NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I'm not one of these weird trailer fetishists - I don't care if I never see one again, for anything - but that promo really hit the spot
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Oooh, are FWWM haters gonna be pissed at how prominently the movie is featured in this trailer?? :lol:
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

That's a great trailer if you've seen the show but a terrible one if you have not.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Well we got some new tree footage!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:That's a great trailer if you've seen the show but a terrible one if you have not.
Yeah, I think the idea was sort of like "Previously on..." to prepare for the new season. And usually when they do clips like that (for most TV shows), it's to highlight story elements and points that will be relevant to the upcoming episode.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

That footage could all be used as a 'Previously on Twin Peaks...' to catch up those too lazy to watch the original series and FWWM.

The only thing missing from the trailer was The Ring- I would think that viewers should know some basics about the ring before watching the new season.

EDIT: underthefan beat me to the 'Previously on..' analogy.

I take it this trailer will be the workaround for the completely uninitiated viewer and I would not be surprised to see it played immediately before The Return premiere episode airs.

My guess is that this is it as far as trailers- we are not likely to get anything else of substance and this could be the last trailer period.
Last edited by mtwentz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Notice the absence of "How's Annie?"

So curious as to how, or if, that will be addressed.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Ross wrote:Well we got some new tree footage!
Yes, we did! And accompanied by that white noise and rumbling bass, it made my day.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:Notice the absence of "How's Annie?"

My guess is that they decided to drop the character for The Return, and playing the 'How's Annie?' just builds expectations that she will be in the new show, so they are editing that part out.
Last edited by mtwentz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Dalai Cooper wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:This may be worth its own thread, but for those of you who do like to engage with the critical conversation around twin peaks, are you planning to do so when the series is airing? I've been completely immersed in twin peaks stuff for the last few years, checking these boards daily, listening to umpteen podcasts and following sundry tp social media accounts, but part of me is considering taking a break from all that for a bit after May 21. It isn't quite the weariness with insta-takes and knee-jerk reactions others have expressed - I enjoy reading what people think in real time and will at some point go back to check all the thinkpieces - it's just that with the original series, I had a lot of time to figure out my own ideas about what it meant to me, before diving in to everyone else's theories and opinions. It had time to percolate free of outside input, which we all know is important.
I'm definitely going off the grid. Much for the same reason as you, to come to my own conclusions and interpretations, but also to avoid the cacophony. Places like this forum and elsewhere will be awash with people rushing to comment and theorize and it will be difficult at best to have a coherent conversation. Much to what I'd guess would be quite few people's satisfaction I'll likely be bowing out of these conversations until I'm prepared for a proper post-mortem when it's all over.

-Mordeen
Isn't this easier said than done, though? Checking this site 100 times a day has become a reflex for me and I will feel the absence of my favourite podcast and other content providers very keenly. I'm just banking on the series itself providing enough sustenance for those months, but I'm sure I'll crack at least a few times.

And your posts would be much missed, I'm sure! But in any case, look forward to picking it up in September :)
I've never listened to a single podcast. I only scan articles for new info, only to be frequently disappointed by empty fluff pieces. Since the spoiler thread went down I only come here in fits and starts. It'll be easy enough because of all of the noise. I look forward to returning when the entire series is over and it can be viewed as a whole. And someone is likely to guess the ending and theorize on it in here. I don't want that.

-Mordeen

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment. I try to be a positive and meaningful contributor here, but sometimes I digress.
Last edited by Mordeen on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moving Through Time. . .
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

mtwentz wrote:

My guess is that they decided to drop the character for The Return, and playing the 'How's Annie?' just builds expectations that she will be in the new show, so they are editing that part out.
It could just be that it's too much of a non-sequitur for a trailer that otherwise doesn't include Annie.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

mtwentz wrote:

They definitely seem to be retconning her out of existence... Hmm.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

Totally retconning her out would be super lame.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
underthefan wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Totally retconning her out would be super lame.
I believe it's more likely that she died or left town off screen. Mentioning her name during the promos builds anticipation that Annie will be in The Return.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

underthefan wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Oooh, are FWWM haters gonna be pissed at how prominently the movie is featured in this trailer?? :lol:
FWWM haters have had plenty of time since Lynch's surprise appearance at the TCA event to brace for impact. If they haven't come to terms with it by now, they may never.

Meanwhile, doesn't that trailer just beat all? Just a tidbit of b-roll of the trees, as a cherry on top of a well edited recap. Almost as good as their FWWM promo. Almost.

"The Darkness of Future Past." Time, time, time. And places. And spaces. Intercourse between two worlds, and the gateway opens in thirty days.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .