Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me Cannes 1992 Story

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me Cannes 1992 Story

Post by dugpa »

Be sure to check out https://www.twinpeaksblog.com/ tomorrow to read an article I did with Steven Miller of Twin Peaks Blog on what it was like to attend the Cannes 1992 Twin Peaks Premiere.
dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me Cannes 1992 Story

Post by dugpa »

Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Quick thoughts:

Bookmarking to read later. Had a quick scan through and never saw most of those photos before! Just amazing photos, lots and lots of them, and even of the fireworks show which I had heard about but don't think I'd seen.

Also had a quick look at the video clip of the standing ovation. Will that help to dispel the booing rumours? There was fairly detailed twitter breakdown about that not that long ago that seemed to indicate the booing did happen, and that even though Engels claimed it didn't he might have been in a part of the theatre where he couldn't hear the booing. (The thread indicated that the booing was ultimately a good thing.) However, that video clip shows only applause.

"an unidentified mysterious woman" looks like Madonna, at least in the first shot. Not in the second one.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

This is such a great story, so well written and researched, and I'm thrilled that we're finally setting the record straight on what happened at Cannes. The myth of FWWM getting booed at the premiere is certainly not what it seems.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I believe that there were some other members here who also refuted the booing, but I also feel I've read about the booing from some writers who were there. But, in addition to multiple screenings, isn't it also possible that the film was both booed and applauded? It's my understanding that that often happens, too.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

That may have happened at the press screening, but clearly not during the premiere as the clip shows.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

amazing read, thank you!