Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by vicksvapor77 »

As much as I love seeing all the footage, I'm still very sad they didn't think to have anyone doing behind the scenes for the first two weeks of production. I would kill to see footage of the Double R, Ed and Nadine, Dr. Amp, Becky and Steven, Carl Rodd etc. It's really a shame, especially with how many have since passed away. The least they could've done was include a special behind the scenes still gallery dedicated solely to the first few weeks of filming.

Some of my favorite footage was seeing Grace Zabriskie doing the grocery store scene. I know we had a small vignette of her at the Palmer house in the previous Jason S footage but I really expected more footage of her. Very bummed they didn't have any footage of her epic face off scene from Part 14. I wonder if Lynch vetoed footage from certain scenes to keep the mystery alive.

I'm also shocked they apparently didn't have Jason S on set for the multiple consecutive Roadhouse shooting days. I would've loved to see footage from those scenes, especially Audrey's dance, Shelly and James, and the random girl conversations.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Post by mtsi »

That scene with Sarah removing her face was shot inside Smokey Joe's in Snoqualmie. They had that area completely cordoned off as well as the entire restaurant sheeted off in black nylon to prevent light as well as curious eyes. The only thing visible outside was the Elk sign shown in the episode. With the limited space inside, there wouldn't have been anywhere for Jason or anyone, for that matter, to stand. It was crew/actors only.
We live inside a dream.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

mtsi wrote:That scene with Sarah removing her face was shot inside Smokey Joe's in Snoqualmie. They had that area completely cordoned off as well as the entire restaurant sheeted off in black nylon to prevent light as well as curious eyes. The only thing visible outside was the Elk sign shown in the episode. With the limited space inside, there wouldn't have been anywhere for Jason or anyone, for that matter, to stand. It was crew/actors only.
I have reason to believe Jason S was on set that day but I appreciate the assessment.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Still slowly working my way through the new stuff. There’s definitely a little overlap with the prior documentaries, but not a lot.

When Lynch shot the location stuff for the Part 8 1950s material, in October/November 2015, he’s still telling the actors they’re hearing a mechanical voice from the radio, which was the original scripted idea (and the way Mark describes it in TFD). It appears he didn’t come up with the idea for the “This is the water” speech until they were shooting the radio station stuff in the studio months later in April.

Lynch actually makes a practical frog-moth to place on set by the girl’s mouth! (Presumably for reference.) Very very cool. I’d kill to own that!

He also very specifically tells the young girl (Sarah?) actress that she’s listening to a song from 1956, so he already had “My Prayer” in mind during the shoot. Surprised he didn’t play it on set, the way he did Shostakovich on Blue Velvet, etc.

Miguel Ferrer’s umbrella work in the “Gene Kelly” scene (and his “wild lines”) are such a delight. What a talent. What a loss.

It’s funny on the Part 4 kitchen scene when Lynch exasperatedly scolds Kyle for improvising, and Kyle jokes that this stringent approach goes against his training—which he received from Lynch. It does seem like Lynch was more open to playful on-set improvisation back in the Blue Velvet era.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch’s direction of the Ben/Beverly stuff in Part 9 is really riveting, and provides a lot of insight into Lynch’s view of Ben’s character in this new season.

There is also a bit of new footage from Charles de Lauzirika’s Washington shoot, but not much...Part 10 is the first time I’ve seen him credited (presumably for the stuff at Miriam’s trailer and Sylvia’s house).

It looks like they actually had Emily Stofle’s sister playing Ruth’s headless corpse nude in the field! They did a plate without the body and digitally removed the head. I had assumed that was a manufactured body like Briggs’s corpse.

Cori Glazer is so expressive. She’s so much fun to watch reacting to scenes.

There’s a notable absence of the “grouchy Lynch” footage that popped up a few times throughout the original set of documentaries. He’s congenial and positive throughout pretty much all this footage, pretty much confirming that those were a few isolated incidents Jason S. highlighted because they made for compelling viewing.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't have the set yet (waiting to hear about disc fixes tbh) but I'd love to here more re: Ben/Beverly.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I don't have the set yet (waiting to hear about disc fixes tbh) but I'd love to here more re: Ben/Beverly.
During the rehearsal, he hovers just inches from both of them, clearly incredibly moved. It’s really intimate and beautiful. In trying to tweak Beymer’s performance, Lynch explains that Ben really cares about Beverly, and therefore he can’t be with her. Whereas Ben has always chased the girls (Lynch’s words), he can’t degrade Beverly or make things harder for her by drawing her into an affair. Lynch also says that Ben is genuinely confused and sad when he says he doesn’t know why he can’t be with Beverly. I think all this is conveyed in Beymer’s performance, but it’s exciting to hear Lynch express his intent so clearly and articulately.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Thanks!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Cori Glazer is so expressive. She’s so much fun to watch reacting to scenes.
I figured I knew who you were talking about, but in looking her up to confirm, I found out she played the blue-haired lady at the end of Mulholland Dr. Never knew that! She certainly does have a presence behind the scenes.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

For those who were clamoring for more Grade Zabriskie, we do get footage of the supermarket scene. Interestingly, at the end of that shoot, Scott Cameron says they’re going to the diner for a setup! I thought they were long done with the Double R by the time Jason S. got to town?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: When Lynch shot the location stuff for the Part 8 1950s material, in October/November 2015, he’s still telling the actors they’re hearing a mechanical voice from the radio, which was the original scripted idea (and the way Mark describes it in TFD). It appears he didn’t come up with the idea for the “This is the water” speech until they were shooting the radio station stuff in the studio months later in April.
...and, he also refers to the way Naido talks as “mechanical”! Hmmmm.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cool little moment: Robert Forster is setting his watch while shooting the Naido / golden pool stuff and says, “Jesus! 2:53. We’re one minute off that right now.”

It never registered with me before, but it looks like they made Andy’s hair and eyebrows much whiter than Harry Goaz’s were in real life.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:...and, he also refers to the way Naido talks as “mechanical”! Hmmmm.
Oh wow, so some of what that would have looked like was indeed in the series all along. Interesting!

I'm only to Part 3 in my slow, slow go through the new stuff. Nae Yuki shows remarkable go-getter spirit in completely going with the flow, flying backwards completely blind.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Can anyone confirm if there is any reason to keep the entire mystery or limited event series boxes?

By the way, my inner carton was ripped so I got a replacement, which ended up having a bumped corner and minor damage inside the box. So I had to choose which damage annoyed me the least.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I went with the one that had the bumped corner, a small tear on the inside (on the red room curtains) and a crease on the carton lid.

I figured that was better than a torn carton that was also beginning to come unglued.

Then I noticed both cartons were coming unglued. No big deal. I can glue it back.

This is really cheap packaging.

I was actually able to draw over the small tear with red and black ink and now you can’t even notice it unless you know where to look.

I hate being OCD about this stuff, but there is no way I’m ordering a third replacement, especially since the discs are almost perfect.