Peaks Fans Top 15 Movies

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 15 Movies

Post by BOB1 »

Well, I am this strange kind of Starwars freak that was raised with the original trilogy and yet has no issues with either prequels nor sequels... I just love it!

I will gather my thoughts on Rio Bravo and try to come up with a bunch of conclusions...
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

I can't bring myself to rank them, but (limiting myself to one film per director) I'd pick:

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
Shanghai Express
Black Narcissus
Rear Window
The Night of the Hunter
The Apartment (1960)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Céline and Julie Go Boating
Stalker (1979)
Paris, Texas
Stop Making Sense
Velvet Goldmine
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Mulholland Drive
Miami Vice (2006)
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

FWWM
Mulholland Drive
Between Two Worlds (1944)
The Florida Project
Lovely Bones
The Godfather
2001: A Space Odyssey
Lone Star (1996)
The Sixth Sense
L.A. Confidential
The Firm (1993)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1969)
Scarface (1983)
Fearless (1993)
How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

If I had to reduce it to 15 (one per director), it would look something like this:

Mulholland Dr. (Lynch)
Persona (Bergman)
Stalker (Tarkovsky)
Come and See (Klimov)
A Brighter Summer Day (Yang)
Late Spring (Ozu)
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Fassbinder)
L'avventura (Antonioni)
Videodrome (Cronenberg)
Memories of Murder (Bong)
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Herzog)
Apocalpyse Now (Coppola)
Viridiana (Buñuel)
Blade Runner (Scott)
Beau travail (Denis)

If anybody cares what I think of these movies in more detail, the link is the signature below. ;)
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

djerdap wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:34 am If anybody cares what I think of these movies in more detail, the link is the signature below. ;)
I have checked out the link you provided, and I have to say I'm impressed. You list some great films, but the list of your favourite books is even more interesting. I have read just some of those titles (The Brothers Karamazov, for example, is one of my favourites), and plan to read many of them, but you have definitely listed some real heavyweights. As a writer and a former student of comparative literature, once again, I have to say I'm impressed. (You also included Miroslav Krleža and Danilo Kiš, for which you would get extra points in my part of the world :wink:) I will share the link with some friends of mine who will be very interested.

Furthermore, to completely derail this thread, what do you think of authors like Marcel Proust, Samuel Beckett, Plato, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Søren Kierkegaard?
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Inthe12thhouse

Post by Inthe12thhouse »

Great reading through everyone's lists. Here are 15 in a random order:

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch)
Fire Walk With Me (David Lynch)
Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick)
The Fall of the House Usher (Jean Epstein)
Eraserhead (David Lynch)
Vampyre (Carl Theodor Dryer)
12 Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)
The Thief of Bagdad (Michael Powell et al.)
The Fearless Vampire Killers (Roman Polanski)
Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick)
Dracula (Tod Browning)
Mark of the Vampire (Tod Browning)
Metropolis (Fritz Lang)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau)
The Wolf Man (George Waggner)
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:38 am
djerdap wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:34 am If anybody cares what I think of these movies in more detail, the link is the signature below. ;)
I have checked out the link you provided, and I have to say I'm impressed. You list some great films, but the list of your favourite books is even more interesting. I have read just some of those titles (The Brothers Karamazov, for example, is one of my favourites), and plan to read many of them, but you have definitely listed some real heavyweights. As a writer and a former student of comparative literature, once again, I have to say I'm impressed. (You also included Miroslav Krleža and Danilo Kiš, for which you would get extra points in my part of the world :wink:) I will share the link with some friends of mine who will be very interested.

Furthermore, to completely derail this thread, what do you think of authors like Marcel Proust, Samuel Beckett, Plato, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Søren Kierkegaard?
Thanks. It's not a monetized blog, anyone can take a look if interested, there's also a short analysis of Twin Peaks (all three seasons) in there.

About the writers you've listed, I have to say that for some - I appreciate them more than I've actually enjoyed reading them, but for some it was already a long time ago and I should check them again. Further details in PM!
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Zodiac
3. The Dark Knight
4. Wild Tales
5. Nocturnal Animals
6. Videodrome
7. Midnight Run
8. The Departed
9. The Naked Gun
10. AI (2001)
11. Se7en
12. Terminator 2
13. Incendies
14. Mad Max Fury Road
15. The thing

I kinda wanted to include most of the genres . Didn’t want to limit to a particular genre or style of filmmaking
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

krishnanspace wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:21 pm 1. Mulholland Drive
2. Zodiac
3. The Dark Knight
4. Wild Tales
5. Nocturnal Animals
6. Videodrome
7. Midnight Run
8. The Departed
9. The Naked Gun
10. AI (2001)
11. Se7en
12. Terminator 2
13. Incendies
14. Mad Max Fury Road
15. The thing

I kinda wanted to include most of the genres . Didn’t want to limit to a particular genre or style of filmmaking
Apart from these, my guilty pleasure is Transformers. They may be bad movies but they have the best scores, I’ve ever heard in a film. Steve Jablonsky is an amazing composer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cbxNyoYyGLE&feature=share

https://youtu.be/HqvPYenEB8A

All the tracks from all the movies are amazing. These are just 2 of them
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Vier Sieben wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:19 pm I can't bring myself to rank them, but (limiting myself to one film per director) I'd pick:

