I suppose means that I view this as an unpopular opinion, so here goes: While I think that the Red Room antics of Episode 29 cannot be improved upon, I feel like I'm the only one who, overall, prefers the new look of The Red Room in The Return to that of the Original Series. Am I the only one?
Ooh, I think we have a thread winner here. I have never seen someone with this opinion.

But nope, because I agree! I think the artificial look really heightens the particular atmosphere the Return is going for, the Red Room this time around seems unreal in an almost cyberized way, and I think the scratched velvet looks really beautiful, especially in the intro sequence. When I look back at the old red room I find myself missing the solidity, the curtains look kind of drab and thin and washed out, it's less 'grand' and maybe even verges on DIY for what is supposed to be an ethereal place. I think the lighting was brilliant of course.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

madeleineferguson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am Moira Kelly was great as Donna. She was closer to Harriet Hayward's brand of innocence and intelligence than LFB's Donna, and I loved her take on the character.
I'd love to see Harriet come back too. And more of Gersten. And EIleen. Basically, as much of the Hayward clan as possible.
AXX°N N. wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am It would have been interesting to see both Kelly and LFB simultaneously, sort of like how Roseanne back in the day played around and poked fun at having two Beckies, and introduced a character in the reboot so Sarah Chalke could stay around.
I was thinking about this earlier. They could either play around with two Donnas or if they ever got LFB back (unlikely) have Moira be a new character. Would be great. But if they never get LFB back, I really think they should ask Moira.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

AXX°N N. wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 am
LateReg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 amAnyway, I thought of this the other day and was going to ask "Am I the only one who..." which I suppose means that I view this as an unpopular opinion, so here goes: While I think that the Red Room antics of Episode 29 cannot be improved upon, I feel like I'm the only one who, overall, prefers the new look of The Red Room in The Return to that of the Original Series. Am I the only one?
Ooh, I think we have a thread winner here. I have never seen someone with this opinion.

But nope, because I agree! I think the artificial look really heightens the particular atmosphere the Return is going for, the Red Room this time around seems unreal in an almost cyberized way, and I think the scratched velvet looks really beautiful, especially in the intro sequence. When I look back at the old red room I find myself missing the solidity, the curtains look kind of drab and thin and washed out, it's less 'grand' and maybe even verges on DIY for what is supposed to be an ethereal place. I think the lighting was brilliant of course.
Regarding the red room, I can see why you might think the original looks more drab or DIY - but I think the new one is too bright and video gameish. I mean, it does sort of work in its own disorientating way. I suppose I like them both to an extent, though I vastly prefer the original - it seemed much more toned down, yet much eerier to me as a result, like this creepy dim little place you could enter from the woods that's surreal and jazz-like and yet another dimension. The new one is much more assaulting on the senses, which does work too, but it doesn't have that same eerie subtlety. As it's a supernatural place, I guess it can morph and change.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 amRegarding the red room, I can see why you might think the original looks more drab or DIY - but I think the new one is too bright and video gamish. I mean, it does sort of work in its own disorientating way. I suppose I like them both to an extent, though I vastly prefer the original - it seemed much more toned down, yet much eerier to me as a result, like this creepy dim little place you could enter from the woods that's surreal and jazz-like and yet another dimension. The new one is much more assaulting on the senses, which does work too, but it doesn't have that same eerie suitableness. As it's a supernatural place, I guess it can morph and change.
I think your description is apt, I do really like that tone from the old one, it feels sinister in the way that an alleyway can, or the same way as Jacques' cabin.

The video gameyness is actually a plus for me, much in the same way as the bizarrely wonky cgi of the photo of Sam & Tracey after the Experiment mauls them. It looks like something right out of ps2 Silent Hill, which I adore.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

Twin Peaks started off great with the pilot episode and slowly gets worse and worse until we get to the return where it's confirmed that Lynch/Frost really don't/ didn't know what made Twin Peaks great in the first place.
Also: Gordon Cole was always a horrible addition.
A salamander spit donuts.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I get where you're coming from Sugarhigh. The pilot is the best 2 hours of TV ever made in my opinion.

I've still never seen anything like it. The girl running in the courtyard, the principal breaking down on the PA system, the mill closing down for the day, and the argument between Catherine and Josie about losing profits, it's all really mind boggling. and so accurate.

I remember a kid being killed when I was in High School, and the reaction was just like that. I saw this girl crying in the hallway uncontrollably and I knew someone musta died.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sugarhigh wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am Twin Peaks started off great with the pilot episode and slowly gets worse and worse until we get to the return where it's confirmed that Lynch/Frost really don't/ didn't know what made Twin Peaks great in the first place.
Also: Gordon Cole was always a horrible addition.
That is possibly the best genuinely unpopular opinion! I’m impressed. I can see where you’re coming from though: in the Pilot, it really does feel like a whole damn town of mill workers and high school principals and hospital workers that rapidly shrinks to an incestuous sitcom-style cast with weekly guest stars. The Pilot really does have its own realistic feel that has never been replicated.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I thought Nanni Moretti's film 'The Son's Room' came sorta close to the pilot , the family that just can't get over the loss, and the Tom Wilkenson and Sissy Spacek performances in 'In the Bedroom' were spot-on with the grieving and the anger on top of it with the killer getting off.

and to some extent, Kieslowski's Blue, the long term grief, and some of Carrie Coon's performance in The Leftovers, that's really strong stuff.

But that TP pilot is really unique. and I love the line when Cooper says "that guy's a psychiatrist ?". accurate too.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

People might also be interested in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3523
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:09 pm People might also be interested in this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3523
Haha, realizing that I said almost literally the same thing about the Pilot in the same words in this thread, four years ago!! God, where did the time go.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

While reading through the thread that Soolsma reminded us of, Reindeer commented on BOB and how his climbing over the couch moment at the end of episode 9 still scares him after three dozen rewatches. Everybody talks about that couch scene - it's a shoe-in for finishing near the top of lists of the scariest TV moments ever, and I don't doubt that sequence at all. But my likely unpopular opinion is that the sequence that concludes episode 8 - Ronette waking/dreaming and seeing BOB and all that in the train car - is actually a far more viscerally terrifying moment that has almost never failed to produce actual chills. I know there's a creeping terror to the couch scene and deeper psychological, meta-implications - such as BOB coming straight through the TV and into the TV viewer's living room - but it's, notably, PG compared to Ronette's vision, which I find absolutely terrifying on a primal, R-Rated level that truly comes out of nowhere and really shouldn't have been on TV, and predates the episode 29 and FWWM screaming viscera a whole year in advance. It just feels like THE MOMENT to me.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:02 pm While reading through the thread that Soolsma reminded us of, Reindeer commented on BOB and how his climbing over the couch moment at the end of episode 9 still scares him after three dozen rewatches. Everybody talks about that couch scene - it's a shoe-in for finishing near the top of lists of the scariest TV moments ever, and I don't doubt that sequence at all. But my likely unpopular opinion is that the sequence that concludes episode 8 - Ronette waking/dreaming and seeing BOB and all that in the train car - is actually a far more viscerally terrifying moment that has almost never failed to produce actual chills. I know there's a creeping terror to the couch scene and deeper psychological, meta-implications - such as BOB coming straight through the TV and into the TV viewer's living room - but it's, notably, PG compared to Ronette's vision, which I find absolutely terrifying on a primal, R-Rated level that truly comes out of nowhere and really shouldn't have been on TV, and predates the episode 29 and FWWM screaming viscera a whole year in advance. It just feels like THE MOMENT to me.
Oh yeah, I do not disagree at all. I don’t know how I didn’t mention this when I made that post, but Silva in the Episode 8 scene is of course incredible. I guess I tend to credit the E8 scene more to Lynch and editing (as well as Sheryl’s incredible reaction shots) since it’s so chopped-up, whereas the couch scene is just Frank killing it on a single in-frame take. But yes, I dare anyone to freeze frame Bob in the E8 sequence and not have nightmares. BTW, as in FWWM, he appears to be stabbing her (as opposed to hitting her with a hammer). Silva’s acting driving the knife (?) downward in those brief cuts is chilling.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

madeleineferguson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am Moira Kelly was great as Donna. She was closer to Harriet Hayward's brand of innocence and intelligence than LFB's Donna, and I loved her take on the character.
My sentiments exactly. Even though I respect LFB, and think she was good in the role and efficiently made the character hers, when I watch Fire Walk with Me, I realize that Moira Kelly had a certain innocence which made her relationship with the terribly troubled Laura so much more poignant. I love it when Laura gets upset because Donna wants to be more like her, which I wouldn't experience the same way if LFB was in Moira Kelly's place instead.

I also though of another opinion of mine which might turn out to be unpopular: I have problems with the section of Part 8 of The Return where Laura and BOB are made into some kind of cosmic forces of good and evil. It feels like both a retcon and too much fantasy for me. I liked it a lot more when BOB was a metaphor for the evil that people do, and Laura just a troubled high school girl put in a horrible place by her own father and other people around her who were taking advantage of her. I find that much more interesting than whatever happened in Part 8.

And while we are already here, as someone already mentioned, I also do not like that Sarah seemingly became a vessel for Judy. I can accept it if I look at Twin Peaks as a giant confrontation with mother (Sarah / Judy) and father (Leland / BOB) figures, but once again it feels like a retcon, and I would prefer it if they kept everything about Sarah's scenes in The Return as they are - I loved her scenes - minus the Judy insinuation, i.e. the scene in the bar when she takes her face off and bites the abusive guy who was bothering her... Besides the Judy aspect, I actually like her character in The Return more than in the original series.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree. I think the whole backstory is kind of cosmic mumbo jumbo. I do like some of it, relating to The Fireman, but most of it I just ignore as metaphor. It was definitely a retcon imo. Sarah should have been left alone, perhaps open to certain forces due to her already established psychic "spookiness", her grief, and/or the painting Laura left behind in the house - those things could have left her susceptible to knowing things/seeing things or having visitors (when she first said "men are coming" there was a theory that the woodsmen would come through the painting in the house). I think making her the villain or the host of the villain was unnecessary. It also put too much of the evil firmly in the Palmer house - via her and Leland, and Laura as some sort of force to reckon with them, when there was already evil in others in the town. It just felt unnecessary, so I view it as high metaphor for the most part.