Lost highway and Caché

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Lost highway and Caché

Post by Jonatan Silva »

Have you seen that Lost highway inspired Michael Haneke's Caché. If you pay attention you'll realise that both movies deal with mysterious tapes sent to a terrified couple. I was comparing then and the couples 'house of two movies are really looklike.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Lost highway and Caché

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Jonatan Silva wrote:Have you seen that Lost highway inspired Michael Haneke's Caché. If you pay attention you'll realise that both movies deal with mysterious tapes sent to a terrified couple. I was comparing then and the couples 'house of two movies are really looklike.
The French really seem to love Lynch, including during his 90s "lost years" (true, FWWM was not terribly well-received but I think it's comeback happened faster there than elsewhere and some French leading lights - including Jacques Rivette - were intoxicated by it). Haneke isn't French, of course, but Cache is obviously made in a French context so there's that. Maybe I should say Europeans love Lynch, since Zizek is also an enthusiast (particularly of Lost Highway).

There's also an element of Lost Highway in Ringu, I think, and we all know how the Japanese feel about Lynch. Was there enough time between Lost Highway's Japanese release and Ringu's (which I think was a year later) for that link to be plausible?
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Re: Lost highway and Caché

Post by Jonatan Silva »

I've watched only the US ramake of Ringu... You think the Japonese is better?
Is it scarier than the US?