Shanghai Express
Black Narcissus
Rear Window
The Night of the Hunter
The Apartment (1960)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Stalker (1979)
Paris, Texas
Stop Making Sense
Velvet Goldmine
Mulholland Drive
Miami Vice (2006)
great list, I havent seen the 2006 version of Miami Vice, will have to one of these days.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:24 pm
Vier Sieben wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:19 pm I can't bring myself to rank them, but (limiting myself to one film per director) I'd pick:

Shanghai Express
Black Narcissus
Rear Window
The Night of the Hunter
The Apartment (1960)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Stalker (1979)
Paris, Texas
Stop Making Sense
Velvet Goldmine
Mulholland Drive
Miami Vice (2006)
great list, I havent seen the 2006 version of Miami Vice, will have to one of these days.
Miami Vice is one of my personal favorites as well. And just an FYI for anyone interested, the most-seen cut of the film had become the director's cut, as that is the one that is on Blu-ray. However, the leaner, more evocative theatrical cut was recently sneakily released without fanfare as a double feature with Peter Berg's The Kingdom in the US. I'm glad to finally have the original theatrical cut on Blu-ray.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

LateReg wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:31 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:24 pm

Shanghai Express
Black Narcissus
Rear Window
The Night of the Hunter
The Apartment (1960)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Stalker (1979)
Paris, Texas
Stop Making Sense
Velvet Goldmine
Mulholland Drive
Miami Vice (2006)
Miami Vice is one of my personal favorites as well. And just an FYI for anyone interested, the most-seen cut of the film had become the director's cut, as that is the one that is on Blu-ray. However, the leaner, more evocative theatrical cut was recently sneakily released without fanfare as a double feature with Peter Berg's The Kingdom in the US. I'm glad to finally have the original theatrical cut on Blu-ray.
Same here, love Miami Vice. It's my favorite from Mann, really underappreciated. Cool that there's several people in this thread already who like it. I've only ever seen the Director's Cut, though. The theatrical starts with a cold open in the club, right? I don't know about any other differences, but I gotta say, I really like the boat race intro. Going to have to give it a watch at some point.

I think it's also one of my two most favorite digitally shot films, incidentally both released the same year. Can you guess the other one? ;)
I'll see you in the trees
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rainwater wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:25 am
Same here, love Miami Vice. It's my favorite from Mann, really underappreciated. Cool that there's several people in this thread already who like it. I've only ever seen the Director's Cut, though. The theatrical starts with a cold open in the club, right? I don't know about any other differences, but I gotta say, I really like the boat race intro. Going to have to give it a watch at some point.

I think it's also one of my two most favorite digitally shot films, incidentally both released the same year. Can you guess the other one? ;)
Haha, I also think of Miami Vice and Inland Empire as being the, ahem, twin peaks of the digital movement in the 2000s.

Yes, cold open, throws you right into it. There's a bit here and there totalling 7 minutes that is missing. And the score is more often utilized (for example, during the climax the moody score is used in the theatrical while the Phil Collins cover is used in the Director's cut).
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

LateReg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:53 am
Rainwater wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:25 am

Haha, I also think of Miami Vice and Inland Empire as being the, ahem, twin peaks of the digital movement in the 2000s.

Yes, cold open, throws you right into it. There's a bit here and there totalling 7 minutes that is missing. And the score is more often utilized (for example, during the climax the moody score is used in the theatrical while the Phil Collins cover is used in the Director's cut).
Yup, the full on blast of the cold open and, frankly, the absence of the unfortunate Collins cover during the pivotal shootout are a big part of why I prefer the theatrical cut. I also think the in media res opening works well paired with the relatively inconclusive ending. It gives you the feeling of a "continuing story," just with the other chapters taking place off screen.

And ditto to the Lynch synchronicity. While I can't imagine many copying the specific look of INLAND EMPIRE, it's hard not to look at the expressionistic way the two films use video technology and see them as something of a "road not taken" for American cinema.
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 am I liked The Boss of it All. I thought it was very funny.
I have finally seen Direktøren for det hele - and I loved it. I have now seen all of Lars von Trier's feature films, except the documentary The Five Obstructions, and it seems that, at least for me, he just doesn't miss. I didn't have big expectations when I sat down to watch this film, but it ended up being interesting from start to finish, and the humor was just my cup of tea. I loved the main character, Kristoffer, his obsession with Antonio Stavro Gambini, and especially the ending (von Trier almost always has great endings). The absurdness of it all was in the vein of something I might have attempted to write back when I was more into dark comedy - but I would have failed miserably compared to von Trier's masterful comic timing. (It also reminded me of the American version of The Office.)

I would recommend Direktøren for det hele to everyone. It's like a lighter and maybe even funnier counterpart of Idioterne (even though I find that film superior).

It's interesting how both Manderlay and Direktøren for det hele seem to be considered as his lesser works, but they ended up being among my favourites.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)