Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Ickles »

Noidea wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:08 am I don’t know if this has been discussed here but I came across this (translated) interview with Sherilyn Fenn. There is no link to the source so take it with a grain of salt.

Russian newspaper Izvestia spoke with Sherilyn Fenn on the eve of the premiere at the Moscow Film Festival of the new film "The Immortalist", shot by Russian emigrant Vladislav Kozlov.

— Do you watch the weather forecasts from David Lynch on YouTube?

— No, no way! (laughs) David is very nice, but I'm not going to do that!

— Do you plan to shoot with him somewhere else?

— We didn't discuss it. I know he's filming a TV show right now, but it's all shrouded in mystery. And I'm not there. But I don't get upset. In the end, let the others have a chance too. I got mine, and I can't take it away from me. David put an end to the third season — and okay, let's move on.

— Do you blame Lynch for the fact that instead of a spin-off about Audrey, he ended up shooting "Mulholland Drive" with other actors?

— Yes, he told us during the filming of "Twin Peaks" that he wanted to make such a movie. And that Audrey was going to Hollywood. Of course, I immediately agreed, but the project never took place. But that's his business, why should I be angry about it? If he saw someone else in this role, it means that he needs it, he is the author. If he invites me to any project, even for a tiny stage, I will immediately agree. You see, this person met me, talked to me for fifteen minutes — and wrote the role of Audrey Horn specifically for me, which was not in the script at all! He is not just a great director — he is able to look right into your soul and see it as it is. When you work with him, you just lose yourself in the boundless trust in him, and that's fine.
Thanks for this, Noidea. Interesting!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I mean, if she’s not in it, she’s probably just going off the same rumors as the rest of us.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I feel like Audrey's story was told - at least I was quite satisfied with it, and I think that Lynch may feel her story is done too - so even if Sherilyn Fenn isn't in the new project, it still does not necessarily mean it's not Twin Peaks. As was discussed before, the only people that I think are necessary at this point are David Lynch, Kyle MacLachlan, and Sheryl Lee.

When she says she knows he's filming a TV show right now, I wonder is she just responding to the rumors - which would be my guess - or she really knows something?
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Some of the translation might be off. Did she mean he put a stop to the fourth season (not the third season)? I do wonder if one was planned a few years back and he told the cast there would be more but he decided against it and if that could have led to falling out with Frost (if they even ever fell out which is just another rumour). I also wonder why she's sharing Wisteria posts then (apart from the rumours) - like why bother if she's not in it or not expected to be in it. The new project could definitely be a new TV show though unrelated to TP. This interview makes that sound like what's happening, but I'd take it all with a grain of salt for a variety of reasons for now tbh.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 am I feel like Audrey's story was told - at least I was quite satisfied with it, and I think that Lynch may feel her story is done too - so even if Sherilyn Fenn isn't in the new project, it still does not necessarily mean it's not Twin Peaks. As was discussed before, the only people that I think are necessary at this point are David Lynch, Kyle MacLachlan, and Sheryl Lee.
I would include Audrey there. Some of the original cast members still in the town itself have stories untold yet they still feel much more complete than Audrey's. It's the three characters outside of the town (Audrey could be in the town in an institution but we never actually saw her in the town) that feel incomplete to me. So I'd feel that any potential continuation should focus on Richard and Carrie - and Audrey should make some appearance somewhere, maybe bumping into Richard or Cooper, or having him go find/rescue her. A reunion between those two characters seems like something that's too good not to do eventually. But yeah, those are the three characters that feel the most incomplete and essential to me, Audrey perhaps more peripheral than the other two, but still valid imo.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 am Some of the translation might be off. Did she mean he put a stop to the fourth season (not the third season)?
I think she actually meant to say that Lynch put an end to Audrey's story in Twin Peaks, which occurred in season 3. I think it was poorly translated, but in the context of that whole section, that is what I guess she meant.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's still strange that she would say that as, if anything, it felt like Audrey's story had just begun and was left as much on a cliffhanger as Richard and Carrie's/Dale and Laura's. Even if it was in Part 16 and not 18, Audrey in front of the mirror felt like as big a cliffhanger as Laura's scream (at least they would in a more traditional television show, in Lynch world I suppose you could interpret them as endings).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

@fatecolossal on twitter reporting that Lynch's weather report was 30 minutes later than usual today, "a little out of the ordinary for him".

They go on to say:

Still, no serious signs that any filming on anything has begun, suggesting that ProductionList’s report seven weeks ago that filming on UNRECORDED NIGHT would begin May 3 (today) was either baseless, or at least used old information that has since shifted.

Production Weekly, by some accounts the more respected source, had earlier just listed May (no specific date in it) as the projected time for filming to begin, though their last report on it came back in February - so the prod. timeline may have shifted since then.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't know how any of this is a sign one way or the other that filming has/hasn't begun. Unless someone is camped out across from the studio, there's no way to tell, is there? (And are any fans in the area scoping things out?)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am @fatecolossal on twitter reporting that Lynch's weather report was 30 minutes later than usual today, "a little out of the ordinary for him".

They go on to say:

Still, no serious signs that any filming on anything has begun, suggesting that ProductionList’s report seven weeks ago that filming on UNRECORDED NIGHT would begin May 3 (today) was either baseless, or at least used old information that has since shifted.

Production Weekly, by some accounts the more respected source, had earlier just listed May (no specific date in it) as the projected time for filming to begin, though their last report on it came back in February - so the prod. timeline may have shifted since then.
It was uploaded on time but "unlisted," meaning you can only view it with a link, which was late because the insta post was late.

So the key point to take is that they didn't do the social media post on time for some reason even though the video was on YouTube more-or-less the nornal time.

Some old uploads have been unlisted but finally made public when YouTube comments pointed it out.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

bob_wooler wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:51 am On yesterday's weather report Lynch asked the fans if it's OK to recycle the song mentions he's made this far (due to being out of ideas of more songs to share). So it seems he's not planning on "retire" from the reports for the time being.
That's interesting.

A fun thought popped into my head recently: I wonder if he could start using pre-recorded weather reports. See how long it would take to notice that the report was not actually always accurate for the day. It would be an interesting experiment in perception. And gives him an alibi of being at his workshop while he's actually working on something else somewhere. "Unrecorded night" has a new fun connotation!

And here he is talking about recycling songs!

No hay banda. There is no weather man.

PS. In other news, I have probably been in lockdown too long.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

To me, the Audrey scenes in Return are like having a mini Sam Shepherd or Edward Albee two hander play folded into the tapestry.

I think her character has a "rubber clown suit of negativity" as Lynch describes his pre TM life, she's angry, wants more out of life, and she's blaming external forces like her environment and other people for her distress, unhappiness. the dance could be symbolism for the answers coming from within, re discovering her sexuality, confidence, the things she loves about herself, her waking up, may be self realization with the mirror, taking charge of her own destiny. that may be where her story ends.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Mon May 03, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

He also could be recording it earlier than it’s posted. I’ll only take note if he stops doing them, or if it starts being dark out (or first light) in the videos. I know DKL was doing some pretty early days on TR, but it’s certainly possible that with a more forgiving shooting schedule, mostly studio work, etc., he could be leaving the house well after sunrise.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Is the studio so out of the way that no fans are scoping it out? Or how does information that something is filming usually start to trickle out?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Or are TP fans just not that stalkery? :lol: