How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by Cappy »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm I think one difference between a sequel in 1992 and 2017 is the internet/streaming / DVD/ blu ray to catch up.

I was always getting lost and confused in the 90's with 'continuing stories', I remember the dominion war on Star Trek: Deep Space 9, whenever I tuned in, I was lost with what was what.
Love DS9 now, but it felt impenetrable to me back in the 90s. Especially with its syndication times always being really odd hours (11pm Sunday night, or the middle of the day on Sunday). It wasn't until 2005 or so that I was really able to get into it.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: How would a Twin Peaks movie in 1992 have fared if it was a direct sequel Instead of a prequel?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I like DS9 on Netflix. The binge watching experience helps. I like all the unrequited love stuff with Odo and Kira, and the Dominion arc made so easy to follow when you can take charge and rewind episodes whenever you lose track or haven't watched in a while.

I was totally lost in the 90's and unable to follow it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:06 pm
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm Aren’t you referring to the Pilot there? I thought we were discussing FWWM/TMP.

The “European ending” definitely uses a different set. I think all that stuff was shot on stages in CA (the hospital basement I believe was a practical location also in CA). I don’t believe Lynch conceived of that sequence until after the Washington shoot had ended.
I remember seeing an interview with Al Strobel - where he said after he shot the elevator stuff up in WA for the pilot, Lynch told him he might need him again in the next couple of days, so I thought maybe the basement stuff was tagged on to the WA shoot. but people are giving these interviews decades later, and he mighta been called to come down to LA to do it.
Man, I wish I could remember where I read/heard that it was done in California. I have a vague recollection that they shot it in the basement of a school maybe? Even the wonderful TP Locations Blog doesn’t seem to have an article on that sequence.

BTW Jonah, I looked at the hotel room scene in TMP. It looks pretty identical to the series to my eye.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I think a sequel movie would have fared much better. Bad Coop reveal was one of the most brutal cliffhangers ever. I think hat's the main thing that people wanted to see addressed, and part of why a lot of people were upset by the film. I don't know if they'd have kept bad Cooper for an entire film, but even if they did, we'd still surely see lots of good Coop trying to escape the lodge, and very possibly succeeding. (That is if Kyle would have agreed to the much larger role.)

Long before the Return was planned, Lynch did say about the "write it in your diary" scene with Annie and Laura, that if they'd continued the story, he had intended for the page to be found, but that the story didn't continue. (I can't remember if he said that it didn't continue because the film didn't fare well.) So, Lynch definitely had some thoughts about a possible continuation, and had set some things up for that possibility. I think the Cooper bathroom and Annie hospital scenes might have been cut so that they wouldn't distract from Laura's story and the powerful ending with Laura and Coop and the angel.

As far as identifying Cooper's room, the dimensions and wood grain of the boards on the wall are a good indicator. This is how you can see that the Great Northern hallways that are supposed to be on different floors are the exact same hallway. Part of Cooper's room was recreated for the John Malkovich TM charity promo, Psychogenic Fugue. They did a good job, but if you do a side-by-side comparison, it's very easy to spot the differences.

JMDC.jpg
JMDC.jpg (345.71 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:31 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:06 pm
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm .

BTW Jonah, I looked at the hotel room scene in TMP. It looks pretty identical to the series to my eye.

Yeah - The Cooper Bedroom in TMP looks like the Balboa studios setup - also used in that Tales from the Crypt episode probably shot in 1991
around that time.

I would think the hospital stuff for the european ending would have to be CA.

Assuming they shot the european ending just after the pilot, did the Cooper bedroom get built just for that ?
or was that a woody location they found.
If the Red Room was intially contructed at Balboa for the european ending, I guess they coulda thrown together his bedroom on a stage for that
little bit where he's on the phone et all.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t think they had the Balboa studio yet on the Pilot — that only happened when they got the season pickup. I think the Red Room, the hotel room etc. were shot at some other studio.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Hard to define success and what 'fared well' in Lynch land.

I feel like even if a direct sequel movie was done in 1992, and it was an artistic masterpiece, who knows.

The Straight Story was picked up by Disney, Farnsworth got an Oscar nom, got some of the best reviews of any Lynch film. didn't do much box office, and Lynch and co till this day seem dismayed it wasn't marketed right and opportunities were missed, whenever the subject comes up.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Based on what we talking about on the last page, I found this - someone edited together the last scene of Episode 29 and the scene from The Missing Pieces in Coop's bedroom. The rooms do look pretty identical (so it must have only been the extended European ending to the pilot I was thinking of where the bedroom looked different).

So this begs the question - are we sure this second scene was filmed for FWWM and wasn't filmed during filming for Episode 29? It looks pretty seamless. Is there anything you can identify in the characters clothes or hairstyles or the room itself that shows it was shot over a year later? (Usually there's a couple of telltale signs no matter how careful they were to make it look continuous.) Again, if Lynch recreated it so perfectly, I wonder did he have a longer continuation that this in mind - or what exactly was in his mind. It seems like a lot of recreation just to extend the scene by about a minute and wind up with pretty much the same cliffhanger.

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t think it was a year later. Probably closer to seven months. E29 was likely shot in March (the latest draft of the script online is dated 2/28). I believe principal photography for FWWM was in fall 1991, with them moving to LA for some studio shooting in late October (which was presumably when this was shot).

And yeah, I’m pretty sure this was shot with the film. I think Lynch had the idea of doing the ring scene with Annie in the hospital, and he felt obliged to do something to tie that in with the end of E29 and Cooper so that it wouldn’t seem so random.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It still looks very seamless, almost too seamless. I've seen TV shows pick up a scene 3 months later after summer hiatus which is less than half that time and yet characters had longer hair or there were other subtle little differences. I know Lynch probably has a much stronger eye for detail, but I'm surprised none of the actors had long hair or gained or lost some weight or the wardrobe person made a slight mistake or the set dresser. If anyone spots some telltale little differences, feel free to post them here.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:14 am It still looks very seamless, almost too seamless. I've seen TV shows pick up a scene 3 months later after summer hiatus which is less than half that time and yet characters had longer hair or there were other subtle little differences. I know Lynch probably has a much stronger eye for detail, but I'm surprised none of the actors had long hair or gained or lost some weight or the wardrobe person made a slight mistake or the set dresser. If anyone spots some telltale little differences, feel free to post them here.
If you look at the blood on Kyle’s face between the E29 footage and TMP, it’s a pretty good match, but it appears to have been laid on thicker in E29.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Is the ending to the European vhs version/International pilot online anywhere? I've found a few on Youtube but they all start after the scene with Lucy and Andy and Coop getting the phone call. I have it on DVD and Blu-ray but surprised no online versions exist.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I looked at the extended scene, I could be wrong, but I'm inclined to think it's seven months apart.

they coulda had Kyle shoot this with in a day or so of the Kiefer scene
which I think was listed on a Balboa call sheet, and the red room bits.

The lighting looks maybe a smidgin brighter in the FWWM TMP bathroom than ep 29 bathroom.
Frank Byers I think shot ep 29, and Ron Garcia shot FWWM, but probably same exact lighting gear .
I think season 2 was shot on kodak film, and FWWM was Fuji, but if they had a colorist on TMP to match it to the ep 29,
may not be perceptible.

there's differences in the film scanning for sure.
the TMP footage is sharper, ep 29 is softer. but there was improvements in 2k/4k scans between gold box set restoration
and TMP 2014 so that tracks.

6-7 month differences exist in a lot of movie shoots, when they have to do re-shoots n stuff.
can drive yourself crazy looking for hair length changes.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:58 pm yeah, I like DS9 on Netflix. The binge watching experience helps. I like all the unrequited love stuff with Odo and Kira, and the Dominion arc made so easy to follow when you can take charge and rewind episodes whenever you lose track or haven't watched in a while.

I was totally lost in the 90's and unable to follow it.
Yeah, agreed.

Looking back now though, I can appreciate how DS9 balanced out the bigger episodes that are relevant to the Dominion War arc with the standalone less important episodes (Buffy was good at this too). They could always take a break and do a Jake and Nog or Odo and Kira episode, but it always referenced the ongoing continuity so as not to be jarring. Contrast this with the X-Files, where the "Mythology" eps feel like they take place in an entirely different series by about Season 4.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 am Apparently, Mark Frost preferred the idea of doing a sequel. Would it have done better business? Would it have been better received? I imagine it would have opened with those two scenes from The Missing Pieces of Annie in the hospital and Coop at the mirror. Why did Lynch even shoot those? Was the plan to put them at the end of FWWM as a cliffhanger and then follow them up with another movie or just have them in the movie but not resolve the cliffhanger? A bit confused about why they were shot. Lynch even had Cooper's hotel room and bathroom recreated to continue on from the final scene, but it only continued on by about a minute. I wonder if he had planned more considering he had those sets recreated. Those two scenes that were shot do continue the story but only incrementally.

Overall, what do you think a movie that was a direct sequel to the series and continued the show would have looked like - and how do you think it would have fared both critically and financially?
I personally at the time loved the idea of a prequel. I really wanted to know more about Laura's final days.

I think prequels are more popular than people give them credit for. People love to bitch and moan about prequels....but they keep getting made. The artists wants to explore that space, and the fans are curious.

Remember, Godfather II is half a prequel, and it was universally loved. I never heard anyone say, 'well I didn't WANT to know how Vito Corleone became a crime boss. I wish it would have been a straight sequel'.
Last edited by mtwentz on Wed May 26, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly