Calvin Lockhart (Reggie) 1934-2007

Discussion of Wild at Heart

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Calvin Lockhart (Reggie) 1934-2007

Post by Jerry Horne »

NASSAU, Bahamas - Calvin Lockhart, a Bahamian-born actor who won acclaim for his roles as underworld figures in 1970s "blaxploitation" films, has died. He was 72.

Lockhart, who was buried in Nassau on Saturday, died March 29 of complications from a stroke, his wife Jennifer Miles-Lockhart said.

Born the youngest of eight children in 1934, Lockhart moved to New York as a teenager to study engineering but quickly found his calling in the theater.

His first big screen role was in the 1967 film "Joanna," about an interracial romance in London. He was later praised for his portrayal of an unscrupulous preacher in the 1970 Ossie Davis-directed "Cotton Comes to Harlem."

Lockhart also played a disc jockey-turned-sleuth in the 1972 blaxploitation film "Melinda," and the gangster character Biggie Smalls in 1975's "Let's Do It Again."

Lockhart also appeared on the TV series "Dynasty" and had roles in Hollywood hits such as 1988's "Coming to America," starring Eddie Murphy and David Lynch's 1990 cult film "Wild at Heart"

"Although his acting career was of relatively short duration, Calvin's cinematic charisma and talents won him high praise from critics and audiences alike all around the world," Bahamian Prime Minister Perry Christie told the Nassau Guardian newspaper.

Lockhart is survived by his wife and two sons.
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

I sure do remember him as Reggie in Wild at Heart, but I can't remember what his role was about in TPFWWM. The electrician???
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I guess so. Hard to tell because of the mask though.