Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by Asterisk »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Does anyone else's set have a weird screen flub/movement immediately after Audrey says "Did you arrest him because of what I said?" in episode 15 (2x08)? Please check for me and let me know. It was very noticeable, like a frame shift. :(
Can anyone help me and check their set? :(
I can probably check mine later today for you.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Does anyone else's set have a weird screen flub/movement immediately after Audrey says "Did you arrest him because of what I said?" in episode 15 (2x08)? Please check for me and let me know. It was very noticeable, like a frame shift. :(
Just checked. I have the same on mine, yes.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Asterisk wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
Just checked. I have the same on mine, yes.
Thank you for checking! Too bad. Yet another defect. :(
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

vicksvapor77 wrote: Thank you for checking! Too bad. Yet another defect. :(
I must receive my set any day now, what defects should I be checking?
Audio sync issues on Missing Pieces, FWWM and Episode 9 (Cooper and Albert during breakfast/Jerry and Ben cheese pig talk), frame shift on Episode 15 (Audrey and Cooper talk), green line on Episode 7 (which scene was that?)
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Check it out, I found David's reflection in a window in the mill during the "two by fours and four by eights" scene. This occurs about 32 minutes and 30 seconds into the pilot.

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Audio sync issues on Missing Pieces, FWWM and Episode 9 (Cooper and Albert during breakfast/Jerry and Ben cheese pig talk), frame shift on Episode 15 (Audrey and Cooper talk), green line on Episode 7 (which scene was that?)
There were minor sync issues on other episodes, just be cognizant of them constantly and you'll notice them (can't remember which episodes, I've watched through 16 now). Those were the worst ones though. Basically the entire first act of episode 9 (up to the first commercial). I didn't notice the green line so I can't verify that one.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
There were minor sync issues on other episodes, just be cognizant of them constantly and you'll notice them (can't remember which episodes, I've watched through 16 now). Those were the worst ones though. Basically the entire first act of episode 9 (up to the first commercial). I didn't notice the green line so I can't verify that one.
Ok, thanks :)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

guildnavigator wrote:Check it out, I found David's reflection in a window in the mill during the "two by fours and four by eights" scene. This occurs about 32 minutes and 30 seconds into the pilot.
I got one too (lower right-hand corner, on the chair - look for the headphone light...jeez, I sound like Lucy):

Maybe he should have made himself the killer. ;)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

And while we're at it, another visual surprise I recently discovered...

Look very closely at Baby Ben in the hook rug flashback...he's holding a cigar.

Perfectly cloaked in shadow, no doubt snuck in under the nose of Standards & Practices. Funny to think censors would have had more of an issue with that than a brutal murder...
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Ross wrote:From what I've heard, Goaz and Ontkean enjoyed their time on TP, but are pretty private guys and generally decline to be inteviewed or talk about TP. Brad Dukes did get Ontkean for his book however.

LFB on the other hand, as we all know, shut the door on TP the day it was cancelled. Never to look back.
That not true, LFB have done some interviews when she have talked about TP, one just after the show cancellation, but also during a chat with fans around 2007 when she have answered mutliples questions about TP and David Lynch, she seem very happy with TP, but also with all the others actors and actresses (including Miss Fenn), also from Dugpa website:

http://dugpa.com/interviews/gold-box-in ... lauzirika/

"We came close to getting Lara Flynn Boyle, but there were scheduling issues. Same with Heather Graham and others."

So that not something she avoid or something like that (not more than the others actors), she seem also don't give lot of interviews except for promote a new movie, so that normal she don't talk alot about TP; there are recently during a festival a cool picture with her, David Lynch and Ray Wise, so she seem happy with her TP days:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-chan ... 05994.html

Except that I extremely disappointed the blue ray don't have the SNL sketch (I find them hilarious) and Georgia coffee commercials, that something I would liked to see more that the same boring (and sadly sometimes hateful) interviews, very sad about the missing audio commentary too.

I have a question, I'm sorry if that have been already answered, but that same interviews from the Gold edition, with Kimmy "second season suck" ? I really would like to know because that will help me if I should buy that or not.

edit: Another question, in this blue ray, what about the old interview with David Duchovny in the second season DVD ? I would like to know if his interview is present (it was my favorite interview from TP cast), it was a big shame that it was cut in the gold edition (never understand why, probably because Lauzirika hate the second season); that this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrr7IFg5Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lkFdN5w_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7GOvrZS54
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

blair wrote:
Ross wrote:From what I've heard, Goaz and Ontkean enjoyed their time on TP, but are pretty private guys and generally decline to be inteviewed or talk about TP. Brad Dukes did get Ontkean for his book however.

LFB on the other hand, as we all know, shut the door on TP the day it was cancelled. Never to look back.
That not true, LFB have done some interviews when she have talked about TP, one just after the show cancellation, but also during a chat with fans around 2007 when she have answered mutliples questions about TP and David Lynch, she seem very happy with TP, but also with all the others actors and actresses (including Miss Fenn), also from Dugpa website:

http://dugpa.com/interviews/gold-box-in ... lauzirika/

"We came close to getting Lara Flynn Boyle, but there were scheduling issues. Same with Heather Graham and others."

