Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by djsunyc »

we or officially done with the 1st half of the show...and we are still dealing with dougiecoop...amazing.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

djsunyc wrote:we or officially done with the 1st half of the show...and we are still dealing with dougiecoop...amazing.
DougieCoop is clearly part of the story that Lynch and Frost wanted to tell here. It's best to accept that.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

AgentEcho wrote:
djsunyc wrote:we or officially done with the 1st half of the show...and we are still dealing with dougiecoop...amazing.
DougieCoop is clearly part of the story that Lynch and Frost wanted to tell here. It's best to accept that.
i'm cool with it - i'm just super surprised.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Audrey Horne wrote:No, that was just in the pilot. But the iconic image is too strong to just be there as a coincidence.

Yay, Charlotte Stewart!
She wore the red shoes in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShycrIvUzew
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I liked this episode a lot! It isn't one of my favorites but it was still a solid part. I loved that so many storylines were converging.

The editing, however, was pretty painful. Maybe the team was fatigued after part 8 but the constant jumping around in locales and intercutting between scenes that obviously were one scene to begin with was jarring. I wish the beats flowed together a little better. Jerry and his shoe, while funny, was in the middle of sequences that had nothing to do with it. Having all but one Horne family member in the same episode doesn't mean their scenes flow together.

Was anyone else confused by Lucy's end game with the chair? Lol. I couldn't tell if she was being sweet or manipulative somehow? I think it was the latter. She really wanted the red chair, she pretended she wanted the beige chair so Andy would "give in" to the chair she didn't want and then she could look like the innocent when she got the red chair, which is what he wanted.

Can someone explain Albert's "fruitcake" comment to me? I hope it wasn't meant as an offensive term re: sexuality.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

vicksvapor77 wrote:.

Can someone explain Albert's "fruitcake" comment to me? I hope it wasn't meant as an offensive term re: sexuality.
Are you seriously hoping that Albert is not offensive ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:.

Are you seriously hoping that Albert is not offensive ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In that specific way? Yes lol. I just googled it, apparently it also refers to a "completely insane person." That makes more sense.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Esselgee wrote:Eric Rondell as Johnny Horne. He seems to be a stunt man and not an actor. His head injury is similar to Ben's from Doc Hayward. Hopefully, Johnny survives. Was that supposed to be inside the Great Northern?
Yeah, I was wondering what the heck was going on with that scene. Didn't realize it was either of them. Not sure how I feel about that...
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I liked this episode a lot! It isn't one of my favorites but it was still a solid part. I loved that so many storylines were converging.

The editing, however, was pretty painful. Maybe the team was fatigued after part 8 but the constant jumping around in locales and intercutting between scenes that obviously were one scene to begin with was jarring. I wish the beats flowed together a little better. Jerry and his shoe, while funny, was in the middle of sequences that had nothing to do with it. Having all but one Horne family member in the same episode doesn't mean their scenes flow together.

Was anyone else confused by Lucy's end game with the chair? Lol. I couldn't tell if she was being sweet or manipulative somehow? I think it was the latter. She really wanted the red chair, she pretended she wanted the beige chair so Andy would "give in" to the chair she didn't want and then she could look like the innocent when she got the red chair, which is what he wanted.

I took it to mean Bill was mentally unstable. Nothing sexual at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

vicksvapor77 wrote: Was anyone else confused by Lucy's end game with the chair? Lol. I couldn't tell if she was being sweet or manipulative somehow? I think it was the latter. She really wanted the red chair, she pretended she wanted the beige chair so Andy would "give in" to the chair she didn't want and then she could look like the innocent when she got the red chair, which is what he wanted.

If Lucy wanted the red chair the whole time she could have just agreed immediately when Andy wanted it. I think it was meant as a genuine moment of sweetness between the two, but there may have been some significance to a chair discussion happening shortly before a scene where Betty Briggs reveals the Major's Clue Tube in the chair (which was the same color, incidentally). Speaking of which it does seem odd that Bobby took such a long time to reveal that he knew how to open it. Maybe he just remembered the moment he started smiling.

Given it's established Bill Hastings was in love with Ruth Davenport in that scene I doubt that's what Albert meant.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

you've never heard the phrase, "Nutty as a fruitcake" before? Albert is just reinforcing that Hastings is off his rocker, one hinge short for a door, elevator not reaching the top floor.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

GoodMorningAmerica wrote:I'm thinking the red shoes evoked a memory of Diane. Diane was wearing red shoes in this ep, and they are probably a staple in her wardrobe. Don't think we ever saw Coop interact with Audrey when she was wearing red shoes.
I think the significance was just "shoes," period (the rest - Audrey, hell, The Wizard of Oz - just being nice add-ons). We keep getting indications that Coop needs his shoes to fully come back.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Eric Rondell as Johnny Horne. He seems to be a stunt man and not an actor. His head injury is similar to Ben's from Doc Hayward. Hopefully, Johnny survives. Was that supposed to be inside the Great Northern?
Yeah, I was wondering what the heck was going on with that scene. Didn't realize it was either of them. Not sure how I feel about that...
I gathered it was Johnny from his name being said... I definitely didn't realize that the woman was Sylvia without the credits. I wonder how soon after the Ben scene was because he wasn't acting like someone who was aware his son was either badly injured or dead. There doesn't seem to be any windows in that office, but it still looked like it was night from the lighting. I seem to remember the scenes where he is talking to Jerry being lit differently.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

AgentEcho wrote:If Lucy wanted the red chair the whole time she could have just agreed immediately when Andy wanted it. I think it was meant as a genuine moment of sweetness between the two,
Lucy's little smirk indicates otherwise to me. I think it's just a way for her to win while also looking like the good guy.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Esselgee wrote:Well, I guess we now know that Tim Roth isn't playing Philip Jeffries.
Thank God.