Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by underthefan »

Of course, Histeria! I didn't mean to suggest I was frustrated by the conversation, but more so with the lack of any concrete information. Until we know more, I guess it's just shooting in the dark. I think it behooves us all to stay patient and open minded. I'll be happy with whatever Lynch has in store!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

My blind grasp at clouds for the day: Today is World Bee Day and there are lots of Bee references abound re: Wisteria/Unrecorded Night.

See you tomorrow for theories on how Lynch's next work links to the "International Day for Biological Diversity".

I think I'm gonna follow underthefan and check out for a few days :lol:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

David Lynch confirmed to direct the next BumbleBee Transformers movie
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Histeria wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:44 am Also, $85m isn't that much for Netflix series orders. They spent hundreds of millions on The Irishman despite getting far more financial benefit from a mid-ranking series than a hugely successful one-off film.

I'd actually be more surprised if the budget didn't exceed the rumoured $85m.
Let's see. The rumors were pointing to either 13 or 25 episodes. We can compare it to a list of the most expensive Netflix shows.
85/13 = 6.53 mil per ep. Putting it between House of Cards (5m per ep) and Altered Carbon (both 7m per ep).
85/25= 3.4 mil per ep. Putting it between Narcos (2,5m per ep) and Orange is the New Black (4m per ep).

It may seem like a lot for a Lynch production, but then again, it doesn't seem THAT unlikely. Though in the first instance it will probably not be a commonly known hit as most of the mentioned above, it is way more likely to vastly outlive the cultural significance of all of the above and hold it's value for a long time.
Heck, look at what at Sense8 got.

85 mil is significantly more than the average netflix show would get for a season though.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu May 20, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Oddly, What's on Netflix threw this line into their coverage of Twin Peaks S1&S2 leaving Netflix (https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leavin ... july-2021/:
Now David Lynch fans will still want to cling on to their Netflix subscriptions. His short movie WHAT DID JACK DO? will remain on Netflix for the foreseeable plus last November, we reported on the fact he’s likely reteaming up with Mark Frost on a new project that’s going under the name of Unrecorded Night.
But in the original piece from last November they are referencing it explicitly quotes Mark Frost saying he's not involved. Either they know something we don't or they got their facts wrong. I'm betting on the latter.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah. That's just an error.
JordinGoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by JordinGoff »

I remembered reading this article when the Dark Crystal was cancelled, about an executive being let go:

https://www.spoilertv.com/search?max-results=40

“In an article by The Hollywood Reporter discussing Netflix letting go long time executive Cindy Holland, they discussed Holland being responsible for several expensive shows that did not perform for the streamer“.

That was the September of 2020. Would the timeline make sense for the possibility that David Lynch’s meeting at Netflix was with a former exec who was more open to funding big projects that would be considered more weird or niche? I remember being surprised (but delighted) that The Dark Crystal was coming back with a big budget series, being a bit of a cult classic in some ways. I know that David Lynch is pretty widely beloved and his work is not as niche as it sometimes feels.

What Did Jack Do was 2017. I was wondering if the Production Weekly date could have come from a previous arrangement that has since moved elsewhere after Netflix shifted personnel.

All just waiting room induced speculation. I would do more “research” and read the thread pages I’ve missed, but a big work deadline is sadly preventing that. Thought it might be something worth thinking about (or easily dispelling) in lieu of actual news, as ill informed as it is. I suppose we would have heard about a Lynch project at Netflix getting the plug pulled, and it’s probably unlikely that they’d even do that but my brain is just wandering today. I still choose to believe that something is happening somewhere.
Last edited by JordinGoff on Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

What if Netflix is keeping Twin Peaks and adding The Return in a seperate deal that will go live sometime between the current one lapsing and Unrecorded Night releasing.

What if Unrecorded Night is announced on or just after the day Netflix's current Twin Peaks licencing deal ends.

https://twitter.com/BigLeeMarvinFan/sta ... 56768?s=19

This guy is a top tease on Insta btw. Mostly in stories that he posts and deletes within an hour or so. A few months ago I downloaded Insta for a week or so for a bit of casual Twin Peaks stalking before realising how absurd that whole endeavour was and swiftly deleting it. And my biggest takeaway was Ray teasing stuff with superelaborate stories that he'd delete within minutes sometimes.

Though I shoud caveat that with the possibility he's just being a fan. And if so that's really endearing too.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

George Griffith is definitely one of us, been a fan since the 90s and was lucky enough to get the role in The Return. A really nice guy.

I also just learned that The Return is NOT available on Paramount Plus (only S1/S2 are). The only way to watch The Return as it turns out is through Showtime app or Hulu with Showtime add-on. Looks like Showtime is keeping The Return close to the vest. Make of that what you will.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

underthefan wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:19 am George Griffith is definitely one of us, been a fan since the 90s and was lucky enough to get the role in The Return. A really nice guy.

I also just learned that The Return is NOT available on Paramount Plus (only S1/S2 are). The only way to watch The Return as it turns out is through Showtime app or Hulu with Showtime add-on. Looks like Showtime is keeping The Return close to the vest. Make of that what you will.
He's also a very close friend of Lynch!

Interesting on the Showtime front. Also interesting is how Showtime's Twin Peaks handle suddenly stopped engaging on Twitter at some point. It didn't even push the Vannen watches for weeks until (I assume) someone asked them to.

They'd posted regularly before suddenly stopping a few months ago. I'd wondered if this was leading up to them selling or relinquishing the rights to the show. I think that possibility still remains. Especially when they seem to be going towards consolidation of assets in P+.

It's also interesting how CBS are being a lot more protective of their merch and image rights since 2019 or so. Seems counterintuitive that they'd only start enforcing it long after the show had exited the daily conversation. They refused some design ideas that Vannen proposed for watchfaces and wanted to lean on fan publications before Frost stepped in to warn them off. Plus the fan convention thing.

To me it feels like they want to control what they have left after losing the "crown jewel" of the actual series (either selling the rights or just not having the next instalment). But it could just as easily be them gearing up to release a new one themselves or on P+.
Last edited by Histeria on Fri May 21, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 am Also interesting is how Showtime's Twin Peaks handle suddenly stopped engaging on Twitter at some point. It didn't even push the Vannen watches for weeks until (I assume) someone asked them to.

They'd posted regularly before suddenly stopping a few months ago. I'd wondered if this was leading up to them selling or relinquishing the rights to the show. I think that possibility still remains. Especially when they seem to be going towards consolidation of assets in P+.

It's also interesting how CBS are being a lot more protective of their merch and image rights since 2019 or so. Seems counterintuitive that they'd only start enforcing it long after the show had exited the daily conversation. They refused some design ideas that Vannen proposed for watchfaces and wanted to lean on fan publications before Frost stepped in to warn them off. Plus the fan convention thing.

To me it feels like they want to control what they have left after losing the "crown jewel" of the actual series (either selling the rights or just not having the next instalment). But it could just as easily be them gearing up to release a new one themselves or on P+.
They were bound to stop posting regularly at some point, though, for a limited series that ended in 2017. I did often wonder were they expecting another season as they posted for so long. Maybe that was an unofficial plan for a long time. Then Netflix outbid them or Lynch decided to do a new show. Or maybe there's still a Showtime plan for all we know with these rumours. Netflix isn't certain and has been removed from at least one PW listing, so we'll see.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Many people seem to be assuming that if an actor is friends with Lynch, they’ll know something. It’s worth noting that when Naomi Watts (who was semi-regularly visiting Lynch at his house) was initially given the pages for TR, Lynch did not tell her that the project was TP or that “Dougie” was Cooper. She said she guessed it from context clues, but knew not to ask him.

Actors know what they need to know in Lynch-land, even his friends. If George Griffith isn’t in it, there’s no reason to assume he knows boo. And if he IS in it, he presumably signed an NDA and wouldn’t be posting even hints.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wonder what the context clues were - references to coffee and cherry pie, the shot of the owl, etc.?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:02 am I wonder what the context clues were - references to coffee and cherry pie, the shot of the owl, etc.?
edit: [intense ominous whooooooooooooooshing]

Anyway. Today was both the day Season Three debuted on Showtime and the day submitted to PW for the start of filming all the way back when.
Last edited by Histeria on Fri May 21, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.