So that not something she avoid or something like that (not more than the others actors), she seem also don't give lot of interviews except for promote a new movie, so that normal she don't talk alot about TP; there are recently during a festival a cool picture with her, David Lynch and Ray Wise, so she seem happy with her TP days:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judy-chan ... 05994.html

Except that I extremely disappointed the blue ray don't have the SNL sketch (I find them hilarious) and Georgia coffee commercials, that something I would liked to see more that the same boring (and sadly sometimes hateful) interviews, very sad about the missing audio commentary too.

I have a question, I'm sorry if that have been already answered, but that same interviews from the Gold edition, with Kimmy "second season suck" ? I really would like to know because that will help me if I should buy that or not.

edit: Another question, in this blue ray, what about the old interview with David Duchovny in the second season DVD ? I would like to know if his interview is present (it was my favorite interview from TP cast), it was a big shame that it was cut in the gold edition (never understand why, probably because Lauzirika hate the second season); that this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrr7IFg5Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lkFdN5w_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7GOvrZS54
I believe everything from the Artisan and CBS sets are included - so the Duchovney interview too - except the audio commentaries (Lynch hates the concept but I wish they'd been included as standalone audio presentations or even the original videos, which exist as demonstrated by the Easter eggs). Robertson's comments were in the Secrets From Another Place documentary, so yes, that's in there too. Am I understanding correctly that you'd decide whether or not to be the set based on one stray comment by a cast member that you disagree with? That seems a bit extreme, to put it mildly!
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

The duchovny interview is there in the interview grid section of the blu ray.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Okay, thank you very much LostInTheMovies and guildnavigator.

LostInTheMovies, yes, I understand that you can see my reaction a little extreme, but I'm really tired to have so much negativity about TP, that my favorite show, one of the cast member can dislike the 2nd season, but I wish to have a little more detail about her opinion that "the second season suck", or at least to formulate that respectfully for the fans of the show, I really feel insulted about this kind of comments, specially when you buy something you really like...

I really find the "the Secrets From Another Place" documentary extremely negative, that not something I want for bonus in a blueray, specially when the coffee commercial, the SNL sketch and the audio commentary have been left, but that my opinion, and I can understand that you find that "extreme" to don't buy the blu-ray for that.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

blair wrote:Okay, thank you very much LostInTheMovies and guildnavigator.

LostInTheMovies, yes, I understand that you can see my reaction a little extreme, but I'm really tired to have so much negativity about TP, that my favorite show, one of the cast member can dislike the 2nd season, but I wish to have a little more detail about her opinion that "the second season suck", or at least to formulate that respectfully for the fans of the show, I really feel insulted about this kind of comments, specially when you buy something you really like...

I really find the "the Secrets From Another Place" documentary extremely negative, that not something I want for bonus in a blueray, specially when the coffee commercial, the SNL sketch and the audio commentary have been left, but that my opinion, and I can understand that you find that "extreme" to don't buy the blu-ray for that.
Yeah, I mean I get why you might dislike that particular doc if you're a big fan of the second season - and why you might even feel miffed at shelling out money for a package that denigrates part of what you bought it for. Personally, perhaps because I do feel the show takes a significant dip in quality after the Laura storyline ends, I find the cast/crew's honesty about their feelings and experiences refreshing. Although it might be nice to have more of an alternate point of view in the mix, if one could be found; sort of like how in the Reflections on the Phenomenon doc, some of the actors are uncomfortable with the film while others are very proud of it.

Anyway, there's so much other good stuff on the blu-ray, I'd think that would more than counterbalance it. That said, are you a Fire Walk With Me fan? If you don't like FWWM but you do like the second part of the second season I guess I could see how the overall presentation might not seem worthwhile to you (since most of the new features focus on the film rather than the series). Even then, of course, you get the beautiful Atmospherics (I could watch those in a loop endlessly), the deleted stuff from the series, an extended Slice of Lynch and a beautifully restored HD presentation of the series but yeah, I can see the conflict in that case. If you do like FWWM, of course, buying the Entire Mystery should be a pretty easy decision. Just don't watch the Secrets documentary again! ;)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mark Frost & The Entire Mystery

Ok, here's a question since we're discussing the sensibility that went into the Gold Box & Entire Mystery presentations and Charles de Lauzirika's like/dislike for second season, etc. Why does The Entire Mystery (and the promotional campaign) focus so much more on Lynch than Frost? Is it just a matter of marketing (Lynch being a bigger name), or the emphasis on the film and deleted scenes (which obviously are not Frost's babies)? Did Frost decline an opportunity to take more of a part in the preparation and presentation? Was he offered his own features (Lynch now has two on the set, produced by Lauzirika in 2007 and 2014, while Frost only has the shorter interview with John Thorne & Craig Miller from back in 2001), or the chance to do one with Lynch?

One of the things that interests me most about The Entire Mystery is the extent to which Lynch re-presents Twin Peaks as not just an aborted TV show, but a full story in which Laura Palmer is the central figure and the film is an essential component (a process that arguably began with the Log Lady intros for Bravo in '93). While I applaud this - I feel Laura's mystery was always the heart of Twin Peaks (even when it wasn't supposed to be anymore) and I think the film is an underrated masterpiece - as an unfortunate side effect it seems to sideline Frost as co-author of Twin Peaks. He seems pretty enthusiastic about the release but why wasn't he more hands-on with its production & presentation?